Home General Discussion

So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

Replies

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    To some extent, I still think like the box robot even though I'm very well aware of all the nasty shit that goes in this industry. Maybe it's because I'm still young and didn't have a chance to work in the biz yet, maybe it's because in a way I've always been a bit naive and detached from the cold, bad reality.

But regardless, is it really that bad to have big dreams and ambitions? I've always believed that having some sort of a purpose is a good thing; as long as it drives one to learn and develop, even completely unrealistic goals might have some value. I for one, would rather have my dreams brutally shattered in front of my eyes, than live with the awareness that I have never tried.

That said, I am well aware that this video is aimed at a very specfic group of people who want to become developers. The people that the video portrays however have a low chance at succeeding at anything because they fail to realise the importance of hard work.

But I guess that life's a challenge and we all want to get the highscore. Ugh, guess I had spent way too much time playing games when I was younger.

Awesome. I feel inspired.

Yeah, way too much negativity. Reality checks are welcome for those coming out of school though. Doggy paddle, swim, then float OR sink. Like any other competitive industry.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea it wasn't 100% factual but it did underscore the importance of watching out for places that look to prey upon certain misconceptions people have.

"did you see his eyes light up when we mentioned free soda?"
    "I know right CHA-CHING we're so going to save a bundle on hiring this guy"
    "I bet we could offer him half of what we're paying everyone else if we tell him the soup kitchen down the street is our cafeteria..."
    "its not like we're giving him health benefits so any ill effects from eating toaster shakin's will be on his dime! High Five!"

If a place is dangling the "but its a cool job" in lieu of pay or other benefits then its probably a place you don't want to hang around for very long or at the very least think of as a career, get started sure, keep your eyes open you bet, get out ASAP, definitely.

I love my job and my employer treats me like a human being pays me well and I rarely work overtime and crunch is maybe staying late one or two nights ever 6mo or taking some work home. The key to it all is careful planning and being around for enough time to have the kinks worked out of the pipeline.

As long as they go into it knowing its going to be a job (not mayor of candy island) and like all jobs there are going to be some crappy bits you don't like then I think its fine and they won't crash as hard or be as disillusioned and jaded as some of the other people who have jumped off the cliff.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    The video speaks a whole lot of truth about mismanaged studios. It is good knowledge for young people looking to break in the industry to know. Visual FX houses are much the same.

The key thing to remember though is for every bad studio, there is a great one that treats their employees well. The only hard part is deciphering which are the good ones and which are the bad, especially for someone new to the field. Once you have a few years under your belt, you begin to make friends and figure out which places are mismanaged and which ones are worth working at.

Sure when times are tough you might have to suck it up and work at a slave-studio, but always keep your eyes open for better opportunities. To expect no crunch ever is very naiive, you will have to sometimes because shit happens, things break, etc. However, at the same time I think a lot of companies are starting to see that by treating their employees well they can retain and attract top-tier talent. In that sense the industry is growing up a bit.

If you love doing this, and would be doing it in your free-time anyway it's the right career path because there are studios out there that won't shit on you. However, if you think it's all fun and games (no pun intended) you need a reality check indeed! It's hardwork, but incredibly rewarding and I can honestly say I love where I am at right now and wouldn't change it for anything.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Perhaps this thread should be a sticky for those that do need a reality check?
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    RexM wrote: »
    Start working on stuff? The resources are out there.

You won't magically get a job without any work to show.....

Haha, I knew somebody would call me out on that. Actually I've been meaning to post something up here, it's old and crap but yeah, progress...

Not to mention the fine gentleman at sloperama.com is also good at those soul-crushing reality checks. I read all through it and thus I am now doing a Degree! in communication design. Hopefully the experience will help me fix my lazy ass brain.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think it would be wise to broaden your outlook, so if you are good at art, look at commercial art in general, don't get so far down in to game art that if it fails you feel like topping yourself.
    I never liked working in studios, I left an office job way back in 1988, spent years trying to get in to art then game art, only to be stuck back in an office in games company, getting involved in petty squabbles with people who ought to know better.
    too many people have an agenda, ie to be a boss themselves and they don't mind who they step on to get there. I never had ambitions to be a manager, I just love art too much

freelancing all the way for me. hours are great, money is great, I even have time to pop off to the park with the missus and my daughter
  • TheWinterLord