Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Egyptian head modeling

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi this is a work I am trying to make for my island project , but since I see I am having some problems I am also trying to make a sort of "character modeling reproduction of this head ... I will use this base then after to bring in Zbrush and breack and stonify to fit my environment purposes , but in meanwhile this thread should be just all about how to make the perfect precise modeling of this Egyptian stone head ...

Any help sugestion and blaster critiques are very welcome in my attempt to reach 100% fidelty ...

finalv.jpg

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    It would be nice to see wires of a different color than the surface, Cant get a read on the topology and I think theres some small errors with your placement of 5 point verts
    as far as the shape I think the chin needs to be a bit softer on the the bottom front corner, and a bit thinner I think, look at it in comparisson to the coners of the mouth
    speaking of those, I would bring the orbicularis area at the side down and out.
    makes him look like hes got a Buddha smile and Im not seeing that on the reference.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I just redid the eyes and modified a bit the lips the rest is as b4 , here I guess a clearer topology picture , please help and critiques :) ...

referenceiu.jpg
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    The cheeks are bulging forward too much - compare the 3/4 view of your model to your 3/4 reference. It looks like your cheekbones also need to be slightly higher than what you have them.

The chin and lips could also be made slightly more narrow to match the reference.

Note too, how in your side reference photo, the eye has a slight forward slant, while in the side view of your model your eye is flat.

Your nose tip is also down a little too much.

Hope that helped. I love all things ancient Egypt, so I'll be looking forward to seeing the end product of all this.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    What do YOU think need improvement ?
    Do you notice parts that are off, yourself ? In what way do you feel like you missed the landmarks of the concept ?

Just open one of your renders in Photoshop, and use the color picker to pick the color of some surface, and paint until it looks like an accurate replica of the shapes from the ref. Then, go back to modeling and adress that.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thanks for the sugestions , this is my first time making an "organic" reproduction , so do you sugest me to restart from scratch again or just remove delete certain parts and redo them or just move vertices around?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Are you by any chance modeling the head from the front in orthographic view?

When I modeled my first crappy head a while back I did the same and it looked completely alien in perspective view...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am modeling in front view and right view , then I check in perspective , I really don't like ortographic view ....

but somehow looks alien to me as well , I dunno if this is the right technique to use but I have no informations on the depth of the checks , the part of the eye that is not visible etc , So Shoudl I get and perceive all those informations by the perspective reference pic and so guess out using an "artistic eye" to move vertices around or there is a more "precise" way of doing?
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Well check as much human head reference pictures as you can to get a feeling for the proportions while modeling. Thats what worked for me.

Right now what I noticed is that the forehead looks too bended backwards
    and chin could be a bit more pronounced. Move the cheekbones a bit up.

Nose is to long in contrast to your statue reference.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Try to work with a lighting that matches your references as much as possible. And try to move your verts in perspective view as much as possible with a FOV that matches your engine FOV. :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I worked a bit on nose , lips cheeks and eyebrows , I deleted the eyes and will redo later , what you think now , what needs yet to be "corrected and where?

sideviews.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Can you show a 3/4 view of the head?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • lampekap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acuratly reproducing a head from reference is hard, but your going along nicely...
    you might also try to sculpt the head from a basemesh till it looks accurate
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I didn't tought was so hard , anyway I did the Eyes , but still doesn't looks alike damnit , what I have to do ? Fix? Change? I feel like it's not the same but according to the reference ortogonal views I dunno what to change ...

newra.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I reworked again the Eyes and a bit the checks and nose , also added a placeholder for the hat to makeit resemblemore thepicture ... please Ineed lots of picky detail critiques now to understand how to make this be 100 % perfect to theoriginal ...
    Sugestions?

32736443.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krisCrash polycounter lvl 9
    I think perhaps you took too much out of the cheek bone now? But the new eyes are better, they have more volume under the brow ridge which is what you lacked. I still think you should put some more though, he is too hollow on that space above the eye on the side farthest from the nose.
    Also I suppose you could get some of the sculptural stylization in, such as how his eyes and eyebrows are somewhat more geometric, making his eyelid all thick. The perspective view is always so difficult on faces, unless you have the facial planes down on a low poly I suppose.
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are my thoughts:
    the space under his top orbital ridge is rather full (well, and the eye is filling it up too), you have it much more sunken.
    _egypt.png
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I try that but shoud I redo al the head or just u think fix the specific areas one at time ? also is the edge flow right?

here is another untouched yet set of image renders ....

headva.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    so is there a technique to model it better according to the perspective? The thng you did in the eye section with the strong defined planes looks like one , how did you do that ? PS ? may be I should do something similar and work out the perspective in B&W and categorize the surface planes?
  • krisCrash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just get some more meat on those eyes, I am sure you'll be fine. They practically stick out of his head on the statue. He does look rather odd! :P

edit: Yes, it is just photoshop

You could try to draw a bit on your reference in PS, it helps familiarize oneself with it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I wonder what looks more alien , lol the original or my versions ....

