Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Slum in UDK

Replies

• Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks, thats nice to hear ^^

Some fast new props this evening. Need to pick up my pace a bit, hmm.

Well.jpg
    Door.jpg
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man great looking props, Thanks for the ASE info. How do you change your specs in Modo to match Unreals? I tried looking on Google but couldnt find anything. A dumb question but I just started using modo from maya, just wondering where you change the units and what units you set it to to match the UDK editor. Thanks man! Love the mech also...I cant wait to see more of that.
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah, when I open that link you posted to the ASE converter script..its just a bunch of text. I dont see an actual download?
  • holyjewsus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man great looking props, Thanks for the ASE info. How do you change your specs in Modo to match Unreals? I tried looking on Google but couldnt find anything. A dumb question but I just started using modo from maya, just wondering where you change the units and what units you set it to to match the UDK editor. Thanks man! Love the mech also...I cant wait to see more of that.

I think you hit the 'o' key to access units.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    oh my god everything is so delicious in this scene!! and damnit...you're fast O_O this stuff is inspirational to see ><
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12

just set it for generic units, 1 generic units = 1 unreal unit.

if you find you want to work in smaller units, just try to keep it to a power of 2 unit, and scale up on export.
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont see generic units, im in 501. What about game units?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default setting is one meter in modo = 1 unit in unreal :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    lookin awesome as usual. just wondering, how are you getting the "dirt" look on your HP renders? are you just changing the black in the AO to a dark orange?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: Yup! Simple as that :]

Another quick prop:

edit: this is a commercial sign hanging above stores etc. :]
    Commercial.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do you got a set of concepts or previous work you use for ideas or your making it all up as you go.

i really like the style of it all.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder polycounter lvl 5
    Dude, the video you posted a on page 3 was pretty awesome. I've been sub-D modeling for 3 years now, and I just now found out about the chamfer vertex technique you use for making quick holes. I use Maya to model, and when I saw you doing that stuff I instantly opened it up to find the equivalent solution.

I've been struggling to pick just one discipline to focus on for the past 2 years, and seeing your environment modeling workflow has nudged me closer to the hard surface environment area.

What are your thoughts on Maya/3ds Max compared to Modo in terms of modeling workflows? I have a college in my studio who swears by Modo, but I keep telling him that Maya is just as competent if u know what your doing in it. The only thing I am jealous of in Modo is the real time rendering and bake options.

Also your UDK renders are looking tight. I feel my time in Unity 3D has gimped my knowledge of the leap from modeling software to engine.

I also wanted to know how the studio at People Can Fly is like.

Btw you can't embed videos from Vimeo. You can embed Youtube vids pretty easy. Just copy and past the URL of the video on youtube and the forums do the rest.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @dproeder you might want to hear what Snefer word is, but i dint really see the modeling packages making a huge difference, since they all got comparable modeling tools. 3ds, maya or modo. it is just your knowledge of your packages that determines your work-flow and the speed you work at.

you will come to prefer one thing over the other but the same is possible on all these packages.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder polycounter lvl 5
    passerby wrote: Ā»
    @dproeder you might want to hear what Snefer word is, but i dint really see the modeling packages making a huge difference, since they all got comparable modeling tools. 3ds, maya or modo. it is just your knowledge of your packages that determines your work-flow and the speed you work at.

you will come to prefer one thing over the other but the same is possible on all these packages.

That is my mentality as well.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby: its about 50/50, half is made up as i go, half got sloppy concepts i have whipped up really quickly. All detailwork is made on the fly, only larger shapes are (sometimes) concepted.

dproeder: Well, i usually try to stay out of the application debate, but I have worked with a number of apps, and I think modo is superior. Its superfast for all kinds of modelling and unwrapping, straight out of the box, simple as that. Its a modern app built from the ground up to be a fast modelling application. The day I see someone impress me with their maya modelling, and a short learning curve and a streamlined interface, then ill be impressed by Maya again ^^ But again, just my opinion :P Its really late, so ill adress the other questions some other time, cheers!

