Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nano Soldier

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
barnesy polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys , here is a character that I am currently working on for a UT3 Mod. It is also for a uni module aswell so everythings abit rushed sadly :(

5-3.png

1-4.png
2-4.png
3-3.png

4-3.png

I am currently at the stage where I am about to start retopping the character.

If you think that anything looks out of place or abit crazy, please, just say. Thanks

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice details! But I think the legs look really short in comparison to the torso.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something about his shoulder/neck area is really throwing this guy off for me. Wish I could say more, can't place my finger on it

that 3/4'ths back pose makes his upper torso look unbalanced too

really good details here though
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    I have finally finished the retop, I have added half a head onto the legs (not literally lol)
    It looks far more balanced, as for the neck I think I may have sorted that :S , It was too thick and was basically a constant taper from the head without any muscle definition/secondary shapes. I have played around with adding them along with creating some sharp edges. Heres what I have got so far. I will post a pic of the body tomorrow as I am pretty rushed right now :\

Let me know what you think
    Thanks

front-4.png

side-3.png

threequarters.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres an update of the sculpted armour. Now I am focusing on reworking the head and body.

fill1.png

fill2.jpg

fill3.png
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whooa , it has been a long time since my last post!

Here is the latest screeny of the Nano soldier in UDK.
    Theres still lots of work to do on it, the gun was created by Sylvian Bouland.

pose2.jpg

let me know what you think :)
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pic4.png

Just a quick update. I have been playing around wit the materials in UDK and finishing off the head material. I need to add the final color burn layer when the body texture is also created then I can get them both the same.

I managed to muliply the textures for the gun to get them closer to the style of the character.

I aim to have the body diffuse texture and head finished tomorrow but knowing me that will be the day after tomorrow instead lol
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres another texturing update, it's all coming together now :)

nano2.jpg

nano1.jpg

Things still to do:
    Tone down the emissive on the back of the calves
    Add scratches to the metal on the body.
    Create proper specular maps for both the head and body.
    Possibly add color burn layer to both the body and head.
    Setup cameras and turntable
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i think its too late for this crit, but from what i can see your design is packed with too many fine details without any real consideration to "macro" forms.

If we blur the image to break it down into its basic forms we see what looks more or less like a regular human body
    bc65ca3fc6d773d11c0f6fe96defe223.png
    Which demonstrates that most if not all of your details are superficial high frequency additions which don't define major forms or the silhouette. Maybe this is what you're going for, i dunno.
    Assuming you do want a standard human shape with "bits" on it, I'd say that it doesnt look like you designed it on paper before starting the model. The design looks fragmented and chaotic, and as i said before, too much focus on finer details at the outset. It's like designing bodylines for a car before settling on a chassis and motor, or selecting condiments for dinner when you don't know if you're making spaghetti or roast chicken.
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you textured this guy real quick...I really like how he turned out man...something about the sculpt in a 1 color tone bothered me, but I'm really pleased with the final result

something about him does look kinda home-made as opposed to a government financed scientific suit of the century, however, he still looks cool. The contrast between the armor plates and the actual suit fibers itself is really nice too; especially in the legs
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Harry - It's never too late! I like your comparison there lol I did provide the original concept and sculpt in earlier images but my bloody first photobucket account went down so they arent showing. The original concept is similar as the soldier is supposed to sleek and only really have really thin organic armour. BUt your rihgt it does look like pretty much like a human with bits stuck on.

I think that much of the thickness was lost in the retop. I will see if I can drag the "thickness" polys down to break up the silhouette.

@[SF]Three9 - Thanks man , yeah it has been quite a rushed job to be honest as it is for a uni module and a ridiculous amount of work is expected from us :\
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had a little play around with the thickness of some of the elements and I am already seeing big improvements to the silhouette.

nano3.jpg

As you can see from the piccy I have only done it to the left side. I think in some areas it creats allot of distortion. Hopefully I can hide that with some nice dark unscratched metal.