Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interior Environment - Critiques Requested!

Hi Polycount!

A little intro first - my name is Alison and I'm in my fourth and final year at university, doing my final year project on efficient workflows for environment creation in CG. Basically what I'm doing is creating an environment for film (ie. no poly limit) and then making a low poly version for a game engine. Currently I'm creating the high poly version and at this stage I thought it would be a good idea to ask for some feedback from the 3D community.

It's not optimised yet - and still quite messy - but any feedback would be appreciated. Please bear in mind that I'm not going to be fully texturing or lighting the scene - I am planning to create normal maps for the majority of the scene to add finer details, but this will be done in Photoshop and not via sculpting. No diffuse maps will be created and the lighting will be very simple. I am only trying to improve my modelling skills at this point in time.

Sorry for the long preface! Here's where I'm at so far.

sunsky.th.png
sunsky2.th.png
sunsky3.th.png

Thanks in advance! (:

PS You may recognise some of the assets in this scene - I took inspiration (and sometimes, direct reference) from the Darksiders art book. I did this because I'm not a concept artist and just wanted to create things from art that I liked (:

Replies

• elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Welcome to polycount =D

Could you please post your pictures like this:
    [img]direct_image_link.jpg[/img]

so we don't have to click through the adds to see a higher res version=)

The scene looks quite nice though I think some parts seem a bit weird in terms of construction, The bridge for example, I don't really see why you would add the chains to those points on the bridge, and their even hanging loose so not giving any support to the bridge at all.

And in the room you have all this detail more or less on the bottom half, after the small pillars stop we get a straight wall with no detail at all, same for the ceiling. This might have to do with what you want to focus on if your going for a single shot though.

You might also want to make some details stand out more, most of the detailed parts are very small and some large parts have no detail at all. But I guess your still working on it=)

keep it up
  • lyface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Thanks for your reply :D I'll post them like that from now on - wasn't sure if i should overload the post with huge images (:

The bridge - I'm experimenting with having it supported only by those chains rather than being attached to the sides, as if it could be raised out of the pit below. They're not fully attached yet, I've just thrown them in as a guide. Still working on that idea (:

I agree with your comments though, I'm looking into what could be put in the top half... Perhaps a little catwalk/balcony level. And thankyou for pointing out the issues with detailing! I have a habit of going a bit too in-depth with some pieces and then neglecting others, so I'll look into that too.