Home Technical Talk

Max: RTT: Bake Issue with mirrored objects

With any of my mirrored objects in UV space I am getting artifacts. I have read you are supposed to leave the mirrored objects outside the UV square when baking. I have done so and that gives me artifacts, I have also tried experimenting and doing different combinations (listed below) with no luck.

I have tried
1. Leaving the mirrored parts OUTSIDE the uvsquare during bake = errors.
2. Leaving the mirrored parts INSIDE overlapping in the uvsquare during bake = errors.
3. Leaving the mirrored parts OUTSIDE the uvsquare during bake, and then after bake overlap the parts.

The below image should illustrate the problem.

badbake-1.png

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    A. you need to make sure you offset your uvs EXACTLY one unit, if you do .999 or something it wont line up correctly.

B. Triangulation can be an issue. You may need to triangulate your mesh and make sure both sides have the exact same topology before baking. You can run into problems if your "invisible edges" aren't running the same way on both sides.

C. Try moving the offset uv's back and see if you still have a problem, if so it probabbly = triangulation issue.

For whats its worth, I've had some really bad triangulation based nastyness in max, that seemed to vanish when using 3point Shader and quality mode.

D. Why yet another thread? Post this in your wip thread man =P