Home General Discussion

BRAWL - VOTING HAS BEGUN!

Replies

• leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i'd love a system like that, also maybe people could motivate their points so that would give some constructive feedback along with it. + only people serious about voting would vote

or a simpeler version would be just top 3 votes in 1 topic

3 = 1 point
    2 = 2 points
    1 = 3 points and then add them up in the end
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    1 thread/entry, which is already in place, with 0 -> 10 choices
    well and force people to rate every threads ...
    then someone to count everything

Or we could PM adam with our choices and he could collate the responses. Top 10 seems like a little too many to choose from. Picking our top 5 entries and then giving them points from 5 to 1 seems less cumbersome.
  • Vidar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vidar polycounter lvl 17
    The submissions thread is absolutely massive, I fear that not many people will have the stamina to get through all of it in one sitting.

It would be beautiful with a page with all the fighters represented, to get an overview of all the entries. Maybe using the comp-images, for ease of readability, with each image linking to it's WIP-thread.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, having only one vote each will result in massive extremes of the results...
    So I'm also in favour of multiple votes maybe with weighted decisions like what Ravenslayer suggested. Pick yer top three, 1 gets 3 points, 2 gets 2 points and 3 gets 1 point. Put it all together and count.
    And I do like the idea of having feedback with the choices! Although I'd personally make that optional.

Display wise, I think it would be better if you just opened up a new thread all together with thumbnails of each character/fighter's entry linking to their respective post in the submission thread. That'll make the thread a buttload less heavy and more easier to check out each entry imho.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1 vote will be cast. We're working within the confines of whats available to us (vBulletin and its plugins). Multiple votes = you can vote for as many as you'd like. If I could I'd let you vote for up to 3, but I can't.

Voting results are hidden from public view.

So vote for your favourite. Try and not get so caught up in how many votes people can altogether. We're sending the Top 8 Fighters to the judges and the Top 5 Stages. How many votes get cast isn't whats important here. We won't be telling them specifically how many votes a certain entry received but rather they will just get a package of fighters and stages to rate amongst themselves.

You guys are simply shortening the list down to who the community loves the most and making the judges lives easier.

In the future if we do a contest that the winner is 100% determined from the community then we'd invest in a proper voting system.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pff this was a tough vote, there are so many beautifull entries in both categories. It's hard to bring all the different aspects (technical skill, redesign quality etc...) down to one vote.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    RavenSlayer:No kidding, I had a hard time really pick and choosing who I would vote for...I think I made the fair choice for it but man, I wish I could do like my top 3 or something....so much hard work I dont want people to think I didnt think there entry was awesome as well!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously painful to only pick a top for each category.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Really? I mean I suppose its because its my "job" to follow threads closely but I had my votes picked weeks ago when I saw what they were doing as a videogame artist.

One vote certainly makes you sit and think hard about it, which I love :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only issue I have with this system is it can produce some funky results sometimes. Lets say there are 4 very strong entries in 1 style or genera. A bulk of voters who like that will split their votes among four, and an equally good entry will recieve 4x more votes because of this.

It's sorta like in politics when a 3rd party candidate comes in to suck up the votes from the liberal or conservative side and throws off the election. For the first polycount comp with no prizes though, I don't think it's a big issue. Keeps with the vibe that this art was done for the art, not the prizes, the titles etc. The voting is just a fun little side show!

The entries in this competition are strong enough that several characters could win and i don't think anyone would care too much. And I think we all know who's going to win the environment art comp, though i didn't vote for that specific one personally ;)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Not to give anything away, but with nearly 150 votes already in about 2.5 hours there's definitely not a clear winner in terms of who you guys have voted for.

And just a reminder: You guys are not deciding the winner. You're just deciding who we send to the judges.
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    who are the judges ?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    lol can we only guess who won...hmm I wonder :p
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    seforin wrote: »
    lol can we only guess who won...hmm I wonder :p

They'll be announced next week some time.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    Not to give anything away, but with nearly 150 votes already in about 2.5 hours there's definitely not a clear winner in terms of who you guys have voted for.

And just a reminder: You guys are not deciding the winner. You're just deciding who we send to the judges.

Ah, good to know. Shoulda read into this more.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I forgot to ask this... but for future comps it might be a good idea.

It would be great if all the beauty shots could be put into a zip file so people could download it....