btw do you know , you or others , a very good DVD or tutorial on Head modeling ? I used the classic joan c'arch tut but this is pretty stylized and cartoon and even if u get with something a bit different from the original is fine , instead I am trying to do something that is exact copy , plus something on zbrush too? I want to do this almoust all in max and only detail in Zbrush since is what I am only able to do for now , somehow scares me modeling a head in zbrush seeing how much difficoult is already do it in max...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I did some lines on the references to get out the main lines of the edgeloops what you think of this subdivision?

isolines.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok Here is an update , but I still can't make it look alike , What errors I am doing? Hows getting? Please can you trace them on the same drawing ? I need hlp :( ....

comparisonq.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok I have worked more on eyes , eyelashes( is that the name ? ) , nose , lips and cheecks with the soft tool selection and polygin handmoving , what do you think and what can I do else to improve the similarity ? :( ... ?

perspectivecomparison.jpg

perspectivecomparison.jpg
  • thedaemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thedaemon polycounter lvl 8
    There isn't enough depth from the top of nose back to eye socket. Look in the photo and notice the shadow difference under the brow. See how much larger and forward your eyes are compared to the statue? You have also completely missed the eye shape. Why do you have so many polygons? I hope you aren't working with that dense of a mesh.
  • Shinsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinsen polycounter lvl 9
    Eyes are definitely too big. And his hat doesnt seem to have that much thickness like on your model.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Thankyou , the hat isn't important its just there to give a "presence" the number of polygons is due to a turbosmooth at 2 iterations , the normal polygon is very low poly , I added more polygons arond theeys to get the shape wich seems I keep failing :( I dunno why I cant make it right .... anyway how about the rest ? so may be I can fix the surrounding details and get to the eyes as last ?....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Identify where edges are sharp, don't try to model it like a human face, this bust is trickier because it has transitions from hard to soft and unusual features. So your edgeloops can't be the exactly the same as a regular head.

Here's an half assed attempt to give you some ideas (hopefully):

egypt.jpg
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Why use Turbosmooth?

If it isn't looking right without Turbosmooth, it won't look right with it. The more polys you have, the harder it is to get shapes correct.

And Psyk0 nailed - this is a statue. You can't model it like a person. You wouldn't model a rubber duck like you would a real duck. So don't try and model a stone representation of human, modeled by an artist using a popular stylized form thousands of years ago, like you would a picture of a real person from a photograph.

I think changing to that mindset should help you - this isn't flesh you are modeling. It is stone. Chiseled, weathered, rock.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Great :) you did in one time what I am trying to achive in days lol , I hopw that beeing my first head ever will forgive me some .... I understand your points and are right ....

about your reconstructions can you show me a unsmoothed one? you added a turbossmooth over or what?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Well for a first head, i'd say it's a bit more challenging, if you have any experience with hard surfaces, approach it in the same manner. Keep the polycount low and play with edge tightness where needed.

and yes i did add a turbosmooth on top :)

cage.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hehe yeh first head first time modeling organics , if I can call a stone head organic lol , I didn't tought of interpreting the head as inanimated object , btw also I was trying not to use crease on the edges , did you use any kind of crease?And how did you do to guess out the depth between eye and nose?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Nope, i did not use creasing, simply turned on edge constraint and moved the verts to get the sharpness i wanted. For the depth, i tweaked the mesh in 3/4 view based on the 3/4 reference, the shadows in that area gave me an idea on how deep it should be.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thankyou atm I will focus now only on the Eyes , once I get them right I will ask for other sugestions on the rest of the features I alredy did ... thanks alot
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hi I redid the eyes and some other stuff how looks now? Critiques?

headviews.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    The elongated part of the eyelids, bottom edges should be brought up, see how it's almost centered with corner of eyes in 3/4 reference? yours looks thicker thats why it aint placed properly.

Nose bridge should be wider, also it's not all the same width everywhere if you look closely. The nasolabial fold and nostril areas have edges that could be cleaned up.

You have a lot of edges coming from lower eyelid, that's a pain in the ass to work with, cover the most surface possible with your polys. Let the subdivision modifier average curves instead of throwing too many polygons at them. It'll give you faster control, won't cause pinching and you won't have useless geometry to re-route.

Can you show the mesh before subdivision?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    How about now?

I can do better I send u the model so u can check if you want :) I hope u can help me get it better and understand the problems ....

thanks a lot for ur help ... :)

perspectiveview.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Another render , I completed the head thing and removed the seams head/hat eventually I ll make them in zbrush , what u think things to change?

perspectivereview.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    How about now ? Small light updated eyes nose and lips still ...

frontview.jpg

sideviewview.jpg
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    I don't think you need to focus on the eyes anymore. They look close enough imo.
    Nose need to be wider. The flaps on the hat need to be rounder and the thingie on it
    (i think it should look like some sort of person) should be longer and more curved, like
    broader shoulders and bigger head.

I dont know if that helped or not :) Not the best at giving feedback.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Ok thankyou other comments is this come bad or good?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we see one without the wires as well?

As it is now, the chin looks a bit too sharp compared to the reference..
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Here they are....

sideviewviewnowire.jpg

frontviewnowire.jpg

can you guys eventually sign on red on the above pictures the needed to fix parts?

I am not delibeately making smaller carvings couse I wanted to do those in Zbrush , like for the hat , but befoure I want to have a 100% similarity shape ....

thanks a lot for you invaluable help :) ...
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14