Home Technical Talk

Max Cloth and mocap clips

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,

Anyone have experience on the combination of the title?

I've been trying to get a clothed character (biped) to work with mocap clips, but I'm not really sure if I'm trying to do this the right way.

What I've tried so far is skin wrapping the clothes on the character while in figure mode, (learned that from here) in order to have them stick to it when I load the mocap clip.

However, the results are not super nice yet, I wonder if I missing some step or if my settings for the skin wrap are just a little off.

Any tips? Tutorials? ;)

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    perhaps you should describe your problem.
    'not looking super nice' tells me nothing
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pics help, video is better. I don't have enough info on what your end goal is and what the problem is to offer much advice.

Are you skin wrapping directly to the biped? Bad idea its made up of individual pieces and the wrapped object will try to conform to the pieces as the joints deform. You want at least an invisible skinned proxy mesh that spans the joints and deforms properly.

The difference would be putting a piece of tape over the bendy part of a straw or, throwing a piece of paper into some gears.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys,

sorry about the vague question. I was just about to post a series of screenshots, when I actually solved the problem - lots of room for improvement still...

I tried another approach and keyed the characters figure mode pose at frame -40 and got rid of skin wrap entirely. Instantly it looked a lot better, but the leg of the model was still breaking through the cloth at the beginning of the simulation.

I was checking the numbers from my cloth simulation to go with the screenshots, when I realized that I had made the simulation to start at -20 not -40! I fixed that and the skirt sticks nicely on the character!

EDIT: here's the now obsolete screenshot... All tips on how to make the simulation look better are most welcome! The skirt is not super dense yet, but there's probably a lot to improve with the parameters also. I went pretty crazy with the step and subsample (0,02 and 10), self collision is at 2.