Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Mortal Kombat, SUB-ZERO, Baj Singh

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Low res is looking excellent man! Love this very unique take on Sub Zero!
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Absolutely fantastic re-imagining! I'd ditch the pauldron on his right upper arm though, think it would look better to see his biceps rather than have it covered. Kind of reminds me of Ram Man from MOTU! Also, I like the beard, but I'd say the younger version (brown hair) looks better than the old man version if only because the brown hair will contrast with the color of his Ice arm. You've got my vote for favorite character.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great, man. I really like the style, and proportions and a lot. I'd be tempted to go a little overboard with the style on a character with those proportions, but you've reeled it in rather nicely. And that low poly looks fantastic. His left elbow looks like it could be a nightmare to rig, but you probably have something else mind for it, and I'm just not seeing it.

Can't wait to see this guy textured, and with special effects added. Gonna be bad ass
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Absolutely fantastic re-imagining! I'd ditch the pauldron on his right forearm though, think it would look better to see his biceps rather than have it covered. Kind of reminds me of Ram Man from MOTU!

I did consider this but I like the way the pauldron affects the silhouette on the arm. I feel it gives him a bit more personality.
    His left elbow looks like it could be a nightmare to rig, but you probably have something else mind for it, and I'm just not seeing it.

This is something I should have considered a lot more...but I didn't. At the minute, there are extra edge loops in there to support the "stretching" although after I did all the baking I realised that I should have built the arm more like an action figures joints rather than as a humans (i.e. separate parts rather than a whole arm). Unfortunately due to time restrictions (that and it being a pain in the ass), im just going to have to mask the stretching as best as I can with the extra edge loops.

Current progress: Normals and AO have been baked with a base colour test.

2ahe106.jpg
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakes are looking good! Throughout the contest, I've been seeing characters that I wish I could actually play in a fighting game, and this guy is no exception. It's a really unique take on Sub-Zero, and it's turning out really nice.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Looking super cool. (pun intended I guess :)). I have been digging this guy for a while now and I think he is looking really ace. I understand the diffuse is just a test but I would like to see the skin cold looking, almost as though Frostbite is setting in. Looking killer, I am keen to see some more. Again awesome work.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    been following this one for a while. you've made some killer progress man and it is shaping up awesome!

i think before you go ANY further, you should really think about materials. you need to really show this off in the best possible light, and a custom shader network is going to make that ice shine. i think you are far enough along that you can afford some time in this department.
    create some masks for the ice and skin and start setting up some tests. do some research, look for examples of actual networks. if you show this off in just marmoset, i think it will be a huge let down.

and please, please, please, cap your cylinders and divide to conjoining verts instead of collapsing into a single vert on the mesh. a pet peeve of mine, but i also think it just makes it look downright sloppy.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think before you go ANY further, you should really think about materials. you need to really show this off in the best possible light, and a custom shader network is going to make that ice shine. i think you are far enough along that you can afford some time in this department.
    create some masks for the ice and skin and start setting up some tests. do some research, look for examples of actual networks. if you show this off in just marmoset, i think it will be a huge let down.

I will be having a look at Unreal for this one the diffuse is finished. I've not really used UDK properly before so I will have to have a look around for good resources. If I do struggle for time (im alternating weeks between this and Dom war) then I may have to look at Marmoset for a suitable alternative.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Loving this!! Really digging the style, I think you could push it a bit more, the normals seem very lumpy in areas, you could add a bit more detail to the hair and clean up the abdomen a bit, the transition from the body to the clothing is very noticeable. I like the giant plate on the arm, that's a cool touch. :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man, Baj, if you want some advice for those shaders in Unreal you can always ask me or someone else for advice. Does look like a fun thing to make materials for imo.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher wrote: »
    ...the transition from the body to the clothing is very noticeable...

Isn't the transition between clothing and body supposed to be noticeable? Its not like clothing is part of your body.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    He's saying you can see that it was sculpted and not a nice sharp line, you can see a waxy transition, like the skin is pushing up to meet the clothing.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey Jordan, long time no see. I don't get how you can possibly see that from such a small jpeg. The transition looks totally fine to me but then again I'm not a character modeler.
  • eCzety
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a great take on Sub- Zero, loving the progress.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback, and I may take you up on that offer Xoliul. I will have to have a crack at it first and see what I can conjure in UDK.

