Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Other sugestions?
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Naima, the nose looks too thin in those previous side by side shots, I'd consider widing it if you're following exactly.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I did in the last render :o ... other things to change?

Or it is ready t go in zbrush?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    what about the ears?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ugh I forgot :o .....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok here is another Update , fixed the Eyes , the mouth , cheecks and neck ( I hope ) , then added the Ears , but there I did not have much information so I had to guess out a bit dunno if they come out well ...

headrender.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok this is I think almoust final , apart any countrary opinion in case...

Now what do you suggest me to do with Zbrush on and is there any small tutorial on it? I do not know Zbrush well so I 'd like more to be pointed to a specific section than to Zbrush lesson 1 .. lol .... anyway what do you thinkis the material of the stone ? I can't find anything like that ...

58010839.jpg
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: nvm. Not sure what I was looking at with the ears.

Was thinking about normal anatomy and they looked way off, but I guess thats where they were on the real sculpture

But as others have said. You smoothed it way too much. You need to nail all of the proportions first. Practice helps but you need to practice correctly
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    You mean is not proportioned? What I have to fix?
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your model is too blobby and is not properly matching the silhouette of your reference. I highly agree that you should down-res this a lot and focus on capturing the basic forms first.

- The brow furrow on the reference is very distinct from the profile, creating a hard angle that you are missing completely.

- The lips too have some hard angles that affect the silhouette. Remember, this is carved and it shows in the final object. Your model looks more like it came from a plastic mold.

- The shape of the hat is way off. Look at the reference pic from the side and see how the basic shape has a continuous curve with extruded detail. Yours doesn't match this at all. It's wrong from the front as well. Look out how the sides are curved and yours have sharp angles.

- The cheeks look quite a bit off. The statue has an almost cherub-like quality to the cheeks that you have not captured at all.

- The ears don't look like they every separate from the surface of the statue like yours do.

- Your eyebrows and brow-line look wrong. Notice the brow-line is extruded out, then then the surface dips in above the eye and then back out again for the eyes themselves. Yours is different, it looks like the eyebrows are between the eyelids and the brow-line?

- Look at it from the front view, see how there's a sharp angle between the shape of the face and the neck. Yours is much much smoother.

I would suggest looking at this with wire-frame off and a flat shader so you can only see the silhouette so you can see how well it does or doesn't match your reference.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    OK thanks alot for all the critiques I try now to pick one by one but woul dyou been able to may be point me on those two pictures exactly what you mean for them ?

As for the cheeks I tought they 'd match but I can't see how to change , the hat yes is way off as I did it just fast to complete the figure now that I think I shoul dredomodel it , the ear was damn difficoult couse I do not have a "intact" reference for it and I had to reconstruct a bit the only solid one is on the other side of the statue and I have no reference for the one on the right of wich I have the reference is destroyed , on the frontal image appears not couse I have simmetrized the front picture to have more simetric face to work on ...

16689205.jpg

72679636.jpg

This is without turbosmooth applied on the stack ....

unsmoothed.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I reqorked a bit the brow, the eyelids , the cheeks , the lips , the chin , the neck , the nose ... what you think now ? I post a side by side comparision of unsmoothed , turbosmoothed and original , note that the extruding part of the front in the side view is due to the side view not beeing perfectly sidened...

sideviewy.jpg

And Frontal view ...

68592948.jpg

And Perspective ....

46337220.jpg

headd.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here is another small update , fixed bit more the hat , ears , nose, brows....

what you think ?

29580808.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Up :poly121: !
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok no answers so I suppose its going better .... so I unwrapped after fixing some otherminor detail and made the eye part of the same mesh ...

What do you think of the uvmapping?

I will add the other details in zbrush ...

uvmapped.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    How about that?

I still didn't do anything in Zbrush as I was instead painting a texture overlay in mudbox and come out that ....

finalv.jpg
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that texture paint looks a bit blurry and misplaced, do it by hand and use photos as overlays in PS imo, the model looks nice so far though :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Well I did by projection in mudbox , But the sources I had where already blurred and low res , I cant find anything bigger as reference and I can't find anything like a Quartzite Egyptian stone texture or material , so I am a bit stuck atm on how to proceede , my initial idea was to work it in zbrush and eventually apply aa light layer or yellowish rock on wich to add the cracks and scars of zbrush to give a more rocky look .... not sure tough .... what do you think?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Any sugetions?
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Replicate the stone by hand and not get it directly from a photosource.
  • B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey naima,

If I were you I would hold off on the diffuse texture, take this to zbrush and do some sculpting. If you can get the general form and details of it to look like it's made of stone, it is going to help you visualize better how to texture it (if that makes sense).

I would suggest getting some harder edges in there first (try using flatten brushes) and then use alpha masking and the trim dynamic brush to add cracks and wear and tear. Don't be afraid to stray a little from the original reference when it comes to these sorts of details, it's more important it feels like stone than that it's an exact replica of the original.

You picked a really difficult subject for your first prop (lots of people stick to bricks and pillars and easy stuff) but you've made a lot of progress and are doing a good job sticking with it. Your environment is really great so far and if you can get this looking that good then it's going to be awesome.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou , ok my idea is to make the stone features in zbrush , add the other details I missed in Zbrush as well , add the broken ear and had also there ... the pic I posted for front is misleading since is a simetrized version of the left part I used to be able to build it up in 3dsmax now I have broken the ear and added some minor tweaking ... here is a picture in zbrush befoure yet starting to work on the details ... ;) I hope you like how is coming as I would like this to be a "portfolio" piece eventually :) not as a game prop but as a render reproduction work .... eventually I will se the face features to build some props in the game as well tough so this is mostly a study work ....

and my first organic as well ( apart the animals Idid I mean .... )

amenmnesehead.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Comments on the unwrap?

uvmapped.jpg