Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Skinning issue

Hi there everyone,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me; I've been skinning a character for animation, but unfortunately I've come across a rather awkward error where the character's stomach 'collapses' in on itself when he bends down. I've spent quite some time using paint weights to try to fix this, but it doesn't seem like anything I do will improve it. I'm brand new to Skinning, but I'm quite stumped as to where I'm going wrong.

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

stickmanj.th.jpg

Is there anything I'm missing that might be causing the problem? I'm using 3ds Max 2011.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Good skinning requires good mesh topology and smooth blending between the joints. Unfortunately, your screenshot doesn't show the topology or the weighting of the area in question.

I never use paint weights on lower poly models. I just weight the vertices directly. I made this video clip a couple of years ago for a similar question. Maybe it'll help a little.

The basic idea is that you make the vertices rigid to the upper and lower spine bone, then use the blend tool to blend the weight of the middle spine bone into the upper and lower.

Spine skinning video