Home General Discussion

Anyone else asking WHATS GOING ON WITH DW5??

Replies

• Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahah hilarious pic, and no not for having experience, but for supporting being childish and not answering a simple question and leaving it at that. Thats all it was about me asking whats happening with DW and any news and then daycare let out and people start pissing their diappears. I'm not trying to do anying cept say whats wrong with asking a question thats in line and not rediculous and getting feed back. Your answer, becasue people will start acting like morons, umn ya ok if thats the way it is, can you not see why i think its stupid. Did i say how muh i love that pic haahaha !!

I think Stinger88 is the only responsible person who knows what i'mtalking about. IT WAS JUST A QUESTION ABOUT A CONTEST. I didn't ask if you guys think abortion should be legal! I'm posting not to troll but trying to wrap my head around it, i just want a positive community and that i can ask a question without having people who aren't fans of the topic come in on the conversation anyway and comment and be negative and say why are you asking that blah blah i hate this and this is going bad places stop it before you get all of the angry people even angrier!:poly118:

Tear inducing LOL
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The Dom War is always late. Has always been late.

This one was supposed to start a month or two ago but some Drama Happened, and there is probably some Drama This Time, Too, but there isn't really anything we can do about it.

the Dom War requires a tremendous amount of work to organize and run cleanly and it's consistently proven to be very difficult for Fred to organize on his own.

edit: I'm not sure if this is reading like I'm sniping at Fred, it's a tremendous amount of work for any single person. Running a massive website and organizing a group of people, sponsors, infrastructure, etc is a tremendous ordeal.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »
    tumblr_kw5wafVbFO1qzftyro1_250.gif

Lol Gav.

"anying cept" sounds like a very scottish twang!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Guys, What if Polycount Dropped Dominance War Altogether and Just did their own thing? Would you guys Be down? Like, What would you all say if Polycount decided to drop out of DWV in the 11th Hour and do their own contest?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    Hey Guys, What if Polycount Dropped Dominance War Altogether and Just did their own thing? Would you guys Be down? Like, What would you all say if Polycount decided to drop out of DWV in the 11th Hour and do their own contest?

I'm well within both communities, and this wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd welcome it in fact. More options = better.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    I am actually extremely thankful for this thread. I was scratching my head for a greater part of this week wondering when the details of this years comp was being relieved. So reading this thread has helped answer questions and confirmed that DW is in a state of limbo with little news for updates.

I would be more than happy to participate, and I feel that if it has to come to it, then this is a good idea
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    100% in favour of that idea, Josh.
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, I disagree. All I think should happen is Fredh should go to some sort of training seminar that teaches people how to manage their time and set a realistic schedule.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I'm down with that Josh!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I would love to see Polycount do their own thing, the last competition was a massive success
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    While I think dropping out of DW would be a shame. I think it might be better to break away from it. The rivalry between GA and PC (with some individuals) has become stupid. You cant say a thing either side of the border these days without it becoming an argument.

Add to that the fact that I can't stand tardiness. Imagine the delays at the judging end of the comp if its this bad before it starts.

Double add to that, the fact that I think a Polycount competition would be freaking awesome. And I've been looking forward to it since it was announced.

then I'm with Josh.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Any community challenge that doesn't kick up all the venom and drama that DW seems to bring would get my vote Josh, I just wanna make something pretty, and yeah you can do that any time, but there is a certian sense of community that comes from a whole stack of people pushing toward the same goal at the same time that unknown bastards like me kind of dig I think.
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah id be down with a pc contest. if dom war and pc had contests running at the same time id roll with pc.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On a serious note I will also be available for a Polycount competition
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Even though there is a ton of much deserved hate for DW in the way its handled all I care about is the awesome work that people make when doing it. Sure there can be another challenge to take its place, whatever. I just want to see a ton of awesome characters like last year!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18

would be good, it could probably be brainstormed, organised and started before dw kicks off too.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing I'd like to add is that it would be cool if it were official. Those unofficial ones where there's just a random thread end up being a mess.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I'd like to represent polycount since I've been hanging here more than on any other forum. It would be a great shame if PC would drop out of DW.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Only thing I'd like to add is that it would be cool if it were official. Those unofficial ones where there's just a random thread end up being a mess.

This. If anything is going to happen competition wise it needs to be official and set up by Adam and crew like the Polypack competition was. While those member-started 4 person competitions were great at first, the threads have pretty much died it seems. I've only seen one person do any updates in the past two weeks.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth

I think this would suck major balls.

DW is fun when it gets going and its nice to have some inter-forum competition. I think some of the DW hate has gone a bit too far. People need to relax a bit. officially 'dropping out' of DW would be a purely spiteful thing to do. It's entirely negative. It might serve as a 'protest' on behalf of PC admins, but it will be much more effective at dividing Polycount and Game Artisans even more, making PC seem petty, depriving PC artists the chance to represent their home forum, and making them choose between two competitions.

I would probably side with PC if I had the time to enter either, but only because I wouldnt be able to rep PC in Dominance.

Honestly I think the idea is petty. and would cause more venom and drama when we've seen already. :shifty:
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    rooster wrote: »
    I really don't think we're making the same point.

This made me "lol irl". I haven't even read past this, yet. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm tired of the "oh I finally got my shit together... wait... no that was someone else" approach to DW. Every year its like its being run for the first time. IF PC can do a decent job of not jacking it up, providing a awesome way to inspire the community without jerking it around and squashing creativity with stupid spec and forced color pallets then I think PC should go for it.

Considering the problems that prized presented with DW and that most serious contestants view them as insignificant and not a motivating factor, I think it would be a mistake to offer things it couldn't deliver.

