Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hsien-Ko - Vodun Fighting Doll

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Vguhal polycounter lvl 9
Long story short... started up a BRAWL entry (which can be found here), and after getting a little bit into it, decided that the piece would benefit most from working together with my good friend Eric Priestley on the concept art. Seeing as BRAWL is a strictly one man show, I am dropping out of the BRAWL competition and moving all the work associated with the character out of the contest section and into this thread. Hopefully here we can both come up with something badass for our portfolios. AGAIN, THIS IS NOT A BRAWL ENTRY.

I would still like to stick to the type of timeline the BRAWL contest outlined, so the "deadline" for the piece will be one month from today, the 25th of May, 2011.

Here's a recap of what was going on in my original thread as well as some new sketches from Eric and myself. Comments much appreciated!

Hsien-ko has a great style and back-story that I can't really resist referencing, plus how has no one else chosen her yet?! Thinking about modernizing her while keeping a little bit of the myth that inspired the character in there.

the original character:
characterSheet_01.jpg

After much debate, finally decided on a direction to take this in.

Going to make a play off of Hsien-ko's origins as a Jiang Shi and create a Haitian zombie (check out the Haitian Vodou section) version of her character. There are a lot of similarities between the two myths, in particular the aspect of an outside party controlling the zombie (whether that be through an incantation scroll or psychoactive drugs as in the Haitian myth). There is more than enough of a crossover between the Jiang Shi stories and the Haitian ones to make some really interesting comparisons and exchanges of their visual elements.

Not going to take it into the hackneyed all gore all the time zombies we've all been bombarded with lately though... Going to try and keep it more in the glassy-eyed fighting doll/zombie thread of things, and maybe even add a bit of that characteristic Darkstalkers sex in there as well just for good measure.

a super quick mood board:

moodBoard_01.jpg

Some initial sketches:

hsienKoVodun_Sketch.jpg
Victor Uhal

hsienKoVodun_Eric_02.jpg
Eric Priestley

hsienKoVodun_Eric_01.jpg
Eric Priestley

hsienKoVodun_Victor.jpg
Victor Uhal

Replies