Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - James Stout, Environment Artist

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
About two weeks ago I wrapped up a revamp of my portfolio, picked up some fresh contract work, and I'm looking to polish it up, make it cooler with everyone's helpful critiques.

I'm looking for more work following the 29th of May, so I'm gonna get as much polish/new stuff in as I can before then. So if you've got words of advice, mean, personal comments, or just want to tell me how cool I seem and that I'd work totally awesome with anybody in their workplace, say so.

Here it is!
http://microwavetower.blogspot.com/

I'd love critiques on the work, (particularly if there's a very weak piece that sticks out like a sore thumb and needs to go.) layout, ease of use, browser compatibility, etc etc.

First I'll write down some of my own critiques that I need to address:
-Email address needs to be more prominent, or accessible in an easy 'copy & paste' method at the very least.
-Each subpage should have a 'return to gallery' button at the top and bottom of each gallery, cause it's not made very clear that the header acts as a home button.
-My hastily made resume/CV area needs to be made pretty.

So that's about all I can think of for now, but I'm sure you'll all find much more. Thanks!

Replies

• fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Not much to say you haven't noted already, great portfolio and phenomenal work! My only recommendation would be extra large thumbnails for your abandoned warehouse scene as it really deserves some 'look at me!' signs.

Fantastic stuff!
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff man! Makes me want to work harder!
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Solid Folio man!
    Enjoyed looking through everything - im glad to see COLOR mostly in all your assets and Environments. Really appealing for me.

Yeh i agree with your crit on the spicing up your cv/resume page. Maybe just adding Orange font for the headlines would be enough.
    Typing up your resume in Word or PDF format - for download and easy printing,
    would be worth adding too.

Only thing i found 'missing' was the little amount of wireframe shots. For me i was interested to see where you spent your polies in the Environment as a whole.
    Doubt you can access the older enviros to grab a flat-shaded wireframe shots from?
    (ive fallen in the same boat - on alot of my older works too, but now always grab the wires on the whole level from now on)

But hopefully your Latest personal enviro - you could show without the textures with the wireframe showing!

You look like a great artist, all the best in 2011!
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Lovely work throughout :thumbup:. I'm a huge fan of your work on Bigs and Dead Rising and your latest piece is especially strong and I enjoyed watching the progress you posted here. It's a small prop but the bed and bed sheets you made are beautiful.
    Portfolio works really well, nicely organized and well structured. Best of luck with the move.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Fearian: thanks man. :] that might work out. i'll try a quick mockup after work to see if I can't get a little more emphasis on the newest stuff.

Wonkey: :] thanks much!

beancube: good tips. I had completely forgot to include download .doc or .pdf buttons. Adding some colour to the resume could help tie it in with the visuals of the rest of the site. I'll format it a bit so it's laid out a little nicer too.

paulsvoboda: thanks a lot! :] big fan of your work as well.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Holy crap, I know that's not helpful but I felt I should reply to pay respects.

That is all.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really awesome work man! amazing all the way around. Only crit I have is that I think your pro work should be above your personnel works.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Bear wrote: »
    Holy crap, I know that's not helpful but I felt I should reply to pay respects.

That is all.

I second this notion. Impressive work. You can model, texture, and throw it all into an engine. What is there you cant do?
  • terrortowers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terrortowers polycounter lvl 8
    i love the hellboy pistol, reminds me to make a note to get started on a ridiculous sniper - assault rifle - Grenade launcher gun project i dreamed up

the specular for the wood handle is truly beautiful too!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Uly, you inspire me to keep wanting to get better. Your stuff looks awesome. I'm actually trying to come up with a idea for a personal piece right now, but I got stuck staring at your work. ;)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Holy shit is all I can say. No wonder Warehaus looked so good. I had no idea you worked on Dead Rising 2. Nice portfolio, hope you find more work.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Nice content and layout! First time I've seen something different on Blogger. ;)
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Great stuff, i followed your warehouse project and really liked it, I really don't have any crits for you, i just like it!
  • FearOfDreaming
    Awesome work! I love the stuff from Dead Rising 2.