Home Technical Talk

How to export 3dsmax object to Zbrush?

Hi everybody!
There is one thing I wonder about which is very important to me right now. I would appreciate if somebody could help me.

I have done a model in 3d studio max. It is just sculptered and has a standard blinn material with some glossiness applyied to it. It has no texture. The model is not just one object but is containing of several objects. Just because I couldn´t model it as one solid object :( So the parts are now grouped to each other and they perform like one object. What I need now is to export the whole model into Z-brush.

Do I need to download any plugin to export this model. If yes, please specify the name of this plug in. The direct download link would be perfect! I have 3d studio max 7 for instance.

Will the whole model be exported to Z-brush without any problem? Even that glossy blinn material? Do I have to convert this model to editable mesh to be able to export it to Z-brush?

I would appreciate if you also could discribe how to export. I know just File-Export, but what to choose then?

Thank you :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Export as .obj, and it should import into zbrush just fine. Not sure about the editable poly thing, it's been a while since I've used 3DSM.

It wont import the material though, as zbrush uses it's own 'MatCap' system. There is one that resembles Max's default Blinn however.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    i use maya - so with that in mind i agree with cryrid, just export it out as a .obj

for having several meshes grouped together, it depends how you want to sculpt them, if you want to sculpt them as one piece, you can just combine them in 3DS into one mesh then export it, but im sure you wont like sculpting it as one big chuck so i suggest exporting each piece individual and importing them as different sub tools - this way you can hide/lock/move around each piece as you see fit

and for your blinn material - you can just reapply that in 3DS once you re-imported your newly sculpted mesh from zbrush if you wanted to
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    You can export several meshes in a single .obj (just make sure you have them all selected if you use "export selected") -- zbrush will then take each object and make it its own polygroup. No need to combine them before exporting.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    good to know, i haven't tried using poly-groups yet - just sub tools... i guess next time i should try it out : )
  • bludragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bludragon polycounter lvl 7
    Use go Max!
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=94822

lets you import/export seamlessly within the 2 programs, aslo exported texture files if you paint in zbrush, much better script than the GoZ update for max...