Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[W.I.P.] RoboCop 2 - Cain

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Monolith polycounter lvl 18
Since the Cain Project is expected to keep me busy for quite a while I decided to open a dedicated Thread instead of spamming the WAYWO? Thread.
Maybe to share some ideas, suggestions, critics ( everyone's a critic, right? ) or just to stare some thoughts.

For those unfamiliar with Cain aka RoboCain [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIAW2ZAfrWo]HERE[/ame]'s a Video featuring almost all Stop Motion and Lifesize Prop Scenes of him in the 1990 RoboCop 2 Movie.

The entire project was to recreate a lost model because of a HDD failure and to also get some experience in SubD/HighPoly Modelling.

Legs/Pelvis:
robocop2_cain_2k11_02_by_war_of_art-d3a66ns.png
Like the last time when I did Cain ( around 2000-2003 ) I started below the knee area working my way down to the toes/claws which prooved to be a mindbreaker on how to model them as I was quite a noob to SubD Modelling to that time. "Experience may change during workprocess"

I'm using 4-5 different screw models on the entire model with them then resized to fit the respective area.

For references I've been using some rare HighRes Photos of a Stop Motion Puppet taken at Tippett Studios.

Torso/Head:
robocop2_cain_2k11_05_by_war_of_art-d3bhph0.png
As expected those 2 Parts put me through Hell to model with the many angles they have.

It took me almost an entire week to get them done. Even had to redo the entire Head once after noticing a major error with the transition from the sides to the back. *sigh*
Another problem I'm expecting will be the final rig of the hydraulics.

Already managed to get some answers related to the problem on how to fix it but have only done a test version which looked fine ( after an hour of Binging )
As there are literally no usable Images of his insides I had to take some artistic freedom creating them which I believe will work out quite well.

Left Weapons Platrom Arm:
robocop2_cain_2k11_06_by_war_of_art-d3bnjk6.png
This one was a little easier to model but rescaling later was an issue since all reference images were taken at hard to measureable angles.
Still working on the Gatling Gun which is probably going to kill me :D

Fullsize:
robocop2_cain_2k11_07_by_war_of_art-d3bq66e.png
Here we are so far. Still missing 3 of his 4 arms and the shouldermounted Double Cannon.

Once "finished" I'm going to recheck all parts once more to equalize them in Quality as the experience has grown quite a bit from when I started him.

Thinking about getting him Laser Sinthered once he's done.

Replies

• Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9
    OMG this is so epic! I was thinking of doing this one myself some day(in a distant future).
    Best of luck to this work, I wanna see more! Keep it going!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Well done so far! I made a model a long time ago that ended up going that direction.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes mate, just yes... "Cain!" is a fav.
    Please animate him also, the original need bettering...
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    This is looking awesome so far! I love all the little details too.

RoboCain is the coolest robot ever designed.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    that looks badass!!!!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ All:
    Thanks for the support. Glad you like it.

Gatling is coming along. Expecting to finish it tomorrow.
    Entire Engine Block is one solid mesh. ( with the exception of the Hydraulic lines )
    robocop2_cain_2k11_08_by_war_of_art-d3bsqhb.png
    Sorry for only posting a render of the arm alone but I'm tired and it takes way to much time to render the full model. :D
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    This thread has so much win, it may crash polycount. Good job!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here we are, back again with the finished Weapons Platform Arm and a new posing idea aswell ( something I found that looked suitable )

Front View:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_09_by_war_of_art-d3bxgfb.png
    Side/Back View:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_10_by_war_of_art-d3bxhrp.png
    There's some clipping going on here since not everything is actually rigged but that's noting I worry about as it's just BETA for now ;)
  • blitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    looks sweet! like the clean modeling.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work :D Love Tippett Studios!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Update incoming with about half finished right arm:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_11_by_war_of_art-d3c0jyc.png

For those interested here's a Screengrab of the Wire ( 2372 x 1336 ):
    robocop2_cain_2k11_11_wire_by_war_of_art-d3c0lfu.png
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the right main arm:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_12_by_war_of_art-d3c3c0a.png
    robocop2_cain_2k11_13_by_war_of_art-d3c3fy6.png

CloseUp:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_13_by_war_of_art-d3c3c9e.png

Moving on to the smaller left arm with the Pincer...
    ( Just 2 more arms and the Shoulder Cannon... Just 2 more... )
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Of friggin god. This should be BANNED for being too sexy.

Cane's been my TOP1 mechanical monster since I saw the movie for the first time back in the nineties. Awesome times.

Great job, man. Instant fav.