Still using Marmoset at the moment and experimenting with the texture. Finding it quite difficult to texture for as its hard to strike that balance between the stylistic, "cartoony" approach as well as ensuring there is enough detail to sell the character. Definitely the most challenging part of the process so far. I've attempted to blend the material with the skin a bit better by adding some more shadows/highlights in there.

2nss5nd.jpg
  • cmcisaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this dude looks sick can't wait for him to be posed and finalized
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, played around with UDK for a few hours. Think im starting to get the hang of it a little and tried to modify some materials. Not sure I fully understand how the gloss maps work yet, at the minute I have a black and white texture plugged into the alpha for the specular map and have that plugged into the Spec Power (Combined with Lerp (constant from 4-100) with a multiply) but it doesnt seem to be having a large effect on the sharpness of the specular on certain parts. If anyone has any advice im all ears.

2h6ge2v.jpg

11j3azd.jpg
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Drop the last multiply before your specular Power. You can make your 4 and 100 scalar parameters and call them Spec power dull and spec power sharp.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I tried removing the multiply but it seemed to soften the specular across the entire model, giving everything more of a wet effect.

Here is the result from removing the multiply (along with the gloss map which is stored in the alpha channel of the specular map). I re-added the multiply but for some reason I cant really make those metal edges "pop" as everything seems to maintain that wet look.

33o1hrc.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Looks awesome man! Personally I prefer the Marmoset version but the Ice arm does look better in UDK. hmmmm tough call. I am sure you will make it work though.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome man! Personally I prefer the Marmoset version but the Ice arm does look better in UDK. hmmmm tough call. I am sure you will make it work though.

This seems to be the general consensus, however as running out of time (and am in the process of texturing the Dom War entry) I may have to stick with Marmoset for now. I would like to invest time in Unreal after the competition as I still want to create a "Subzero vs Scorpion" scene in Unreal.

Update: Quick pose test. Needs polish and weighting is off in the legs and right hand.

sq723b.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks absolutely gorgeous! Love the frost buildup that you did around the body. Really helps to sell the image that much more.

I hope you don't mind, I did a paint over to give him dark hair and I think it looks a lot better... http://www.torquemod.com/sub_zero_black.jpg
    For some reason he looks too peaceful as an old man whereas the black really helps to add some contrast to the image and give him a darker look. In combination with a slight adjustment to the facial expression, I think it would look so much better.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looking great buddy, make sure you get a nice expression in there :D
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
  • makhkk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it looks good! But he seems a little friendly on the face?
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback.

I did try the black hair but I felt that it made him look too youthful and took away a lot from the wise old man look. I've changed the default expression on his face and added some more little details. I think the result is a lot better now.

Im probably going to leave this for a few days so that I can come back to it with fresh eyes and see if anything else needs changing but overall im happy with the (nearly) final result.

2jcvqm8.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah he does look good. Maybe give him black hair with streaks of grey? Still think the only bad part of this model is the full white hair.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    That frozen arm looks really good, not sure about the weird smile though.
  • david-richardson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    david-richardson polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! I agree it feels untextured with the hair just being white. Needs some gray and yellows maybe.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Great job buddy. The Ice really does look cold, well done for executing it nicely. My only crits are that his friendly smile makes him look harmless, and his feet are really clean for someone who might battle in all arena's without shoes.

Nice job finishing.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Lovely work man, the ice looks great. He must have some cold toes!
  • eCzety
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking ace , the textures and the icy arm is amazing. My only critique is about is face expression, at the moment is a bit too plain. i think it needs to be a bit more striking!

keep up!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Nice!

Awesome Ice. I'm so afraid to do Ice stuff.
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOoks fantastic. And one of my favorite costumes of subzero from MK 3.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job on his ice rendering,keep going!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    ooooo, nippy:) love this guy
    snow particles around his hand seem a bit weird though

good luck with the finish!
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its time to call it a day. Thanks for all the feedback you have all provided over the last few weeks. Now, time to finish the Dom War....after some sleep!!!

vygs3.jpg

2wqzsdi.jpg

29eovom.jpg

ydy4y.jpg

13yjzft.png
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    nice finish Baj- see you on the domwar finish as well.