Here is a quick wall to make up for app-flamewar:

wall8.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For starters, your hard surface modelling technique is amazing. and thats pretty much it, as i'm busy trying to replicate some of your techniques in max with mixed results.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    this is looking great! the modeling and texturing is ACE. I agree with adam about taking the bloom out though, makes the screenshots look really hazy
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Hazy is just another word for love... wait wut?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quickiequickie.

wall9.jpg
    commercial2.jpg
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    You rock, I admire your dedication to this. I want to be like you when I grow up! Lol. Awesome stuff man. Love it!
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    dude this is amazing !
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Can we see some wireframes of these wonderful props?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice! what size are you rendering your maps?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Snefer wrote: Ā»
    quickiequickie.

wall9.jpg
    commercial2.jpg

why you make-a me cry? Seriously, this is disgustingly gorgeous work. I'm so jealous I could barf my intestines out in rage.

In that first shot, is that normal map bumpiness along the wall? how are you getting that? Unless it's just spec, in which case, how are you getting that? ;)

I'm curious what your map sizes are as well. And are you putting all these textures into one large texture? I know I'm showing my ignorance there, but I'm really just starting on the environment work. I'm normally a character guy
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Lookin' good, Tor!
    I really like the design for the commercial sign thingy.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: Always render in 2k, more or less, right now im not caring alot about the texture-resolution, still havent hit the budget of currentgen consoles, so im cool in that aspect ^^

Jeremy-S: haha, thanks ^^ The normalmap bumpiness is a detailtexture that im using on all the metal objects right now, and its there partially to break up the cubemap reflections that I have on..everything ^^ My map sizes are mostly HUGE right now, pending between 512-2k, im not reusing much textures between props right now, could probably have done this and made the scene more technically impressive, but I do that all day long at the office, so I figured id just go crazy (but still keep within current gen xbox/ps3 limits) but I will probably downscale them later on as I need more memory :]

Also im keeping polycounts pretty low, the entire scene right now is under 500k triangles, that will probably skyrocket, but yeah, thats without LODs on any objects, etc, but almost no objects are over 500tris, and only a few over 1000 tris.
    Well, E3 is going on, so only bothered making a lamp ^^
    lamp.jpg
    Lowpolys.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ok. out of curiousity what sort of frame rate do you get in UDK?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havent checked actually, but I can check later. Running a pretty horrible computer at home, 9800GTX and 3gb RAM, 32-bit, but its still pretty smooth, so I would guess around 40 fps :]
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice stuff! It reminds me of the Unreal Tournament 3 game! :)
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    I would remove the two (4 total) attachments on the lamp that are supposed to hold the glass bowl. They don't make em like that anymore, I'm sure in the future it would also be without anything hindering the light. Awesome detail and scene so far, this is gonna be kick ass when finished!
  • KevinDuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd have to disagree. Having the attachments there holding the bulb makes this prop that much more interesting. breaks up the large amount of space that the bulb takes up.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    sup- thought I should chime in as I gave a critique to some other kid about his work- and he cited yours as reference. I wasnt trying to badmouth your work- your HP skills are extraordinary!
    One thing that I feel would make this scene start to sing is some large shapes- right now you have lots of super sexy high-frequency details- but I wanna see some BIG forms that guide the eye about- Like in this classic rage screen

The big form holding the fan in the background basically defines that scene. right now- your shape hierarchy reads: Large, vertical tall buildings, with small- to medium bits stuck on. and at the end of the day- there not much that DEFINES it.

this scene would be sex if you broke up some of those large vertical shapes, with something else thats large. The mech will probably help a lot- but maybe you can do some mechlike structural additions?

