• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    These high polys have very high frequency details, I'm guess your going to be using some big texture sizes, but make sure you have the resolution to bake the detail properly.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah good point fearian. That's clearly something I'm going to find out.

One last HP update before texturing stage now; I have got all the assets I previously posted unwrapped and ready to bake on a single 2048 now.

hp_asset_006.jpg

It's always looking empty and utterly bad atm, but I plan to add more fine details with ndo once I know the final texel density in game.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey, Vincent, love the flow in this pieces!
    And I'm glad too see you're trying new stuff and styles.
    Looking forward for more.

Cheers
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very clean.
    Can I see a wireframe for this object?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    loving it man :)

edges too tight for my taste though, you get some nasty aliasing/noise on the screenshots
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good. I definitely think the bottom piece is going to have the best bake. Hopefully the top 2 pieces will bake out fine. Like vahl said the edges might cause you a headache. Sounds like you're using a good size map so hopefully that will help.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    looking very cool, man! Loving the amount of detail!
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yep those edges look way too tight, they'll be like 1/2 pixels on a 1024 map.. Exaggerate!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks, update time, I'm starting to import normal mapped assets into the map, and trying to get the lighting closer to the 3dsmax viewport block-out.

Thank you for the feedback, the normal map baked very well, and all rounded edges remain good looking in it. Here's how it looks half size:

map_002.jpg

And a teaser of the level: (I know)

map_001.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow. I hope 'you know' that this scene is kicking ass all over the place! Looking damn fine!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Yeah this is looking great.
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those normals did turn out well! Scene is looking amazing, I like how you've broken it up a bit with the stairway and the object on the left.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigger update today:

map_003.jpg

map_004.jpg

Feedback welcome, as usual!

Don't pay attention to the triangle look under the reflection, I forgot to smoothgroup this bitch.

Hopefully you see where I am headed now, from a style point of view.
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    Looks very solid. Can't wait to see colors
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, these are the colors, pretty much. At the moment it's just plain white/grey/black and I play with the gloss/reflection maps.

I will try to add some variations and very light dirt in the textures asap. Decals needed too, to make it more interesting.

I added the star field among other things tonight, reworked the lighting a bit, to try the red led on the walls. And doubled the lightmap sizes.

I need to texture the planet now and add a lensflare for the red dwarf in the middle.

Lit - Unlit - Lighting Only:

map_005.jpg

map_006.jpg

map_007.jpg

Sitting at 128,000 triangles at the moment =)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Now that's what I'm talking about!

Could use some more warm color though:)
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    With all the shiny surfaces, and all the straight lines in your modular design was beginning to become a lot for the eye to take in. But the colours break it up nicely and brining out the smooth lines. Great sense of depth too.
  • stfu_donny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some cool design components here
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great ParoXum. This is going to be killer. Just keep at it.
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    This is some slick designing man, absolutly love it! Keep on going!

Just a question how did you do the numbers on the side? Did you do seperate texture, decal, mesh etc? just wondering how you did it as i had an idea of putting numbers on my piece.

Thanks
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, and I agree with you iansmithartist, that at the moment it's a bit hard to read. I'm on my way to make it as good as possible tho.

Sharvo, at the moment it's just some maxText converted to poly, with a black material, but it will change to decal actor asap, EZMeow gave me some cool hints on how to make it a low res texture and look sharp.

This is the daily update, now with added coolness in lensflare, planet shader, starfield with nebulae patches, changed lighting direction a bit too.

map_010.jpg
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that kind of lighting is definitively better ! it gives more depth to the scene. But be careful with the statue, the flare tends to "hide" it.
    anyway, awesome job, i'm impressed *-* !
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly going, I'm so tiireed these days.

That's a pic from last weekdend, played with post process a lil bit, desaturated nebulae, will need to make the red dwarf a lil bit darker, make a better athmosphere ring for the planet.

Been slowly working on a HP of the holographic interface, it's rushed, but should work for what you'll see at the distance:

hp_asset_007.jpg

map_011.jpg
  • CHON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really really amazing !
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, rise and shine, been able to work on this again. For two days. Had several problem with PC blue screens of deaths and multiple reformats. Surprinsingly I was able to keep all these files intact.

