Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Street Fighter - Guile's Stage - Xoliul & Wahlgren

Replies

• Valcien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcien polycounter lvl 18
    I drive one of those loaders as an airman. Nice job! Don't know if I would trust a robot to handle a bomb though. :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Needs a big ass american flag.

There are some really great assets here but it looks like they're totally blown out by those emmisives and lighting. The reflections of the light looks cool but it just seems like a tad too much, maybe you could take a couple out and lower intensity a touch.

The rain sorta bothers me too, for such a clean scene, i'd imagine the rain would be more hard stright lines at a slight angle to imply more action and not distract so much. Maybe something more like this:
    spider-man-cartoon-rain-2.jpg
    All i could find in a quick image search, I would say even "cleaner" rain than this. Disregard movie spiderman, guile could pwn him.

Another idea would be to make the rain only visible within the streams of light, which makes sense considering how dark it is.
  • xtremepenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some great 3d assets, but i dont think your lighting is helping much in showing them off. Maybe a change of time of day, like the sunset of the original stage, could look better? Id love to see more of the plane and missile loader, as they have been made really well
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, scene and assets overall are very cool, but reflections, dof and lensflary stuff is so intense that they are totally stealing attention.

I think it would be a better idea to make sure depth/composition and individual objects read well first and then add glowy bits strategically.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm I do agree with some crits, but stuff like time of day change just won't work, it's all about things being at night.
    Anyway I did make a bunch of tweaks over the past week, here's what it looks like now:

wip09.jpg
  • xtremepenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Liking the updated lighting alot!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I think at the moment one of the things we see the most is that little light in the foreground.

The plane which I am sure has cool textures from up close and the robot are really too far away, so far away you could almost replace them with alphas planes..

You need to put more emphasis on them either by moving the camera or the vehicles.

Also all the lens flare reflection thing is nice but maybe overdone here, at a point where I only see that in the image in the first place.

I'd remove the aircraft reactor's point lights from the reflection too, unless you make them follow the trail better, because at the moment you only see a dot in the reflection of what is a long trail of light.

All that being said, I look forward to the next updates :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, this is good feedback, thanks Vincent! All of them are things that bothered me a bit at some point and I was unsure about.
    The camera angle thing is the one that can change the most, I guess I'm trying to cram too much into one single image. I'll see if moving some thing around won't work. otherwise I'll just have to zoom in and go for a more upclose view.

Lensflares,I'm doubting now: reduce the intensity or just remove them? That Cryengine 3 video on the frontpage right now is full of them too though, and I think it looks ok ?
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Personnaly I wouldn't care care too much about the lens flare right now and I would try to get nail the image composition, and then add them back to give more strenght to the part where you want your eye to navigate to.
    Right now it feels like you're focusing your scene around lens flare effects and the ground reflection (50% of your image is just the ground right now).

You both did some nice work on your vehicle, just bring them back as the focal point :p
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Xoliul Im sad that the plane and Wahlgren's robot are so far away :(
  • Gertmanus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, The robot is really hard to spot. Maybe you could put one on the left side of the plane (left side on the picture, right side in the scene) that is driving away, like it just delivered his bomb to the plane.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should have adressed most comments here for the final:

BeautyShot01.jpg

BeautyShot02.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice! Still needs a big ass American flag ;)
  • Mert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well done chaps
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    congrats on the finish, dudes! You've done a great job:)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Great work indeed guys :) I'm loving the atmosphere. I wonder how did you go about making those awesome reflections on the asphalt. Are you using any of the DX11 features? Or is that plain SceneCaptureReflectActor?