Home General Discussion

You gotta be kidding me...RIGHT?!?!

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Spoke with my Aquent contact today. Basically reiterating on what Jesse already said. Definitely sounds like they're changing some of their core practices based on what happened with Jesse and they are trying to work with him to better the situation.

As I stated before I personally have had zero issues with them and they've treated me great. I think this was just a little Murphys Law in action. Everything that could have gone wrong, did go wrong here.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    [QUOTE=Joshua Stubbles;1302859 Definitely sounds like they're changing some of their core practices based on what happened with Jesse and they are trying to work with him to better the situation. [/QUOTE]

despite Jesse's bad experience it sounds good to hear of a company that tries to learn from mistakes rather than moving on with business as usual. I hope everything works out in the end - good luck Jesse!
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    damn that sucks, I would've check the actual studio that you be starting with to be 100% sure your starting. I know thats what I do on out of town work.
  • CNecron518a
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry that happened to you man.. I have had some bad contract experiences myself located outside the US... they say they are going to pay you, you do the work and then they disappear..But I have not yet had something like this happen where you get on a plane expecting a job, and it just goes to hell shortly afterwards..

I am really lost for words. Things are extremely tough right now for lots of people.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I'm back with an update to the original post. Situation corrected and no bad feelings for either party. :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    not much of an update :P DETAILS!

The most important part, are you working now?
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    notman wrote: »
    not much of an update :P DETAILS!

The most important part, are you working now?
    Check his opening post on this thread for details.

New computer parts is certainly better than nothing. I think it's great that you still keep a positive attitude and that you learned from this unfortunate incident even though you didn't make any of the mistakes. Best of luck on your next job!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally a little bit of good luck... man what a hassle...
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a UPS worker, I can safely advise anyone shipping through any shipping company to pack everything at least 8 times more securely than you think you need to pack it. If not 10 or 12 times better. If anything is valuable to you, insure it also. There is so much abuse to people's packages its crazy. Everyone has to load 1k+ packages every day, so its hard to expect them to be a gentle little lamb with each one.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I just take my Desktop computer on the plane. Never had a hassel with that.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Holy crap. Definitely going to keep this in mind when I have to start looking again at the end of my current contract. On the plus side, I try to live light for now so I don't have to spend on shipping. That's the plus of having few possessions (for now...)

I hope your bad luck streak ends Jessie. Eventually something positive comes from something negative.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtlusZMH wrote: »
    As a UPS worker, I can safely advise anyone shipping through any shipping company to pack everything at least 8 times more securely than you think you need to pack it. If not 10 or 12 times better. If anything is valuable to you, insure it also. There is so much abuse to people's packages its crazy. Everyone has to load 1k+ packages every day, so its hard to expect them to be a gentle little lamb with each one.
    But but... the guy in the commercial lovingly takes the package from the ladies hands as if its a bomb or a baby? I don't understand...
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But but... the guy in the commercial lovingly takes the package from the ladies hands as if its a bomb or a baby? I don't understand...

Sometimes at work they show us the new commercials kinda like a pep talk meeting sorta thing. Everyone gets a good laugh out of them. ;)
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I've had some similar problems with contract work.
    I delayed graduating on the promise of some work coming down the pipe only to realize I spent a whole semester with my dick in my hands. nothing like what Jesse went through though
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Glad it's all resolved.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Goraaz wrote: »
    Check his opening post on this thread for details.

New computer parts is certainly better than nothing. I think it's great that you still keep a positive attitude and that you learned from this unfortunate incident even though you didn't make any of the mistakes. Best of luck on your next job!

haha, thanks, I forgot about that.

Edit: Ok, I just read his update, and it still didn't cover if he's employed again.... So my original statement still stands Jesse :P
    And congrats on the new house (I hope it was a good thing at least).
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    You've had a hell of a last few months man! Good to hear things are looking up! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haha Atlus thanks for the posts, they've been umm... eye opening! :D Do you just do game art as a hobby? Your texture work is great. What you use for that wireframe slider?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehh well I am still unemployed (got a bit of freelance right now) but nothing fulltime yet. Going to be redoing my folio and will send stuff back out once that is wrapped up. Should be some good stuff :)

I got the call from UPS today. They accepted my claim so I'll get reimbursed for my parts and stuff I had to replace.

As for living situation. It isn't as good as we had before but it beats being homeless. :)

Gotta stay positive and never give up!!!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Well, good thing you've got reimbursed for something. But, damn, Jesse, I so wish things would work out for you already.
    Oh, and looking forward to seeing you knew stuff.
    Good luck, buddy, I'm sure your positive attitude will get you a nice fat job very soon! Maybe even with your personal parking space and free twinkies:)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Per totally agree. I def should have taken the fan off before shipping and I had in the past. Ahh well. I did take out my hard drive and I kept that with me in my carry on so no harm there.