Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: AJTwombly

Greetings Polycount!

My name is AJ and this is my sketchbook. This summer it is my goal to produce 2 or 3 small, whiteboxed UDK levels in preparation for my Advanced Seminar class next semester where I will (most likely) be making a large, interesting level for (most likely) a fantasy game.

That isn't until September, however so I'd like to focus on what I am going to start doing as of April 29th, the last day of my finals.

I have a few ideas for small maps to do over the summer, and I'll try to just flood myself with ideas and pick from the best (suggestions are welcome!)
  1. The entrance to, and the first few tunnels of Moria (or just Khazad-dum)
  2. A ship-to-ship map either water ships or space ships. Or both.
  3. A mostly-underground desert map (after a certain distance from the cave/bunker entrance you start taking health damage)
  4. A cave system
  5. A castle or fortress
  6. A futuristic outpost in the woods
  7. :poly141:
That's all I have for now but hopefully I'll come up with more in the near future so I have plenty of choices.
Part of my challenge to myself is to make these maps interesting without using any textures, just solid colors so I'm forced to use lighting and geometry to make the level compelling.

Finally I'd like to say that please do give me feedback, but do try to elaborate on what you say, my goal is to improve and I can't do that without specific information. Sorry if that sounds asinine...

Anyway, until next week!

Replies

• Arthaven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthaven polycounter lvl 8
    I think all of your ideas have great potential. You just need to start concepting and get a feel for which one is stronger and go with that one. Personally I like #6 because it has the potential for much better range of atmosphere.
  • AJTwombly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huzzah! Finals conquered! Now: time to shake off this cold I managed to get (gee I wonder how that happened) and then I can concentrate for a long enough period of time to do some (terrible) photoshop sketches!
  • AJTwombly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm just going to do ridiculously general layouts for each of the ideas I have above. I also decided to throw out idea 1 because it's not original- it'd be copying existing material.
    So! Today I did some crappy Photoshop floor plans for the ship to ship map. It would require some awesome Kismet to make it work... but it's my very favorite idea... big guns shooting at each other as people dive into fighters to board the other ship and mess with their ship's systems... awesome. :D

It was my favorite game type in Star Wars Battlefront but I never liked how everything on this giant ship was right there around the weak point of the ship (the hangar) and then around the little hub. So it makes sense to scale it down and maybe put some of the stuff on different levels... sure that makes it more difficult to get IN and damage the ship but that's what the big guns are for: causing the bad guys grievous harm without having to dig around their insides, sure it's less efficient... but hell! big explosions!

Without further ado:
    poWzc.jpg
    dUcWI.jpg
    IXCXr.jpg
    51y23.jpg
    8zyBt.jpg

The final design will probably be heavily based on Battlestar Galactica's flight pods and their down-to-earth technologies.

Thoughts, questions... burning criticisms?

Desert map coming tomorrow. Assuming I actually get some inspiration for it, if not, then moving on down the list.
  • AJTwombly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops the gun deck jpeg got messed up... but I'm sure you get the idea.
  • AJTwombly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I really liked that idea. I've been running Kismet tests for the past two days on various aspects of the level I sketched, though I think I'm going to save it for my advanced seminar class next semester, its too big for what I want out of these levels. I also have been job hunting over the last two days as well, so very little in the way of progress. I'm hoping that will turn around soon. More on the way after the weekend.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message