Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Dahlia's manor - image heavy

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
So, as a class assignment I had to design a mad scientist, monsters and some environment. More specifically :

icx0FY.png

igFP6.jpg

Comes out I really liked working on it and I'm trying to convert the artworks into a UDK level.

I've begun a blockout in 3dsmax :

ihyAm.png

And I've also done some work on the rooftops and attic :

icZJM.png

And also the Atrium

icx7e0.png

now I'm not certain I'm doing things in the right order, or if there is any guideline I'm missing.

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I think its crazy to take on both environment and characters like these. But I think its safe to say that if a studio put this type of workload on to you, they would leave it up to you to decide what to start with first. Here is what I would do, first block out the scene but don't worry about the little details like the pipe organ and the robot crane, then do the characters, that way the props can be geared towards the characters and can be sized and custom fitted.
  • Taylour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love your concepts. I agree with polygonfreak, this is a huge project. I'm excited to see where it goes!
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the cheers :)

I think I'll focus on the Atrium for now.

I've done a rough work for the stain glasses windows. At first, since I'm aiming at a victorian architecture + streamline decorations, They were quite abstract, until I noticed some of my sketches looked like a praying woman, so i worked this way.

itPJo.png

I'm not sure where this dahlia is going to land, I presume it's going to be in the dining room or the main hall.

icF9Am.png

THey're both vector drawing, and lack some photoshop post treatment, at least for now.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it!

But I think you might of bitten off more than you can chew, that's a pretty massive project for an assignment. I think when they said an environment they had in mind one of the highlighted detailed areas on your concept not an entire mansion. To get all this done in time you'll probably end up cutting a lot of corners. It might be better to focus on one area and really make that environment great and work on creating 1-2 shots with some amazing composition.

Then later if you have time outside of school work on more, because it is a really cool project, just gigantically huge.
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with Mark on this one.
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iyKLk.png

To make thing clear, this is not my class assignement. The exercise was to design a mad scientist, monsters, and a possbly some scenery and props...

And I went a bit overboard with scenery.

So, yes, I went overboard, and I thought I would just make a level out of it. It's really too much to chew, but I get to chew slowly, spending a couple hours a day on it, to get my mind out of the boring stuff I actually have to do.