Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Awesome work! Now I want to play D&D.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    ok... welll I know it has been a month or so... but I got my textures up.
    I am not really proud of them but you can check them out on my VERY Work in Progress Portfolio site.

jeremiahbigley.com

Ashman73 - the outline for everything was done in Marmoset Toolbag. There is an "outline" feature. :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very nice! im really interested in your texturing process, as it almost seems somewhat procedural. did you just go nuts in photoshop brushing back n forth on all of those bricks?
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Cool stuff. How long did you work on this?
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To both of you guys... I am actually sort of embarrassed as to how long everything took me.

At one point I started completely over on the highpoly and also the lowpoly. And the texturing... I wish was procedural. It took forever. It was my first "hand-painting" experience. And I didn't look up any tutorials, because there weren't really any that were super helpful. So I am sure I do that really inefficient as well.

With that being said... 4 months?
    :poly103:

And don't ask why... but I sculpted every brick individually as well. *sigh* never doing that again.

As for my texturing process Oniram... I had a base texture that I painted and recycled for everything. Layed down the highlight color, then the shadow color, and then started brushin' like crazy while sampling with the ALT key. I try to keep it streaky looking... Then I run the diffuse through the Xnormal filters, first a height to Normal, and then a Normals to Cavity to get a cavity map from it. Set that to an overlay... ;)

Not sure if any of this is conventional or not... but, it got the job done. And to be honest toward the end... I started recycling the textures for other bricks. Here is a little gif I made for someone when I was working on it.

Screen_41.gif

Hope that helps. :)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man. i love it.

looks like a sick fantasy illustration. like the lighting a lot too. i really like the 45 degree angled bricks on the archway.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I make ios games and this looks great but I doubt it would run well on a mobile device, would there be any easy way of making a lower level of detail version for mobile?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Thats a level I'd like to play. Great job.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) thanks guys!

Ged - I have never done anything for publish... though I would agree that it is pretty heavy for something like that. As for an easy way of making it lower res? eh...
    Preserve UVs? And start collapsing? lol It has already sold a couple of times. And there is a guy who bought it and is working on something for I believe the Iphone, and said it would be announced at E3. So must run well enough.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ah ok cool thanks for the reply, yeah I expected it would take some effort, Ill see whether the guys at work want to get hold of this :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • c4cn013
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coll,Ilove those color variation. I want to confirm the color you did was painted
    to diffuse map ?

I think it is not baked by engine light?
    Can you shouw some diffuse map?