Or an image be created with thumbnails of all the characters and stages....

Or, all entries should be 1200x800...ish...with links to high res images

Just for easier voting really. Loading up all the pages at once so I can see them all is taking ages.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If I have to sit there and put everything in a zip file I'm gonna charge you $1.99 for the fucking thing.
    I'm sorry, I had to. All in good fun, hey!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    ParoXum wrote: »
    DONATE NOW

Shh. :poly114b:
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    If I have to sit there and put everything in a zip file I'm gonna charge you $1.99 for the fucking thing.

Next to a button :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm selling my votes, $0.25 each. I accept paypal and steam games.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter

lol...ok then. Limiting the res of the images for the submissions thread. With links to high res images and wip threads is probably a better idea.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    I actually always liked how Hawken did the LPC's and I think in the future doing it in a similar way could help for so many entries:
    Along with the submissions of full images, you also submit a thumbnail and that gets edited into the first post of the thread - or maybe just inside the poll - along with the name and title of the entry, then that could be a link to the person's final entry post.

of course it'd be cool to have a fancy system like some other forum :poly121: but I think this would be a nice way to provide an easy way for people to compare entries with what's available in vbulletin aside from scrolling through 3 pages of posts and the various threads and hunting down the name in the poll.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This was a tough one, lots of great entries. In the end I wound up voting for ones (one fighter, one stage) that's design really just stuck in my head, struck a personal chord I suppose.

Will be interesting to see the end results. Cheers to all who participated, fun to watch, got a lot of good reference material too. :thumbup:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Too bad you can only vote for one single entry, and not a top 3 sorta thing... It'll lead to the results being a lot more polarized.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Hmm yea, tough to choose! Nice excuse to study them all closely :D
    So will the top 8 get revealed before they get sent to the judges?
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9

Thanks adam, because of you I spit soda'all over'my screen :poly136: too funny!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

Touche!!!!!! what a crack up!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Id still buy it though thats a steal for 1.99 :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Just wanted to point out an example of how its done over at conceptart.org (I think its vbulletin, correct me if im wrong)

Here is a weekly CHOW voting thread.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=220252

Theres a few strict rules about submissions that the contestants MUST follow. Most importantly Image resolution, Image naming conventions and attaching image to post (not using image hosting). I think this helps automate the voting thread in some way by getting the contastants to do a little additional work and make the admins job easier.

Rules:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3087035&postcount=1

Maybe its something that can be done...maybe not.

I'm actually fine with the current voting system. Its simple and (hoping that Adam doesn't press the "delete voting results" button) gets the job done. But it might be nice to implement something like this for the future.

Having only 1 vote is tough though...
  • Neb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neb
    Good job everyone and good luck
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Id still buy it though thats a steal for 1.99 :)

~ I expect my money within the hour: PolycountBrawl.rar

Folder contains all 366 images from approved entries grouped into Fighter and Stage folders respectively. All images are titled with each artists Polycount forum handle, thus the folders are best viewed by 'Name'.

NB: It ain't a small download

• wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Dreamer wrote: »

Folder contains all 366 approved entries grouped into Fighter and Stage folders respectively. All images are titled with each artists Polycount forum handle, thus the folders are best viewed by 'Name'.

sick! you deserve a trophy, thanks for the hard work.
    Adam, you might have found a sidekick here.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks Dreamer :D
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    wizo wrote: »
    sick! you deserve a trophy, thanks for the hard work.
    Adam, you might have found a sidekick here.

~ Actually Wizo, I want to thank You for being one of only 3 people who bothered to write your forum name at the front of each of your jpegs.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait a minute this wasn't in the disclaimer RAAAAAAGE, my work being zipped without permission.

Thanks Dreamer ^^ and make sure you get that luigi done!
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wallpaper for you gents incase you missed it, add Emil's logo for sweetness and your set.

Abit of a cluster fuck but the goal was to slam as many fighters as I could into it.

wallpaper.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Dreamer wrote: »

Folder contains all 366 images from approved entries grouped into Fighter and Stage folders respectively. All images are titled with each artists Polycount forum handle, thus the folders are best viewed by 'Name'.

Awesome, thank you for doing this Dreamer!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    No results yet?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I <3Dreamer

Even if you are a dude. :P Thanks!
  • Tickwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tickwomp polycounter lvl 7
    Dreamer, dude you rock. Thanks for the package!