Home Technical Talk

Alternative to ProBoolean?

I'm just trying to develop my technique with poly-modelling; so I'm trying to find new techniques of modelling. The biggest issue I'm having is cutting shapes into my objects and completely ruining the topology.

Is there an alternative to using ProBoolean to cut shapes/holes into the models without screwing up the topology? If there isn't, are there any tips for keeping the topology as clean as possible?

I suppose as an addendum, are there any practices or techniques I should keep particularly in mind from the start of the model so I don't cause myself gargantuan issues later on.

Thanks for taking your time to read and answer this, whoever you may be; I'll be damn grateful.

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My advice is to just stay away from boolean operations all together. They CAN be useful sometimes, but generally require a lot of clean up afterward, which would take just as much as time modeling from scratch in the first place.

Pre-planning can really save you a lot of trouble when doing a model. Just take a minute to look at the shape and decide how much geometry you'll need, and where to place edge loops in order to get the shape that you want. It's one of those things that will just become second nature with more practice.

Also, might as well drop this in here since you mentioned cutting holes into models.

holes_in_meshes_final.png
  • Sam MunRAWR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a tonne for that, I'd been modelling an iPad and wound up using ProBoolean as a quick fix to putting the holes in, but now I'm kind of having to roll with it as eye candy rather than anything functional (Much like my actual iPad I suppose :P)

If you saw the topology you'd scream. And if you're interested, here's where I last got up to with it:

iPadtest2.jpg