Home Technical Talk

Rendering Vertex Colors in 3DS MAX

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
Hi Polycounters,

I'm having an issue rendering vertex color information in 3DS Max. The texture and vertex colors show after enabling the 'vertex color' & 'shaded' option in object properties inside the viewport, but it doesn't render.

In my understanding it has something to do with the material. I've tried both the 'Mix' and & 'RBG Multiply' shader, adding both my texture and a 'vertex color' node into both slots, but it doesn't give the proper results.

I was hoping a 3DS user, familiar with rendering vertex colors can have a bit of advice?

Thanks.

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    i've never done it before so there might be an easier path.
    The RGB multiply is a correct solution.
    Strangely, the vertex color node doesn't seem to understand the map channel 0 tho it is THE vertex color channel.
    So i guess, in the vertexpaint modifier, you have to check "Map Channel".
    The channel 1 should be your bitmap channel, so set it to 2.
    In the vertex color node, chose Map Channel 2.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the reply, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    That did the trick, seems like a weird bug, but once I made the change to the map channel it renders vertex colors with my texture, but now I lost my textures in the viewport, and it just displays vertex color. lol -just so long as it renders. Thanks again. :)
    Noors wrote: »
    i've never done it before so there might be an easier path.
    The RGB multiply is a correct solution.
    Strangely, the vertex color node doesn't seem to understand the map channel 0 tho it is THE vertex color channel.
    So i guess, in the vertexpaint modifier, you have to check "Map Channel".
    The channel 1 should be your bitmap channel, so set it to 2.
    In the vertex color node, chose Map Channel 2.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrQuetch polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, I know that this is a bit old, but I'm having a tough time trying to get this to work. I cannot get my vertex colors rendering no matter what I do. I've even took the time to do the steps that have been mentioned here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps Max has changed a lot since then. Maybe some plugins or other drivers need to be installed to fix the issue?
  • MrQuetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind, I figured it out. I had to set all of the channels to the same number, and they showed up. This goes for the vertex paint modifier, and even the material.