Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eel Warrior...or something

Hey guys

So my buddy Adam Tazi came up with an interesting concept for some competition. He isn't done with it I don't believe, but I was looking for a nice organic model to do and I figured I'd give this little guy a go. I haven't seen the updated one yet, so not sure if anything else has changed.

AdamTaziConcept.jpg
Check his other work out here! http://ryomaninja.deviantart.com/gallery/

Here's the progress

eel1.jpg
eel2.jpg
eel3.jpg
eel4.jpg

To clarify my own personal mistakes I've made thus far, his hands are far too large/head is too small, and I'm also veering off the concept on the head. I originally thought his character was based off of a Moray Eel, so i researched that and tried to extract some detail from those guys. Turns out he's actually based off of a Gulper Eel, so I can either A) go with my design or B) fully realize his concept...as much as I like my head, I'll probably go with B

***update***
slight update, just posed him real quick and showing off the reference texture i got so far with a overlay bump
eelpose.jpg

Replies

• [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Saso! glad to hear you like plan A :D...I kinda agree about it looking alien; something was throwing me off on the concept but i couldnt put my finger on it, and I think that was it.

I think i fixed what you were talking about with the belly. I was going to repose him out and post renders, but the pose tools in Mudbox are freaking out; the body won't hold a pose. Everytime i pose him and go to create a new joint, it reverts to half of the pose, yet the frills and eyes stay in place, I don't get it :(

anyway here is a slight update..still gotta resize and detail the hand, but pretty close to being done I think, then onto the low poly and the real texture
    eelo.jpg
    eelp1.jpg
    eelp2.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zA7hMH5ldM[/ame]
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colors seem way too off from the original concept. Try to eye drop general samples of color from the concept when painting.