Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Slum in UDK

Replies

• duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the rust texture work gives me a boner !!!

i want moar !!
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks really good
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    great work, look forward to seeing it develop!... any chance of doing a couple of shots of your asset library used for this scene?
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks for all the comments! Ill try to post some more pics of the props, and ll probably do a breakdown of the whole thing later on. :]
    Oniram: counting the different shapes of modules etc I think its about 45-50 props right now :]

Alright, so now I actually recorded a video of me modelling this prop:

wallmodule.jpg

But its like... 50 minutes, so I just need to speed it up and post it, and ill make on of the texturing aswell :]
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome! I look forward to seeing it. Whats the polycount on a piece like that, the in game version I mean.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget the baking part! I wants to see the modo magic going on!
  • Muttt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muttt polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome. Your props are all very unique and the textures are amazing.
  • Ron.S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The work is amazing can't wait to see the finished project ! Any chance you could point me the direction of baking my high res to a low res model ? Im also doing a scene and have run into that problem. Thanks

-ron.s
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, great work so far. Its really coming along! I had a few questions, as a guy switching from Maya to Modo.

1: How does the pipeline work for you? Do you do everything in Modo and export directly into UDK?

2: How did you render your HP models, was it in Modo? Maybe shed some light on that for us newbs using Modo :)

3: Curious about the overall workflow, do you do all your baking in Modo also including normals? and how to you derive your low res mesh, is there an easy way in Modo to do this or is it the same process as with any 3d program of just making one from scratch.

Sorry for all the questions but I am really curious. Id love to hear your answers. Thanks and look forward to seeing updates on this scene!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, will uppload a video soon :]

marq4porsche: I think the polycount ended up around 700 triangles, but then the cylinders have alot of sides, could probably pull it down a hundred or so :)
    Pedro: I skipped the baking and unwrapping part, cause it was a pain to record on two screens ^^ But I can show some screens and stuff, nothing complicated going on :]

Ron.S: There are plenty of tutorials, and the polycount wiki, you should check that out :]q

italian1x:
    1: Yes, I do everything in Modo, except sculpting, ofcourse. Im using a script to export straight to ASE format, it supports most of the features I need, including collision etc, the only problem Ive had sofar has been with vertex colours.
    2. Yup, its in Modo, pretty basic renders, just using some of the default scenes and cranking up the specular and roughness of the basic material and using global illumination + a directional light. Most of the time I dont bother with impressive renders, I try to let the finished prop speak for itself, since that is what matters.

3. I do all my baking in modo, unless its a highrez zbrush model. Eh, I derive my lowpoly from scratch, or clever reuse of the Highpoly :)
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, now I remember! We worked together on Eclipse back in the day, I'm the one who made the concept for that alien turret thing, funny :).

Looking good so far here! Loving the static meshes.
    Especially this module.jpg latest one.

Personally, I'm still having issues with the building.
    I would maybe try shading the buildings with a flat non-texture shader, and kindof build them like I'd model the props.
    You definitely have skill to make things look great, but as before the buildings just don't do justice to the props, it's a shame imo, but then again, maybe I just like different things.

Good luck and nice work!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2: Yeah, i know what you mean with the buildings, but I think that is something that will solve itself once I actually get all the modular pieces in, I will be breaking up the buildings as I add more props to the library, right now they are blocked out with only a few wallpieces, but I will be adding a few more to the mix, then start adding more unique designs to the buildings, and the final steps will be to add unique construction elements and focuspieces on them :]
  • JobyeK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
    Did you play Brink recently hehe ;)? Instantly reminded me of the slums a bit when I saw this last week. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer this is really good stuff, enjoying the progress, all the mechanical details work so well into the interesting shapes you have for the props. Textures are appealing. The signs are my favourites, neat touch.

Look forward to more.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I dont think their is a single edge in this scene that doesnt have rust caked on it. (would lessen that to some effect, as things are getting a bit noisy)
  • dtschultz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
    Looking forward to seeing where this one comes out. I really like some of the shapes and designs you've got for your modular pieces. Really cool stuff!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true: Yup! You are right about that ^^ Trying to pull it down on the newer props, will probably do a pass and make the textures match better value-wise aswell, brighten up the rust a bit :]

deciever: no, actually i havent got around to playing that yet :]
    So, here is a video, sorry about the quality, but i suck with these new fancy video recording devices and codecs and whatnot!

Anybody know how to embed a vimeo video? ^^

anyway: VIDEO!

http://vimeo.com/24273363
  • italian1x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great video man! Thats awesome. Lots of loop slicing and beveling action, I love it.

And thanks for answering my questions also. Where did you get your .ASE plugin?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    that was pretty beast, i wish the wireframe was a bit more visible since it was hard to tell whats separate and whats combined in the LP work.

thanks for the vid.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Thank you for the video!

Just finished watching it. If you had this in real-time, with audio commentary and include UV and texturing, I would totally buy it :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    You a fucking monster! I have a question for you, do you sketch shit up before you start, or is all this on the fly from your head?

Would be cool with a vid on your texturing to. Just to see what approaches you use on stuff!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great project and awesome vid. Keep going!
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no point posting some critics because your work is spot on. I love that grungy, dirty look that's like the original star wars movies
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Snefer wrote: Ā»
    Dont know what its supposed to be, but i felt like beveling!

