Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Study

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
So, im starting university next year at the ripe old age of 18 and a large focus of the course is anatomy. It's been a while since i did any real close studies of anatomy so i thought it's best that i start doing it alot more.

Anyway, this is what i've got so far, it's all a little smooth and lacking in detail at the moment... Please feel free to rip it apart and give critiques , its always helpful to get a more experienced out look on things.

1234.png

5.png

Cheers!

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more definition to the torso:
    6.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doubled checked proportions against skeletal structure.
    Proportions.png
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Nice start. The torso looks elongated. Try raising the hips up a bit. For the bicep it should tuck into the armpit instead of bulging out. Lower legs could be a bit longer.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    eur-vitruvian_man.jpg

also, you neutered him.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Lroy, ty for the advice.
    Hopefully this little tweak covers what you've mentioned. I haven't really started looking into detail at the arms and legs yet, so i'l add the bicep changes once i start going over the arms.

resize-gif.gif

@ Deja, i know there is a true love for penis' here on polycount, but i shall not play ball!
    Thanks again!
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    well, its not just about penis, but its about making something that looks human and not like a B Ken :P

At least try to add the bulk.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consider him bulkified (Not by much though, poor chap)! Also started to rough in some more forms on his shoulder and upper back. Still on sub level 3 at the mo
    bulk.png
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    A bit better yes ;)
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Not exactly an anatomy crit, but more of a workflow suggestion...

I would go over the whole model with the smooth brush to fix the lumpiness. Then i would step back down to lowest level and adjust the silhouette / proportions with the move tool. Gradually cut my way into it rather than try to add "bumps" to define muscles.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At the moment im switching between level 1 and 3. blocking in a piece of muscle in level 1, then going to level 3 and detailing it a little, then back down to level 1 for another section... Probably not the best way to go about this. I'l try do a pass over of everything in level 1 before i go up to 3 now.
  • barri allen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming out well.
    Just some suggestions:
    1. Waist ought to be a little narrower, or at least more defined, even in a male anatomy (large dorsal muscles more bulging, maybe).
    2. Clavicula is way too low in your model. That man is not really a heavyweight wrestler, though a muscular man, so trapezoids are correctly not very pronounced, then clavis has to be juas a bit lower than their upper rim.

All in all, good work.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments all,
    Update:
    Went down to lowest sub level and adjusted the proportions, making the waist slimmer and moving up the clavicle.
    Also fixed the bicep up a little.
    Went through and removed some of the unnessessary bumpyness from the model also.
    7.png
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    It's a good start, the placement of the mass and the proportions looks close enough, but it lacks form. A few things off the top of my head-

The clavicle is pointing down, generally it points up or sits horizontally across the shoulders. I think this is originating from the centre being way too high up the chest.

The biceps seem undefined and also too big. When simplified the silhouette and thickness of the upper arm is generally down to the triceps, the bicep shouldn't be thicker than the tricep when the dude is in this pose. The triceps here are also just a smooth looking round bulge, whereas usually it's possible to make out the distinction between the 2 heads and the insertion points at either side of the elbow.

The forearms legs and back are too undefined to crit at the mo.

He's still looking pretty bumpy too. It's not small high frequency bumps, but bigger forms that are out of place. They might not stick out to you but a lot of them are flowing in the opposite direction to how the flow of the muscles should be in that area, which is why it looks "bumpy". The entire leg is suffering from this, all the undulations aren't in the correct place to be muscles so they are sticking out like a sore thumb in what would otherwise be smooth form.

If you haven't already, grab some reference of bodybuilders to help you identify what muscles stick out where and also some anatomy drawings and study guides, so you can see the origin and insertion points and understand why. Then try to replicate what you see. Keep pluggin dude, it's a tough subject to learn.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ty for the crit TDA, lots of useful stuff in there.
    I've corrected the clavicle to start lower in the chest, therefor making it tilt slightly upward, this looks alot more natural now i think. Also looks at some body builder refs to get the bicep shape correct, its alot smaller now and has some more definition between the tricep aswell as roughing in elbows.
    I added more definition to the back also, hopefully its more clear where things are meant to be now, im quite happy with the overal layout of the back but im open to crits ofc!
    8.png

