Home Unreal Engine

modo 2 UDK

Hi you all.
Is there anyone who exports meshes from modo to UDK? If so, which pipeline he/she follows, please?
Also, someone recently shifted doing the same from LW to modo?
Thank you.

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I usually just export to fbx. However normals always get messed up so I have to bring it into Maya to set the normals >_<

There was a fbx export script on the Luxology forums that someone made. But I couldn't get it working for me.

There's also an ase export script somewhere but I don't know where it is.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe wrote: »
    I usually just export to fbx. However normals always get messed up so I have to bring it into Maya to set the normals >_<

There was a fbx export script on the Luxology forums that someone made. But I couldn't get it working for me.

There's also an ase export script somewhere but I don't know where it is.

Yep, I tried that .ase script sometimes ago, but it did not work well and moreover I don't tink it works anyway with 501.
    I've had the very same experience as you, and I'm distressed, Modo being so good at many things. But UDK is a must for me, by now.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Static Models? wouldn't it be the easiest to export to OBJ?
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e-freak wrote: »
    Static Models? wouldn't it be the easiest to export to OBJ?

yep, static meshes. no problem to import them as meshes (I mean without textures, but who could wish to do that?), but the fbx exportes in modo is way too simplistic for the task and is plagued by the same problem as obj exp (everytime, you get a popup warning that multiple textures are not supported).

Sad to say, I'm reverting to old LW (no prob with textures), and always keeping my even more old XSI 7.

Jeez, maybe I'm growing old, but those oldies (6-7 yrs. ago) sw and games are still topgun for me. Anyone here not in love with HalfLife2?
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autodesk FBX 2006.11 format worked the last time I tried it, no vetex colors though.

The "regular" Autodesk FBX file format is totally borked with UDK, don't even bother with that one.

Collada DAE will work ok too, though it has scale issues and the vertex colors don't transfer over properly either. This seems to be an issue with UDK though because with Unity it works much better.

FBX script by Chai should work, it works great with Unity and xNormal.

The ASE script also seemed to work ok the last time I tried it, though it's very particular about how you name your UVs and vertex color maps.

EDIT:

More of my related findings here.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the fbx exporter on maya 2012 and on blender can get stuff into udk with smoothing intact.

also you could try collada, or export to anything that keeps your smoothing and use the autodesk fbx converter.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, pals.
    If you use Blender, you want to take a look at this url:

http://campagnini.net/2011/04/16/ase-export-for-blender-2-57/

I found the py script rather useful.
    Blender is coming to be a hard gamer, I guess.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks, pals.
    If you use Blender, you want to take a look at this url:

http://campagnini.net/2011/04/16/ase-export-for-blender-2-57/

I found the py script rather useful.
    Blender is coming to be a hard gamer, I guess.

i still think exporting fbx from blender works better, dont need to havet h exporter do the smoothing groups i can just mark edges sharp and use the edge spilt modifier, with explict normals checked on the import.

though it is rare that i use blender since i do most of my modeling in silo and maya now.