Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JeepHouse prop - crits needed!

Hello All!

Here is a prop piece I'm working on for Fat Unicorn Games current game project.
This is very much Work in Progress, so spec map and normal maps are still to be added.

I'm happy for all feedback given, so don't hesitate to have your say!
Best regards,

Akula

WIP_Showoff_Jeephouse_polycount.jpg

Replies

• fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Is the diffuse map done? Becouse everything still green... seat, light, glass, etc.
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    As Fabio said, you need a lot more variation on the jeep texture. Add some scratches, more dirt on the lower parts, make a fabric cover on the seat, eyelids, and so on.
    There's a lot of ditsorsion to correct on the tendage texture (look at the shiny angle), and then add some creases to make it look better.
    Also, baked ambient occlusion can lead to neat results.
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabio and Mr_Drayton - Thank you so much for posting!
    And no, the diffuse is not anywhere near final yet - I'm working on it right now, and I'll post an update in a few hours time!

The "tent part" needs a lot more added to it, as you say, and my idea is to take it into Zbrush to "wrinkle it up" a bit and from there make a decent normal map.
    Some bumps will be added to the whole car body that way too...

I absolutely agree that the jeep needs mor colour. I'm in the process of putting in rust stains and scratches as we speak!

Stay tuned - more to follow... :-)

//Akula
  • Mr_Drayton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr_Drayton polycounter lvl 14
    Oh, well then, I wrongly thought you only had to finish specular and bump maps! I'll wait for the update. :)
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again - here's an update with the new diffuse (not completely final, but almost) Hopefully the specular shows a bit as well.

Keep posting crits, folks - I want this to become something truly good in the end...:\

//Akula

Showoff_Jeephouse_2.jpg
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks HboyBowen - that is a solid piece of advise.
    I'll have a look at a tutorial or two to see how it's done!

I work in Maya, which has nCloth, so I should be able to work it out.

Again, thanks. Keep the input flowin' !

//Akula
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    I want one, does it have room for a bed and a computer?
    but, yeah its looking good, only thing thats bugging me is the windshield seems higher than someone would actually be able to see, compare its height to the seats and its just a bit off.
    Thats not to say if it were a house it would need the windshield at the right height, but you get the idea.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    nCloth is definitely the way to go - It will really help with the cloth.

OhUgd.jpg

I guess I should talk about what I circled and wrote out - pretty much you just need to define different materials for the circled areas. It's not all going to be green metal. The tent poles should be different, the axles should be different.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Might be a bit nit picky, but if this jeep is in a jungle or desert or somewhere remotely and not in a city or somewhere similar that bubble gum pink graffiti just isnt cutting it. I dont know if people would really bother tagging up something like this and have some pink spray paint lying around..
  • Akula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hiyas all!

First - thank you all for all the feedback! It truly is a wonderful thing to get so much response! Here's the latest update - tell me what you think!

JeepHouse_inlamnad.png

@Hboybowen - I followed your advise and made a new canvas with the help of nCloth. It helped, haha! (I still feel I should make the canvas with even more polys, but I'm OK with it for now).

@ Seaseme - MANY thanks for your input. I absolutely agree than things need to be more defined, so hava a look at the update. I took your points to heart, and I think it in all looks quite OK right now.

@Bombshell - thanks for the headsup on the chair. You were right - it was far too deep. That has been corrected.

@Reverenddevil - I agree that the "bubble gum graffiti" wouldn't suit in a jungle setting. However - this "house" is a prop in our (Fat Unicorn Games) current game project Contained - set in an underground city in a not-too-far-distant dystopian future (not all unlike the setting in Metro 2033, but with a more open-shantytown urban feel to it). In that context, I feel it adds something as it emphasises the urban surrounding.
  • Katori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Katori polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great, what renderer is that? Could you flip the UV's on the seat on the ground so that it doesn't look like a repeat from the seat in the car in the beauty shot?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Looks a lot better! There's some weird ghosting around the edges of some of the objects. Also you can see black from the UV map on some of the edges of mattress and the 'tent', you could polypaint these out quite easily in zbrush, and in the newer, Pshop enabled, GoZ you can paint directly to texture. The headlights look a little off to me, they have quite a number of polygons, yet the 'tent' looks very angular and stiff still. You only really need to break up the edges of the mesh. The number plate looks quite clean still, compared to the rest of the jeep. The bricks could have some chipping and variation. I think the headlights could be a bit smashed too.