EDIT
    "The entire project was to recreate a lost model because of a HDD failure" So you've done this before? You don't happen to be the same dude behind this one http://fav.me/d1ji1ac
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    looking awesome, are you gunna have his head/screen pop out too?
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing work, some serious hard surface modeling here.
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls:
    Don't ban me! ;(

No, the one I lost was THIS one ( and actually everything else I've been modelling for quite a while *doing backups now* ) but I remember that Zoomzoom once asked me for the references I used to that time for creating his own.
    Back to that time I only had a shitload of lowres screencaps from RoboCopArchive.

Illusive:
    Probably not as I'm currently working towards having him Laser sinthered with closed head.
    But maybe I'll change my mind once I finished the visible parts just for the sake of having a complete 3D Version of him.

ajr2764:
    Glad you like it.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Looks good so far.

I know someone whoms made recently made a physical replica of this guy.

Here.
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18102304&highlight=robocop

I dont know if it might help for refs.
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi:
    Candy was building his model from the exact same HighRes References I'm now using to build the current Cain Model so there's no gain to work of a copy for references.

I could be wrong and maybe it's only related to the camera perspectives/fov/pose but I believe Candy has some scaling errors in comparison to the original models.
    There are also some differences on certain design areas like the way the head splits apart, edges, etc...

It's not much but it all sums up so I decided to stay away from his ( no doubt awesome ) Replica.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Will you doing a LP for this? Awesome work!!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson:
    Probably not going to happen as I have literally no experience in it so I would expect this to take a bitch of time aswell to get it done which, after 5+ weeks working on the exact same model, I'm seriously not in the mood to do.
    ( Not the modelling itself but the try and error of Baking and everything else that's related to it )

After all the main goal is to get him Laser Sinthered, Textured and Rigged.
    ( he's gonna be a bitch to rig... )
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    comin along man!

Cain- and the Michael Jackson Robot from Moon Walker are americas claim to fame in badass mechs creation. :P Sadly I dont think the high poly details are bakeable. I mean you could do it, there's just not enough exaggerated edge beveling going on to read well on a bake.

tis gonna make a SWWWEEET print tho!!!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robocop2_cain_2k11_14_by_war_of_art-d3c6ce8.png
    Not much progress for today as I felt like taking a nap after work and then spent most of the time figuring out how the secondary arms are actually built up to ensure I'll not do one and the same mesh more than once.

There's actually not that much to model for an entire arm as most of the parts are mirrored or slightly altered copies of others but the parts themselves were a wee little complicated.

I guess tomorrow I'll have at least one arm finished and with that the second one should follow close as he seems to consist of the same modules though in different order.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I think you handled the part where the square meets the cylinder very well, but theres some mad pinching on the cylinder on the lower left that the hoses come out of. It doesn't look intentional - its giving some crazy shading errors, and you might want to fix that. My only other crit would be that even if you aren't worried about normal maps for a low poly, some of the edges on this thing look very, very sharp, and I think the model may benefit aesthetically from a bit of softening here and there, even if it means taking tiny liberties away from the reference.

Other than that, really good work all-around.
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz:
    That "pinching" you're talking about is an eyesore to me aswell from the first time I used the mesh on his calves which was about the 4-5th mesh I did in this project.
    Didn't know how to solve the problem or find out what exaclty was causing this back then when I started Cain ( and SubD modelling ) but it's sooo gonna be fixed during the checkup after everything else is done. ( have quite a list at hand what has to be done *sigh* )

I'll have to redo that particular mesh anyway as it's base is entirely flat and sometimes barely touching the mesh it's supposed to be attached to giving me worries that it might cause a problem like falling off when sinthered.

There's probably not much I can do about the edges anymore as I'd have to redo pretty much every edge on a mesh to fix that and It would cause inconsistencies in the overall look of the model if I'd start to fix that now. I guess that's something for the next model to be aware of which leave the option open to then do a LP for Baking aswell.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This might absolutly help with the pinch problem.. A few pages in they talk about a similar problem. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson:
    Seen that thread already and was quite informative to solve another, more annoying, problem I came across during the buildup Process. Thank you nonetheless!

General:
    *fuuuuuuuuu* I just noticed they had a "Hardcore Modelling Challenge: SciFi Icon" on CGTalk running which ended on March 15th...
    Ah well... Wouldn't have been able to finish it anyway. :D

Did I mention it sucks to be stuck at work without anything actually to do?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith wrote: »
    Did I mention it sucks to be stuck at work without anything actually to do?

Welcome to my world. Oh, i guess i have something to do. Clean others SHIT up. Maybe that's better :P
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished...
    robocop2_cain_2k11_14_by_war_of_art-d3cbf7j.png
    Only missing the "Hands" of his secondary Arms.

Working with the modular parts was quite a breeze for creating both arms.