Think BIG
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstrukt: Yup, I know exactly what you mean, right now everything is looking kind of the same simply cause of the lack of variation in props, but it is something I am trying to remedy, have some larger props lined up, and I will try to separate the buildings more in style and uniqueness as I add new elements :) Right now im trying to get the asset library I need to take it to its "simplest" finished state :]
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, some commercial thingys. Ugh, working on so many things right now, haha. Lighting is a bit broken here, my poor computer did not want to bake lights, so its only preview lighting, and kind of messed up. tweaked the fog, added bloom, etc :]

signs3.jpg

city12.jpg
    city13.jpg
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, its coming along pretty well.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    contact hawken asap!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    look great , i have a little question .. are you using " environment color " in UDK ? or you just leave it black ? ^^"
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Artist @ People can fly/Epic games"

NOW it all makes sense :) Seriously, I think I might be falling in love... With these environments!!

You're keeping everything very low poly, so when you're making cables, do you use 2 sided polys, and alpha maps? Or do you actually make the cables?

One last question for this post, I'm trying to break up my surfaces, did you just put that detailtexture in your normalmap?

Freaking amazing work so far, man. Everything is STILL going to my inspiration folder. Oh, any progress on that texturing video? ;) Hope you didn't think we'd forget
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looks pretty cool. Is there any reason for the streets to be curved like that? Looks like one could even skate on them :)

I'm also not too sold on the curved lines on your main wall texture. Since they repeat so much they create a weird pattern that looks really detracting. Maybe it's just me but I really can't stop looking at the rounded corner in this pic: http://torfrick.com/Art/WIP/city12.jpg. Maybe you could add a huge advertising billboard there to hide the tiling!

Anyway, keep up the great work man.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    This is too GOD DAMN! purty!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44: Yes i am :]
    Jeremy-S: Yes, i make the cables with polys, not much more expensive polygonwise, and i use mine pretty upclose, so its totally worth it. The detailnormalmap is added on top of the regular normalmap with a higher tiling, and its just in the normalmap, yeah :]

Minotaur: yes, actually the streets are mud, and they are supposed to be sunken down, with water puddles in them :] Gonna add some makeshift walkways down in the mud aswell. Just havent got around to doing it properly yet ^^ Well, i will hide the tiling later, I plan to use alot of vertexpainting in this scene, which im yet to add, still in the stage of just cranking out all the assets I need to populate the scene :]
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    i know it's a bit late but the panelling on the buildings don't really feel like buildings.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Your detail normal map is to large. It just looks noisy. Id take it out, as the flat planes gives my eyes something to rest on in this rather busy environment.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt feel like doing more environments this week, so im playing around with this now during the weekend, wanted to do something more of a showpiece, so playing around with shaders and stuff. Ingame shot from UDK, no textures yet :]

Piranha.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Lemme just say, ur HP work is absolutely impeccable. However, I feel like the models lose a lot of their charm when they're ingame. It may just be the materials. I would work a little longer to use the Lerp node to differentiate between supper shiny/glossy metal and the very matte look of rust. Having cube map reflections would help too. :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoosterMAP: yeah, I know what you mean :] Right now everything is setup with one master material, so im just cranking stuff out, problem right now is that the scene is unpolished in terms of lighting, and the reflections that i have on everything is a bit messed up, but I will rebuild the reflection-part of the shader and every prop will update. Right now im basically making sure every asset looks decent and okay in the model viewer, and just throwing them in there. Reflections look way too strong in the shadows right now, and too strong overall, as does the detailnormal. Will also use masking for the detailnormal so it doesnt take over everything as much as it does now :]
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the shader a bit for more shaderfun! Added glow, some more depth to the ceramic plates, etc :]

Piranha2.jpg
  • ibarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibarter polycounter lvl 8
    Looks so fuckin awesome.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would love to see the material for this!!
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't stop staring at that pic. I LOVE that shader. I have no idea how to do anything with shaders in UDK, so it's even more cool for me. ;) Guess I better find a tutorial