Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max Path Deform issue?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
Hey all!

I'm currently trying to use 3Ds max 2010 to get a mesh to deform along a specified path. Simple enough, or so I thought...

path_deform.jpg

For some strange reason I create a line (purple) for the mesh to deform along and when I add a Path Deform (not the WSM version) and pick my line as the path, it creates an entirely new path (orange) that doesn't match mine at all that its trying to deform along. Doesn't matter which axis I use either, they all completely ignore my path.

Any idea as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a scaling issue, have you reset your xforms?

also why not just use the WSM? Its far less inclined to bug out like the OSM
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to deform TO that path, why not use the world space version? I use the WSM more than the other myself, I prefer it (dunno if there is any reason i shouldn't - let me know if so :P).
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Actually the only reason I wasn't using the World space version was because the tutorial I was following didn't... I have no idea why someone wouldn't use them but I figured I'd just stick with what they were doing :P

I'll take a look at my xforms... didn't even think of that for some reason and then I'll try the WSM version.

Thanks guys!

BTW Mortal, I love your Avatar! lol