Part of what makes PC's separation over DW painful, is that we where so close and it was so awesome for so long but then problems and mismanagement just kept snowballing instead of getting better. It's like pulling off a bandaid that has grown over a scab, it just sucks... Get it over with, cry if you want to, but just let the healing begin properly.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think you guys care way too much about trivialities.

(I just learned that trivialities is a word!)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Personally I believe they get caught up in the minutiae

hold the phone! vig your bandaids grow into your flesh? time for a new brand!
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I would probably join a Polycount competition if it was run well. That and based on what the theme would be.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i would participate in a PC challenge. i think its a great idea.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    end of the day. nobody is stopping anyone entering DW (except DW itself, at the moment lol). if PC as a forum left the competition, and decided to run something for itself. that's not saying nobody from PC can ever enter DW again ever ever EVER!!!
    it's just saying that PC doesn't want to be associated with DW as a label. and that's fine.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Brilliant Josh- a polycount competition would be fantastically welcome I'm sure, but as mentioned, it'd need to be organized like the tf2 content was organized. That last one with the civil war bit (was it even a competition?) seemed pretty sloppy.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Yep I'd enter a PC competition for sure.

The DW competition has been delayed for over a year, and its still being delayed. While I don't really care about speculating who's fault this is. I'm just saying the spiritual fire of the competition is burned out for me personally, and I'd love a more community driven one that is run on time with some transparency between the admins and community.

The scale is irrelevant. Just make it somewhat official.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Are you a tangible human being Clinton or is this just a troll on the forums?

Its clearly FredH.

I got a boner.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~I'm just saying the spiritual fire of the competition is burned out for me personally, and I'd love a more community driven one that is run on time with some transparency between the admins and community.

The scale is irrelevant. Just make it somewhat official.

Yes. That's what I've been feeling too. The magic just isn't there anymore after all this stuff. I had more fun in the pre-DW mini than any of this stuff, and I don't know that DW itself will capture that same feel that the previous ones had.

Anything official at this point would be welcome.
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Yes. That's what I've been feeling too. The magic just isn't there anymore after all this stuff. I had more fun in the pre-DW mini than any of this stuff, and I don't know that DW itself will capture that same feel that the previous ones had.

Anything official at this point would be welcome.

I think you two are living too much in the moment. Yes it's frustrating that it hasn't started after being promised that it would be starting every day for the past 4 days, and that genuinely messes with people's time and schedules, he has literally wasted 100s of people's time and it's inexcusable.
    However, when the thing finally starts (on the 14th of.......september......2015). We all know that we will love it and the "magic" will be instantly revived.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    mxdirector wrote: »
    However, when the thing finally starts (on the 14th of.......september......2015). We all know that we will love it and the "magic" will be instantly revived.

~ Nah.
  • mxdirector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Nah.
    lol, Can't argue with your blunt honesty.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd go with the one that had the more interesting brief. Fuck all this politics.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'd go with the one that had a less confusing, abstract, and silly brief, fuck all the domwar mythos.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    1 hour and 5 minutes and Friday is officially Saturday.

Saturday... Caturday?

CaturdayYay.jpg
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if the grand prize was a box of Twinkies and props from the people here.

I think that would be a fantastic grand prize actually, even without the twinkies.

Don't downplay the greatness of Twinkies.
  • KWAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see Fred got rid of the count down meter all together. After all this delay, I don't know if it's even worth waiting around for anymore. The hype has died down for me at this point. I would agree with a PolyCount Contest and the above comment.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I would love to see a Polycount Environment and Character competition. If I wasn't crunching too much at work I would totally join an environment one for fun. Really hope prizes are not introduced as if your only incentive to join is for prizes you need a new line of work.

I actually wouldn't even enter the main competition if there were prizes involved. I would just work on my entry like everyone else and just not submit it when the time came. No prize is going to make or break it for me when it comes to making awesome 3d shit. Unless the prize was to wipe out my Sallie Mae debt.

EDIT: Also whats so fucking hard about saying "AAAAANNNNNNNDDDDD GO!" and just starting the stupid thing? Mind boggling.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Still no start then.....wow.

@autocon. yeah, I'd love to see and environment and character, but maybe also vehicles competition brief. Allow people to chose what to do and maybe at the end all the elements could be brought together if styles matched. I'd love to see something that could be collaborated at the end.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    hold the phone! vig your bandaids grow into your flesh? time for a new brand!
    real men use strips of cloth torn off of whatever shirt they happen to have laying around... Grrr rip!

Coicidentialy I have 5 paper cuts that just won't heal and I'm almost out of shirts, maybe I'll try some sissy brand bandaids. I can still rip the package open with my teeth right?
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    super glue Mark......thats the ticket for small cuts :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    5 paper cuts that require band aids!!..what have you been doing. Sounds like Self Harming to me. Calm down. Dom War will start soon :)

Super glues good but this is all you will ever need in the field.

RamboSurvivalKnife.jpg
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    does it come with a pine needle for field surgery ?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha saw this over at GA, thought it was pretty funny

gman_wakeup.jpg

Can anyone see my avatar? It should be a 3DS max particle emitter, but I can't see my avatar for some reason, I've had that issue for a while. I just see the greentooth.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    superduperserialr.jpg
    Some other dude posted this.

I gotta hand it to dominance war, it hasn't even started yet and this is some of the most creative work i've seen come out of the game art community in some time.

Edit: i'm just seeing green tooth, Andreas
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cmon Josh, you and the blizzard dudes come up with some bitchin brief and run it by Adam et al and give it to us already :P
This discussion has been closed.