Home Unreal Engine

I got a comlicated idea/question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
Below is an example of what I am trying to accomplish, It might be very complicated but I need it for my idea to work.
I cannot split up into maps, this is why I am asking for this.

Example 1 I want to be able to call only that section of the map on let's say a "particles" system, I want to use my own geometry to project these "particles" on.

Example 2 is another set of images but It's using the exact same map as system one, but projecting a different set of "textures".

Example 3 is the most complicated and really just an idea at this point, is there anyway to call certain sections of a map in the numbered order from 1-8? I over complicated this example to see if It was at all possible.

I pretty much need an "Elite pro UDK user" I am guessing to answer such a question, if you can post a response I would love It dearly as I have wracked my brain for 2 weeks trying to do It myself before coming to the legendary PC for help.
Edit:
noticed an error in the examples images the final one is the number 3 example obviously.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can just use a texcoordinate node in your shader to move the UVs around so you're only using part of a texture

to move the UV's across try using an add on the texcoordinate node.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i help a friend set up something like this once, but he only had 4 texture spaces total on his sheet. we basically made it so that using different UV offsets like sprunhunt said, you can give different tiling amounts to different areas. a general way to do this can be found.....................(looks for it).

sorry i looked for a good half hour and couldnt find anything. but generally, ill see if i can borrow the package my friend has and ill post up a screenshot of the material.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    There's Particle SubUV for animated textures. Not sure if it can clip to certain areas, just read this: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ParticleSpriteSubUVEmitterTutorial.html
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your help guys, sry little stressed.
    I get stuck in that tutorial at the last part can't blend the texture together cause this isn't a simple 2x2 image.

The idea is:
    A plane, the texture applied, sectioned off I guess to that corner in the image and I want it to emit or have particles on it around it or project them. Is that possible? The squared off area is my custom particles texture.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    When I get back Ill post a network. What I do is aappend a constant 1 and add to texcoord

This is something I did to manipulate an alpha for windows to give it different blind lenghts

Windows.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As long as I get more feedback I can figure more out, all I need udk for at the moment is the particle systems, I had an idea and I wanted to see if It was possible.

I will post all the finals I guess on here or in pimp'n to show you guys what I meant if I get It to work. :( It's a big idea to me.

haiddasalami & everyone:
    Thanks guys I am still stuck on this and have completed a few tutorials, which make this a little bit easier on me but what I don't get is the material editor, the whole section list to the right how do you all know what each one does???
    Where is that information?
    Example:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UE3:MaterialExpressionTextureCoordinate_(UDK)
    /\ this doesn't tell me anything, or am I missing something?

haiddasalami can you show that example in game? or some sort of render? or is that how It looks in the preview is what the final was? Confused sorry, I am sure once I understand this app fully I will be like, duh but for now I only have a good understanding and yes I got/read/searched for a lot of tutorials, but none of them have an example of what I am talking bout.

About sectioning off the texture map and utilizing a corner of a bigger map to start particle system/emissions from.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I think I got what I need after searching and reading the documentation, I need to know how to find the x,y,z coordinates on my textures in the texture map, how do I find that?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    $!nz wrote: »
    Okay so I think I got what I need after searching and reading the documentation, I need to know how to find the x,y,z coordinates on my textures in the texture map, how do I do I find that?

Epic maintains this website for people who use Unreal called the UDN. Here's the relevant documentation pages for what you want:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html#Add
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsCompendium.html#TextureCoordinate
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    @ $!nz: Sorry I dont have any working implementation of it, was just a proof of concept to show to my team members for a group project.

PS:
    R = x and u
    G = y and v
    B = z

so when you mask off from the tex coord thats how you access the x,y,z or u,v of something. Ill try and make something, sorta busy atm but will do when I get some free time :) You can easily work off what I had going into the append. The mover is moving the texture along the u and since I wanted the user not to be able to edit the v of a texture, I just made it a constant 1 and value of 1. Just try to replicate that and you'll see the effect.