I hear dat! I have no crits so far, this piece is great, the city really feels like it has its own aesthetic culture; slightly alien to us, but still very recognisable as near-future human. Great! :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Very impressive work. I'm blown away at the level of detail, and amazing design in this so far. Everything is dripping with coolness. I don't think it has enough windows for a place people would live or even work in, but I haven't read every post and could be off on that comment.

Are you planning a texturing video? That would be highly awesome if you did. :D
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    ...any chance you could do the whole project all over again whilst recording it?.. ;-) ...of course no, thanks for the vid!... a texturing video of course would be wunderbar!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    italian1x: here it is!

http://www.zspline.net/files/ASEExport4Unreal.lua

just save it, and run it! :] All instructions are in the scriptfile.

passerby: noted for next time, thanks!

alexk: thanks man ^^ Realtime is so slow though ^^ hehe

sltrOlsson: I do sketch shit up, sometimes just a line or two, sometimes a proper concept. Usually I plan ahead abit, for modularity, how to layout textures, what parts i can skip building etc. I usually doodle something to wrap my head around the prop, and then i just start building. Texturing video will be up next!

jeffro: thanks!

SinisterUrge: thanks alot, but crit away! ^^

Andreas: Im glad people like the style :] Hoopefully it will still feel coherent when its done, hehe.

Jeremy-S: Thanks! No, it doesnt have enough windows yet, havent built all the houses properly yet. Also its supposed to be storage that people were forced to move into in many cases, so dont wanna make it too homey :] I have started recording a texturing video now aswell :]
  • Paulod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulod polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work dude, very inspiring stuff.

How did you render your high poly mesh's? I remember seeing a tutorial that did something similar but I cant find it anywhere.
  • holyjewsus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really dig your style, and it's great that you have a clear enough concept to respond to questions of window placement.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Super clean HP work, loving it so far mate!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, some minor updates to the scene. :]

city7.jpg
    city8.jpg
    city9.jpg
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright then, BRING OUT THE MECHS! Since I didnt have enough to do, i started building a mech aswell, based on this concept by Khang Le:

Combat_bot_V1.jpg
    mech1.jpg
    mech2.jpg
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not only amazed by your beautiful art works but also how fast you build these things...
    Great!!!!!
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    dude you are a machine
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do really wish I could keep up the level of commitment you do, amazing work as always.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    That mech is looking really nice, as is the whole scene in general.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    hell ya dude, top-shelf
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Jesus dood, you're relentless! this is already awesome!!! can not wait to see more.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, im gonna try to post a video of the environment sometime this week, when its fleshed out enough to not look so boring :]
  • Fieldscarecrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fieldscarecrow polycounter lvl 11
    Nice shapes and forms. Are you looking at anything in particular for your reference or is this all your imagination? :)

Khang Le is awesome! Were you not feeling 3 legs on the Mech design? I like how much attention you've given to the detail in the concept, but I think the silhouette is stronger in the original and it'd be nice to see the subtle things translate at this level of detail, like those 3 pipes on the side being on a slight angle making it more interesting.

Inspiring Art! I look forward to the texturing vid.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Super inspiring art work and pace that you're going at. Mech looks awesome. Nice forms on the head of it. Anxious to see the legs further along. Maybe you'll have this all finished when I check back on this thread in 10 minutes.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer, thanks for addressing my post, it makes sense now. :)

Updates look amazing, and I'm seriously excited to see the finished version of that mech.

Side note: I'm struggling to get a dozen pieces made, and looking good. While I THINK you said you had about 45 pieces in this, a page or two ago. Blows me away. Also, I'm still trying to understand how to get a bunch of world assets, onto one 4k texture map... I don't know how you environment guys do it. You're amazing
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Take the bloom outta those shots. I typically hate giving this bit as feedback, but it feels true here: Vasoline on the lens.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Love it so far. Excellent job on the High Poly's and the scene is coming together nicely. Not a huge fan of the lighting at the moment. As Adam mentioned the bloom is far too strong and the shadowed areas feel too dark and colourless. I'd give your environment colour just a bit more saturation and either take down the brightness of your highlighted areas or increase the brightness in your shadows.

Everything else looks great. I especially like the hanging wires and pipes. Great stuff.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Your slum looks beautiful! I would really take some of the smog/fog away though...
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, i hear ya! Less fog now = less vaselin on lens! Lighting is still very WIP, basically none, i need to finish the signs and place streetlamps, and layout background houses so i know where my shadowed areas will be and where i can put dominant lights. Anyway, here is a couple if views from the second level :]

city10.jpg
    city11.jpg
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking sick as ever man. Absolutely love it.

You think you could post shots of all the assets you've made that make up this scene? I'm trying to get my head around how this kind of thing is made up, and seeing all the assets used would be a huge help for me. Thanks
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Yeah, sure I could do that, even though it would probably make more sense to do that later on when im finished with the assets and the scene, right now alot of things is placeholder etc :]
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whenever you'd think is best, man. I'd love to see them all done, so whenever that happens is cool with me :D

All of these shots are in my inspiration folder, btw.