There's quite some error fixing to be done once I'm finished with the Hands. *sigh*
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    Just awesome , i was and i'm still a big fan of cain's design =)

animecainua5.gif
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes! I like it. Though have you modelled his face monitor or removable brain?
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking lovely :)

I never understood why he seemed to have a spot welder for a hand though?
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really awesome :D
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking lovely :)

I never understood why he seemed to have a spot welder for a hand though?

He has it for the BIG JOBS!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind:
    He's my most favored Robot followed closely by Alexander's Quadlegged Robot ( Insert random "In Soviet Russia..." Jokes ) and of course Johnny 5.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLazpu3MkhA&t=1m50s]Interesting part starts at 1:50[/ame]

Calabi:
    Neither the Screen or the Brain were done as I don't need them for what I'm planning.
    The Screen might be an option at a later time but the Brain will not.

BadgerBaiter:
    I'd say he's like a Swiss Army Knife. Better safe than sorry for not having a Welder on you :D
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But a spot welder? He'd only be able to weld thing strips of metal together... at least with oxy/acetlyene he could cut as well as weld stuff together. *ahem* a minor point lol.

Cain has always been one of my favourite robots, along with the Robot from Lost in Space and ED209. Oh, and not strictly a robot, but the powerlifter from Aliens :p
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    But a spot welder? He'd only be able to weld thing strips of metal together... at least with oxy/acetlyene he could cut as well as weld stuff together. *ahem* a minor point lol.

That little welder arm can cut. In the battle with robocop he cuts a slash down Murphy's Helmet. Bad ass Kain man. I used to draw this guy and Ed209 in my binder nonstop in 7th grade.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Looking good but the smoothing/topology on the knee cap plates isn't clean. There is also some odd edge control on the front of the chest plate
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, no I remember he does do a slash down Robocops helmet... I am afraid I forgot that to be honest... however, that is a spot welder and as far as I am aware, you can't cut with them, certainly not the titanium that robocop is supposed to be using.
    I imagine its one of the many times when I shall have to believe its something else :p
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well... I guess it followes the rule of: "Realistically impossible but at least it looks ( and sounds ) awesome!"
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welding Arm finished:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_15_by_war_of_art-d3cgadi.png
    On to the last one with the pincer and then the Shouldercannon.
    ( but not tonight... )
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my god this is beautiful!
  • CGvanHoudt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing stuff. Very inspiring.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hubba :D

Looking great!
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the last Arm and began working on the Shoulder Cannon but it's giving me headaches as none of the HighRes images has it displayed and the movie files are either blurred and/or dark like shit on the run from the cops by night.

I guess only 1 or 2 of the 11 Stop Motion Puppets had it installed and the HighRes Images weren't taken from one of these.

I have to make some good screencaps first and then brighten the shit out of em to see what's going on. *deeply annoyed*

I wonder if I should model the Searchlights from the warehouse scene.
    They'd add something "interesting" to look at on the super clean torso.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, such a popular design, every half year or so , someone else has to have a go and with good reason
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't done much on Cain this Weekend... Ah well...

Finshed left secondary Arm:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_16_by_war_of_art-d3cm6xp.png
    "Look Mom! New Hands!"
    Gotta rework the left side of his chest armor with the cables which is gonna be a major pain in my ass. *curse those damn ref pics with the arm in front*

The beginning of the Shoulder Cannon:
    robocop2_cain_2k11_17_by_war_of_art-d3cm76m.png
    Still giving me troubles to model it. The quality of the Movie files is too bad. Haven't they heard of HDTV in the 90s!?!
    I guess I gonna try and write the Studio if they have some Photos of the model with the cannon.

Kevin Johnstone:
    Popular design? Judging a quick Google, Bing and/or DeviantArt Search he can't be THAT popular with the lack of Models, Drawings, Photos related to him.
    I'd also say it's not gonna get better with his popularity beeing already 21 years old.

I mean there's like 5-6 different 3D Models I've seen on these search Engines of which 3 are mine, one is from Zoomzoom and another 1 maybe 2 are made in CAD for Rapid Prototyping.

Drawings and Paintings are scare aswell, I can probably count on both hands how many drawings I can find ( that actually resemble him )

And then there are 4 Models/Puppets/Sculpts:
    The Argonauts one in 1/12 ( super inaccurate I've been reading )
    The Kotobukiya one ( about 3 1/1 times the size of a Quarter Dollar )
    A Fan made one in 1/4 using Rapid Prototyping ( just the legs though )
    A Fan made one in 1/5 done like the original ones using aluminium and the likes.
  • big40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow that is some hot shit sweet work bro
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    wohooo, finally someone is making robot cain!!