Edit: slightly better shader to see the back muscles:
    back.png
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Doubled checked proportions against skeletal structure.
    Proportions.png

i don't think mr. bubbleshoulders is that much of a good anatomical reference, try to get some actual ref from photos or from people who studied anatomy for quite some time and share their knowledge in anatomy books.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He was just one of the cleaner looking images of skeletons i found, i have a few skeletal refs, and dispite his bubble shoulders i think its quite accurate :P I'm using a few very old anatomy books aswell, but mainly google images.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cross checked with a more accurate reference. Everything is still pretty much in the same place, however i need to look at the sihouette of the arms and legs some more.
    crosscheck.png
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportions seem right, but the shapes don't though. Shoulder need to take a whole head according to your diagram, Thighs Need to be thicker, Shins need to be about about 1/2-1/3 head lower, No heels on your feet, Brachialis Pronator and flexor aren't present in your arms. Last but least don't be afraid to model the penis and testicles. If it's done right no one will care that you made it.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cooljay, im not sure what you mean? You say the proportions seem right, but then go on to talk about head measurements, which would surely mean that the proportions do not seem right? I don't think the penis and testicles are really worth the time, seeming as its never seen 99.9% time in game models. I feel that i would take your crit a bit more seriously if it weren't for your most recent character endevour (Tf 2 sniper), where you didn't take onboard any crits at all :/

That aside, Updated the model, leg muscle formations and a little bit more shape in the arms:
    Male%20model.png
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    -The ribcage is too wide, the width that you think is there actually comes from the latissimus dorsi muscle.
    -The sternomastoid is crooked in sideview and looks too extreme imo
    -The shape of the abs is too rigid, for example the top 2 should follow the shape of the rib cage and not be straight.
    -The pectoral muscle is made of many heads and inserts under the deltoid (on the humerus bone)
    -The latissimus dorsi is WAY off, that muscle has a long draping shape (no random bumps!):
    http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/LatissimusDorsi.html
    http://www.behsscience.com/burt/Pictures2/muscleback.JPG
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot Pysk0.
    @ ribcage, are you suggesting that i narrow the chest/mid area a little more?
    @stenomastoid, i see this now, i will tweak it into correct form and smooth it down a little.
    @abs, agreed, will change.
    @pecs I've tried to show the multiple segments in the middle of the chest, but i dont think its showing through very well, ill try add some grooves, will make sure to add some definition between pecs and deltoids.
    @latissimus dorsi, i think i was looking at too many references of fat wrestlers :P I'll reshape this area.

Thanks again.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    I think rather than matching up your model to your reference like you did up there side by side, you should lower the transparency of one of them and put them directly on top of eachother. Make the tip of the toes and the apex of the skull match up and then whatever doesn't line up is wrong and needs fixing, no ambiguity or "it's close enough".
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated, took to mind what Pysk0 said and did the following:
    Narrowed the ribcage area slightly, Straighted the sternomastoid and made it less pronounced, reshaped the abs, added muscle sections to the pectorals and reshaped the latissimus.

9.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, increased detail on legs and arms, still chugging along between level 0 and 3. Looking for crits.

armsandleg.png
    10.png
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    big improvement from where you started.. i really like how this is turning out.
    the arms in the front and back view look like they need some improvement.
    i think it looks quite good in side view, but in the others it kinda seems like you didn't really give much thought on what goes where.. i'm struggling with the same part on my own model right now so i don't feel like i can give a great crit on this...
    but looking for references i stumbled upon psyk0s ecorche

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/pics/00_sculpt_ecorche.jpg

this has helped me a great deal in figuring out how the msucles should be laid out.
    your upper arm is too wide and the biceps is just running along its center, the lower arm should be a bit wider ...
    and the whole thing shouldn't be as straight as it is.
    you can probably get much more than that from the link i posted.

good luck!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers MoreDread,
    Pysk0s anatomy pic will definately help alot, the arms are trickier then you first imagine! Will work some more shape into the arms once i have some more time to work on this.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I don't usually recommend my
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still going on this one... i can't tell if the bicep/triceps look any better now than before however.
    skin2.jpg

I think its come along pretty well since i started, i've been focusing on the body mainly though, and the face could still use alot of love :P
    facelol.jpg

Looking for futher crits!
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it definately looks better. still could use some tweaking however.

let's start with the deltoid

look at
    tricep-exercises-photo.jpg

and
    DeltoidAnteriorFront.gif

see how it slides under the biceps there? and its end is rather pointy because it disappears between those muscles... the biceps actually originates from the armpit and there is no straight horizontal line separating deltoid and biceps like in your frontview.

EDIT: i wouldn't worry too much on the facial details yet, there are still some issues with the body that you should adress first before getting lost in such a detailed area