Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Video Arcade- W.I.P. Environment Art

Replies

• BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, haven't been on here for awhile, been real busy with school.

Here is what I have:

Crisis Zone Grunged, still tinkering with the screen.. and the gun..
    CrisisZoneWIP.jpg

Here is the start of my high poly for the motorcycle game.
    MotorWIP.jpg

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    hey dude, your Crisis Zone is off to a ok start. Try doing a AO bake on ur lowpoly w/ your low poly since you didnt do a hp for the entire arcade. The AO will really help ground things and create a greater sense of different parts coming together. You also really need to change the lighting setup you have right now, play with some blues and oranges, they always seem to do the trick :)
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, Ill get on that, right now they are just straight out of max default lighting, Ill try out some different set-ups.

Thanks Hiten,

Ben
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the high poly motorcycle game, (still have some things to do with it)

MotorHighWIP.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is where Im at with the motorcycle High Poly,

MotorHighWIP-1.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone here is an update at where I'm at with this project as a whole:

1_BAMHP_LP.jpg

2_DonkeyKongLP.jpg

3_DefenderLP.jpg

4_PunchOutLP.jpg

5_CZAHP_LP.jpg

6_CrisisZoneLP.jpg

7_MotorcycleArcade_HP_BS.jpg

8_props_HP.jpg

Couple things to be noted, the brown smudging on the defender case, should not be there... left a layer on I guess...

Also any help with the aliasing that is occurring would be great: In max im trying to configure my driver however it kept resetting the antialiasing setting to none... any suggestions?

Thanks

Ben
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Whoa, dude! This is getting intense!
  • nathanPreston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude, its coming along.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Makkon, getting there

manx-tt.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is one of the references I used:
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is where I am at with the motorcycle arcade racer, got some stuff left to do. Would love to get some feedback with where it is at now.

I wanted to texture this one more or less by hand. I didn't use any logos or artwork like the other machines above.

Moto_WIP.jpg

Also this is right now on 2 512's., one has the motorcycle and all of its components. The other has the cabinet and base.

Thanks
    Ben
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, almost done with this asset. Any comments are appreciated.

This has 2 512's, and is around 2700 tri's at the moment. (this too much?) There are a couple places mainly the handles/ foot, exhaust that could be dumbed down a bit.

With Lighting:

Moto_WIP_Lights.jpg

Basic:

motobasic_lighting.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out this pic.
    Firstly, the colour and setup of your lights makes the overall image poor. you should have a simple lightign setup 1 ambient light and one direct light ( or 2 smaller omnis) this will help sell your work alot more :)
    You really need to refine your colour ALOT more. just using images from ref and doing a copy/paste job wont get you a job... so get your thinking cap on the really think which colours would look "cool" on this. i did a qucik paint over to give you a idea, and steer you in the direction i think you should go in.

Ben_01.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hiten,

I will definitely re-think my colour choices.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this project it technically over now. Although I think I'm still going to try and get this all together in a scene once school is done. Also still tinkering with the colours as Hiten mentioned above. Might post up a couple quick colour paint-overs and get some opinions on them.

Here is what I've got at this point:

0BS_Title_AAforOnline.jpg

6BS_TicketEater.jpg

Thanks

Ben
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'd recommend getting rid of the black in your normal maps, when the models begin to get LOD'd it's going to make strange things occur >_>
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gannon, I just have the black to show better, thats not how it goes into max.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude,
    the biggest thing that you need to improve on when it comes to texturing is to show how the object is built. how parts are put together. are there bolts ? planes that slide in ? super glued ? stuff like that. also how objects are used. right now in ur diff, you only have the most basic information. add stuff like finger prints, dust straches, dents, peeled paint, under paint, stickers. add as much information as you can. if you like your alot of photo sourcing then go nuts with it !! just use photos, or if you like hand painting everything in go nuts with that. you need to give this life which = a story. tell me a story about this arcade through the texturing. look at the new tron movie. look at how they sell the oldness of the arcades !! ALso, always try to add AO into your diff. !!! i did a simple paint over of what that would look like. also your spec should be based some what on your diff, it shouldn't be a gradient like you have now. you should try to put in information like finger prints and dents and such into the spec that isnt in your diff, it add a much more believable sense. for my spec maps i usually take the diffuse (copy merged) use alt+u , slide the top slider all the way to the right or left, or aim for w/e colour i want. then do a levels adjustment, and a curves adjustment. i wanna make my spec map POP, add life into my diff.

ben02.jpg
    Tron-in-Flynns-Arcade.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Mistry10
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot Hiten, I see what you mean about just having the basic base done. Ive been doing some tweaking with the cases, but I totally see what I have to go with now that school is over...Yay!

Also how would one go about creating dust?

Ben
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    u can render an actually "dust map" i tthink if you put a omni light on the top of your object and render a light map w/ a skylight + scanline that would work. and i know Max actully has a render "dust map" but i forget where it is :(
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also you can just add a brownish gradient to areas of your diff :)
  • 3DVlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting thread.

I think your diffuse color is a bit too flat. It would be nice to see some color variation. Try adding a grunge map on soft light blending mode and a low opacity, to break up that flatness and get some hints of different colors.

For the bikes bump up the spec on the metalic floor mats a bit and it doesnt look like you have a normal there for those details on the mat, it could be that its hard to see it because of the spec. Either way bump up the spec there and the normal because right now it just looks grey.