Home General Discussion

Mass Effect 3 Thread(Spoilers)

I think it's time to get a thread about this going. I'm really excited about this game and can't wait to see what happens with the end of this trilogy.

Link to some screen shots:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/20/exclusive55_5f00_mass55_5f00_effect55_5f00_355_5f00_screens55.aspx

Info from Gameinformer magazine:
http://gamenyusu.com/component/content/article/8-all-news/320-mas-effect-3-new-details.html

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    but mass effect 2 sucked.. they are still trying to give it away..
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12

:thumbdown:
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    ME2 didn't suck, it improved upon the first in a lot of ways. They totally dumbed it down in others mind you, and I'm glad they ended up adding more RPG style stat trees and weapon upgrade systems to ME3. One thing they REALLY dropped the ball on in ME2 was the weapons... There was just no point to them anymore.

But ME2 was a cracking game, and I still get goosebumps everytime I see the Normandy for the first time in it...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17

Wrong!
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    I enjoyed ME2, but honestly not as much as ME1. Had ME2 come out first, ME1 would've been an improvement if that makes any sense.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought ME2 was a huge improvement, if even just for the new inventory system alone. Can't wait for ME3. ME2 was the only RPG I ever beat and then immediately restarted.
  • Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    I just started playing ME2 (got the free PC version for buying Dragon Age II). So far I think I like it better than DA II in some ways. I may end up buying ME3 now.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Mass Effect 2 had some odd pacing. Recruit people. Do their personal missions (if you want), side quests, do a few story related missions, and bang, end. done. it took a while to beat but the pacing made it feel like the first half of something, to me. Probably wanted to rectify that with DLC, i suppose.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I want Mass Effect 3 NOW!!!!!!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ME1 and ME2 are like pair of breasts.

They're both the same, and they both have the same function, but one of them is going to be different then the other, and how it's different is upto debate.

The gamers are like a pair of doped up baby twins.

You know one of them is going to like one boob and the other one the other one for it own ups and downs, but this doesn't change the fact that both are wrong and both are complaining for stupid reasons instead of making the breasts better.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Will ME3 be the third boob ala Total Recall chick or the sad third nipple that no one likes to talk about?

That's the real question.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity wrote: »
    Will ME3 be the third boob ala Total Recall chick or the sad third nipple that no one likes to talk about?

That's the real question.

Haha.

The only thing that made me mad about ME2 was the ending....
    Spoiler Alert

I didn't like how the final boss was some kind of f-ing transformer, that was really cliche to me and pissed me off. It didn't fit into the universe and felt like Micheal Bay came in and had sex with the company? (I don't know how to put this in black bars :( )

Go ME 3!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    third boob? nah!,it'll be the lady bits. A trinity of awesome
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Nemlet17: Agreed! I was expecting some badass insectoid reaper to kick in the proverbial balls. Man, was I disappointed! I didn't even like the design at all, and he was dead easy to beat, even on hardest. Sovereign, now that was an epic piece of machine! And I thought Saren was a lot harder to beat in ME1. Sound FX were fucking insancely good on the final boss of ME2 though!

Either way, I love everything Mass Effect; ME3 will be no exception. My only wish is that they stop the franchise after that before it looses it's charm. Although I doubt that will be the case...
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Man. I loved the last boss in ME2. Gave me a grin and a boner.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    when i got to the final boss i literally headbutted my controller, suspended the FUCK out of my disbelief, and plowed onward.
    ME3 looks promising, however.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph wrote: »
    Nemlet17: Agreed! I was expecting some badass insectoid reaper to kick in the proverbial balls. Man, was I disappointed! I didn't even like the design at all, and he was dead easy to beat, even on hardest. Sovereign, now that was an epic piece of machine! And I thought Saren was a lot harder to beat in ME1. Sound FX were fucking insancely good on the final boss of ME2 though!

Either way, I love everything Mass Effect; ME3 will be no exception. My only wish is that they stop the franchise after that before it looses it's charm. Although I doubt that will be the case...

They've allready hinted at doing more stuff. I just hope the don't do a crumby MMO
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Ugh, a ME MMORPGZOMGWTFBBQ would suck monkeyballs, yes. :)
    However, if they did something completely different with the story and other lead characters but in the ME universe; I'd probably be game with that.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Is it a travesty that I am yet to play either of those games?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love a ME MMO for one simple reason.

The biggest problem with the Mass Effects is that if you play them long enough, they eventually end. An MMO will address that issue.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I loved the ME 2 boss! It freaked the hell out of me for some reason, it just.. screamed abomination in every single way and was honestly kind of uncomfortable to look at, which is what I think they were going for.

I loved ME 2, currently doing a 100% run on insanity with all the DLC installed, to get that "perfect" save :D

ME 3 will be badaaarse
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I loved ME1, thought ME2 was even better, and bet ME3 will be the best yet. Probably the game I'm most looking forward to this year.
  • Nemlet17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing through ME2 as I type but I find it disappointing that I'm having to "force" myself to do the player trust missions...I like at the end where it's just all, Imma f-you up.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah the ME2 boss was a bit cliche "shoot this , beat swarm of minions, avoid attack" rince and repeat but then again bosses are often like that. Maybe they should have been brave and have no final boss.
    I loved the concept of the final mission though, allocating people to tasks was great.

Me3 looks to be sweet, weapon customisation is back.
    Cant wait to see all the companions on board, its going to be pretty crowded if they dont find a way to thin out the ranks (that would suck though.).
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I've spent a lot of time thinking about ME1 and ME2 and they are both great games.

ME1 has it's own problems. Having lots of repetitive, repackaged content (levels, weapons, etc) is one of its greatest downfalls. The main story was great to play though, and the ending was perfectly executed and left me really satisfied with the story. There was a great build up and a worthwhile payoff.