I completely reworked the lighting from scratch, perfected the planet athmosphere, added more props, bubbles in the tubes, fancy colors, etc.

Last two assets are the holograms asset in the middle and the sofas, stairs need more work as the lightmap looks bad.

frasco_0020.jpg

frasco_0021.jpg

On the list of things to do still comes:

-Text decals and paint decals (wouldnt look scifi without)
    -Texture sofa
    -Texture hologram
    -Add railings
    -Add last minute sex bombs around to win
    -????
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I agree on all points, I need to step back from the super contrast, and play with a softer lighting.

I already made the gound tiles easier to read after your message, will post an update tomorow as I play with color grading at the moment.

Thanks for the feedback
  • xtremepenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really great, i like the art style. I agree with dustin though, my eyes don't settle anywhere, it might be worth trying to draw the eye somewhere, maybe the awesome statue. Seems to be lacking doors and other functional items? maybe adding a few things like that could make the room look more like it has a purpose.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The update as I said; reworked post process, made it easier to read I think by removing the floor glow, softened reflection maps, added chrome parts where necessary. Still have to turn some of the black elements to plastic black and it'll shine a bit less.

Also, done on the sofa?bed texturing. I will add some more props to it soon like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYqOblmmlENmeUDzlh1FfbZYa7kA3xR2KKstU9h-GjvkFzCWL1uw
    or this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWrYBXp4i4o-ytKAKUOIm5QlO5Pc8t6VMpueyoBued5r470JFr

Anyway, enough chit-chat, pictures:

frasco_0022.jpg
    frasco_0023.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Changed in the floor really make this easier to read!

I think the statue could be made bigger and brought lower to make it a clearer focus point, at the moment it's in danger of becoming part of the background noise.

This scene is seriously slick man!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the very useful crits, I feel like it's going forward.

Today I played with the lightmass settings again and found some better ones, increased the occlusion params so that the level gets ambient occlusion more easily in some places, as a result, the pointlights have a better radius effect on walls and stuff.

As consequence, the foreground is now a bit darker. I plan to do something there to drive a bit more attention.

Aside lighting I textured the holograms, and scaled the statue a lilbit. It's also lower. You'll tell me.

Pics, enjoy the suuper future spce keyboard placeholder!

frasco_0024.jpg

frasco_0025.jpg

frasco_0026.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is still looking great. The sci-fi feeling is great. You really captured that well.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jeffro.

In this update I try to add some non-scifi elements in the scene to create some kind of unique look, the lights on the beds are a bit library like, and there's some books around.

frasco_0027.jpg

I had fun texturing the book, EvE Online players will enjoy:

frasco_0028.jpg
    It's an Amarr Skill Book!

frasco_0029.jpg

- On the changelog, added some blue color to the ground glass, following PaintOver day where EZMeow did some cool stuff.

- Added lamps
    - Added books

More to come
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Nice one, Vincent! Gotta love that bed.) It has a really cool Deus Ex 3 vibe to it:)

The whole scene it neat too. Those are cool little lens flares at the bottom of the half arched things.)
    But I think it could really use some particle treatment! Maybe some steam coming out those huge vents? shrouding the statue in mystery while also separating foreground with the background and accentuating aerial perspective?
    It would also be cool if those computer had a second holographic layer of interface.
    And this might be a bit of a crazy idea but what the hell:
    I think a big-ass detailed chandelier under the ceiling could look really good. Maybe some on the walls?

but that's just me of course.) And with that last idea I just might have lost the remains of my credibility so I guess I'll just wish you good luck now!:)

cheers
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    This is all looking amazing as always but I cant help but feel that it's slightly lacking in colour... maybe some bold sections of colour in very small amounts?
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the feedback during all the competition, now let's have some freetime again.

Kept the particles for the finish:

Here's the final stuff.

frasco_0031.jpg
    frasco_0032.jpg

frasco_0035.jpg
    frasco_0033.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job! Really love the lighting and overall feel you captured with it.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I agree, great stuff man. I really love the scene. All the assets are really solid. :thumbup: