Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some much needed advice for a rookie 3D Artist

I'm coming up to finishing my second year at Staffordshire University. When i realised about a month ago that instead of having another semester here i would in fact be finishing on the 15th of April I saw that the four or so months separating the end of my second and the beginning of my third and final year could be a pretty awesome opportunity to start to fill up my portfolio.

I just finished modelling a man for a 3D Body Modelling assignment and my first thought would be to take him through to completion, as it was a study of anatomy we were told not to model clothes and so the next obvious step would be to have a go at some. After looking back at him though and seeing as he is my first i can see elements i could improve if were to begin a new character instead. I was wondering whether you, the wise and experienced here at polycount, or at least, with more experience than my meagre one and a half years, could have a look at him and help me make the decision :)

7-4.jpg
1-5.jpg
5-3.jpg

Thanks!

Liam

Replies

• DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Well the character isn't complete shit, which is better than I can say for many I have seen, including my own haha. Some things that stand out to me on this guy - his face is really pushed in, looks very mushed. On his forearm it's way too thick where it meets his wrists, even with a muscly guy it's usually more of a straight path to the wrist than a bulged one. His toes are all the same length, the big toe is usually larger than the rest and on many people the second toe (next to the big toe) is even larger than the big toe, not like a curved shoe like you have here, all are various sizes to each other.

As for starting over that's completely up to you, I like the texture work in most places, his scruff looks a little odd. And the wrinkles around the face look a little deep, mostly around the nose. Also with those parts on the wrists it looks like he's wearing wristbands more than cuts if that's supposed to be like wrist shackle cuts or something.

You could fix most of this with just the move brush in zbrush or some point pushing in your program of choice, maybe with soft-select (maya) turned on to help you out.

I think you can handle keeping this char, just make sure you fix him up and get good crits before rushing ahead to clothing, I know it can be hard to wait but it's well worth it, if you start modeling the clothing early you might end up having to change it all so that would just waste more time, spend your time waiting working on another project.

Keep up the good work!