Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal tilable texturing

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
iniyan polycounter lvl 8
This is just a practice for my hard surface texturing and modelling. Rendered in Marmoset toolbag.

Three tilable textures it will tile with other tiles.

Looking for critics.

---INIYAN----

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff! Two things, the wall behind it - how the frekk would it be so worn? And second, the worn parts of worn of the tubes are inverted and looks like spots of strangely worn paint..

I recommend you using some other picture sharing service to. ImageHack is overall slow. I can recommend dropbox..
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    That is a really interesting way of going about tiling walls! Really cool! Thanks for sharing!
  • iniyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniyan polycounter lvl 8
    sltrOlsson : I have to work more on specular to differentiate surfaces. Thanks for comment. I will post update soon.
    jeremiah_bigley : Thanks
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I also think it's you normalmap..
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I think the obvious aliasing(jaggies) you've got all over the place isnt doing you any favors.

If by "tiling" you mean they seem like they are supposed to fit together...well yes they do SEEM like they are supposed to, but there is an obvious seam at every intersection...which is no good...especially since it looks to me like you've just created a big unique wall, and then sliced it up into bits.

This is not what tiling textures are really. Ok, so you've taken a rendering of a pipey-wall and cut it into squares and pasted them back together...what is the point of this? Can you rearrange them in many different ways and have it still make sense? It doesnt seem like it. While you've obviously made somewhat decent art, from a technical standpoint it seems pointless.

Let me know if I'm just missing something
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    ^^
    Agreed it looks nice at first glance, but there is plenty of seams there.