Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot WIP

Hey, I'm working on a robot for my portfolio, and maybe one day putting into a game engine. It's a bit high poly for that right now, but I've been working on optimizing it. I'm also thinking about bringing it into Zbrush once the basic geometry is done and tris are cleaned up, and putting in some details for the normal.

At the moment it has no head, and the hands are pretty much placeholder until I work out something better. Other than that there's some little things like wires and pistons missing.

Let me know if there's any way I can improve it.

Botrendern.jpg

Link to Image

Replies

• seudonym
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smooth poly flow and good sizing of pieces, i like the details using simple geo
    but i dislike the lack of a face.
    overall a good robot.
    are you working?
  • Stealthyfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your robot's "calves" are a little too short, also, maybe give him some wires or something, even though it's supposed to be low polly. It might give it a little more realisme. Awesome job though, can't wait to see the head done :)
  • Nick-A-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand that this model isn't really an organic model, but the polyflow looks a little too "perfect" and straight. I feel like he is too "stiff". I think maybe you should make the upper thigh bigger or wider than the bottom, or the other way around for possibly a unique look. As for the circle piece on his head, I believe the detail could have been achieved in Z-Brush. I get the feeling that his torso is a tiny bit too small compared to the rest of his body. I like all the detail under all the armor, but watch the amount of edges on objects that won't be easily seen. I feel like you could have made the springs lower poly without anyone really noticing. All in all I like the over all design. It has potential and I know it's still early in the development phase. Good luck and good work.
  • Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    Hello,

I really like this model, the idea and shapes you have going are really interesting, I just feel they could use a bit more interest. The chest should maybe have another piece on it that mimicks the back, or some other piece of geo for you to put normal maps on. I think that if you left the chest the way it is with normal maps I don't think it would break the 4th wall.
    I agree with Nick that your thigh or caf should be larger than one or the other to add more intrest.
    The inside of the thighs could use some more geo to match the style of the caves, maybe another spring? Or some machinery to add some bulk to the sihouette and fill in those holes made by the bars. It will make him feel more solid too if thats what you want.
    I don't know what kind of bot it is, but maybe the hand should be a bit stronger/thicker/bulk.
    Also it is symetrical right now, I know its a robot, but if you add some differences in the two different sides then it will be more appealing. (This will problably be done with textures anyways). Or you could add some exposed wires to the back, connecting different areas.
    As far as line flow goes, I haven't really done much hard surface stuff, but I think it looks good. Except for the forearm cylinders, the number of vertical edges looks a little high, maybe take out a few and make them more like the thighs.
    Over all, I think you are a fantastic person and artist and I am really excited to see how this turns out.

-Nat