Home Technical Talk

anyone know why unreal engine games split my screen?

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
when under seemingly spacific lighting conditions (ie. light from the sun is present on screen) my screen is literally split from bottom left to top right corner. the top left half of the screen shows lighting/godrays/all the good stuff. the bottom right corner shows everything as if it's lit without the sun being there.

it "feels" like i'm stuck in a tech demo showing a with/without feature set. but it happens in UDK, in UT3, and in Bulletstorm.

Replies

• Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    How's your graphics card? Smoking or on Fire at all?

Try changing the resolution of the games, and playing in windowed mode. if you change he location of the windowed version of the game and it isn't splitting it in the exact same way (same angle/position), then it's something with your hardware.

If it's still splitting that specific window, no matter the location or aspect ratio, get in contact with Epic.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    happens in windowed mode too, and the GFX card is like 3 weeks old, never goes above 60c (watercooled).

i recorded a video of it with fraps, but it's like 500mb for a 10 second clip lol.

it happens no mater where i put the window, and it always happens across the rendered screen space, the rest of my monitor is unaffected.

it doesn't happen in any other 3d app, or game which uses a different engine.

edit: done a little research, it seems that it's happening specifically to ATI 6xxx series cards.
    fuck my life -_-

edit again: apparently forcing DX10 (or 11 if your game can use it) "fixes" the issue. the issue affects post processing effects only.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always run fraps videos through windows movie maker (at the very least). It has some crappy codecs and stuff too, if you ever notice garbled sound from fraps, re-rendering it helps, and drops the filesizes by 20 fold. ;)