ME2 had 'different' combat. The gameplay was not better or worse necessarily, but was more refined/streamlined. I have some rather big problems with ME2, but I'm ignoring them in the hope that they are rectified by ME3. ME2 felt like filler. The bad guys were boring and, IMO, had a tenuous connection at best to the series' real adversaries (reapers, of course). The final boss and the explanation given was a joke (this is problem #1). Aside from that, I really like the gameplay and all of the companions were great. Bioware did a fantastic job avoiding excessive recycling of content, especially in the level design. More RPG elements would be very welcome, but I mostly I just want to go back to fighting the reapers, so surely ME3 cannot disappoint!
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I love the ME series, I think 1 & 2 suffer with respect to each other, sort of a Goldilocks problem. The first game had too much fiddly stuff to mess with. Huge amounts of loot and inventory to manage, time-consuming (and dull) planetside collection missions, etc. The second game over-corrected by not having enough stuff to do. Adding/upgrading weapons and items was almost non-existent, the planet collection stuff was oversimplified (and still dull), etc. I'm hoping the Mass Effect 3: baby bear edition gets it juuuuuuuust right.

ME is at its best when it has you running around awesome locations, solving problems. Like the first time you approach Omega in ME2, and then when you get into Afterlife and meet Aria, that stuff was so awesomely cinematic that it made want to keep playing.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Who else plans on doing another run thru of ME2 with that "use all you earned in the first playthru" feature before ME3 comes out?
  • Oniram
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Nemlet17 wrote: »
    Haha.

The only thing that made me mad about ME2 was the ending....
    Spoiler Alert

I didn't like how the final boss was some kind of f-ing transformer, that was really cliche to me and pissed me off. It didn't fit into the universe and felt like Micheal Bay came in and had sex with the company? (I don't know how to put this in black bars :( )

Go ME 3!

I agree. I wasn't thoroughly impressed with the final battle or the boss. I think it would have been more interesting if they were trying to rebuild Sovereign. Then you could divide the final battle into two parts. First, get in there and get the hostages back to the Normandy. Secondly, fight the unfinished Sovereign in the new and improved Normandy. Shpashe battlesh FTW!
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First hours of ME1 was total crap. But after that brilliance. And ME2 continued the brilliance ...

Really looking forward to ME3
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i found me2 more polished but the paceing was retarded.

also weapons, i played solider threw it so im using mostly the assault rifles, and there was only one rifle per tier, so you always had to take the new one since it is so much more powerful, even when it is in accurate as fuck and doesn't fit your play style.

in ME1 i was able to make a pretty bomb rifle that was extremaly accurate low on recoil and still had enough dps for later in the game.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking Awesome. I loved the way they had the balls to trim things down in 2. I think they went too far but not by much. Here's to hoping this ones 'Just Right' :)
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    This reminds me of the Xenosaga series the 3rd game combined the best aspects of Xenosaga 1 abd 2.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone else reminded of playing Red Alert :) Kind of expect to see Kain :D
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBESnvjZGt8[/ame]
  • orion5175
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just curious if anybody knows somebody that works for Bioware(mass effect makers)
    I'm tring to get a job there because it's down the road from me.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the demo is open for all to play today
    Anyone wanna join me on the PS3?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hehe that last vide reminds of of tiberian dawn and red alert.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was gonna try out the demo, but I guess it's Origin exclusive? I really don't want to be running Origin alongside Steam. Seems like a really dumb decision to me on their part to opt out of Steam. Oh well...
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so how are you guys finding the multiplayer?
    Im having quite a bit of fun.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    im enjoying it a lot as well. its cool to be able to try out different classes for once. though i still do enjoy Adept over all others. i like the mix of waves of enemies along with the objectives.. it adds a bit to the "horde" style of play. i think though that it would have been a bit better for people not to be limited to just 3 powers, but then again to have more would mean radial menu which means time stopping which of course is a no no in multiplayer.. so 3 will do just fine. :D

also.. playing the demo made me really want to play through me2 again, though i dont think i will. i did buy arrival though and replay the last mission. im super excited to play the full game. already its looking like game of the year to me.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    not going to play the multi.. bought deluxe preorder just to get the dog XD yeah sucker I know..
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Was gonna try out the demo, but I guess it's Origin exclusive? I really don't want to be running Origin alongside Steam. Seems like a really dumb decision to me on their part to opt out of Steam. Oh well...

Isn't the whole game origin exclusive on PC?
    Would anyone like to play some multiplayer with me? I'm Goraaz on origin. :)
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I have to say when I first heard about MP making it way into ME3 it put my back up. But after giving it a go I was really surprised and its the only thing I've been playing on recently. Plus I can imagine it'll make for a nice break from the single player which in effect will extend the game a bit longer :P
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Isn't the whole game origin exclusive on PC?
    Would anyone like to play some multiplayer with me? I'm Goraaz on origin. :)

Are you sure about this? Even if you buy a physical copy? If so that makes me quite sad.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gorazz: r_fletch_r

Noodle: its totally Origin exclusive indeed.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, Origin exclusive on PC. They actually are selling it on other sites (other than origin), albeit exclusively not Steam, but even then when you install it, it goes through Origin. Even if you buy a boxed copy.

It kinda bothers me maintaining both Steam and Origin. I don't see how/why EA thinks they should compete with Steam. And it opens up all sorts of privacy issues that annoy me.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    wait the demo is out?!
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Then it might end up being the first mass effect I get for console. Which is too bad since I liked playing the others on pc more than console (plus all my saves are on pc :()
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, its one of the titles I just wont be getting, because of the whole Origin issue. Ah well, I got other games I rather want to play either way, though I was interesting to play it and continue with my sex-adventure...I mean, space adventure with shepard.