Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ak-74m modern russian rifle

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent accuracy and detailing, no crits. Especially nice work on the painted variants, and the wear and tear around the muzzle device. 3x4096 is definitely a bit much these days, but maybe not for long, and in any case I am sure it would scale down to 2048 beautifully. Thanks for posting.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    awesome work, love the attention to detail in the high poly
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    Great work on this, turned out amazing!

also Could you give some insight on your texturing process, especially how you created the scratches on the barrel please? It would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    -mike
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    very nice work dude
    its awesome!
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BLACKMETAL polycounter lvl 9
    Havoc89, Olli, roosterMAP, mr_ace, Lonewolf, thanks guys! :)

gauss, exactly. And i wanted to test that in arma2 engine just to make sure how bad it handles it.

mike670, i did most of scratches in modo, the scratches on barrel were made in ps, just tried to draw them like on refs.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very well done! one of the best AK's I've seen :) I really want to make a gun now.. WTB Time!
  • Mr.Cash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy shit....dude!!!

Thats some badass texturing u`ve done here. Congratz.

And now gimme your brain....:poly118:..I'm hungry
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing work! Is there any chance you could post some of the pictures you used to photo source those scratches from? :)
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    These textures look simply amazing. I hope to one day get my textures to look that good
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    The model is nice but the texture is very, very noisy, pretty monochrome, and most of the details seem to be tertiary.

The high level of noise looks nice when viewed up close at a near-planar angle and in high resolution, but a lot of it is going to result in poor aliasing and lots of moir
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    here are a few things which i think keep this from being a great texture:

firstly: lack of color. no color in the specular map and desaturated overlays show me that you're being far too timid with it. color is such an important thing when making real-life items, and simply boosting the saturation in photoshop makes the texture so much more exciting:

jQnxf.jpg

because your specular map has no color either and your diffuse values are very similar, all of the materials blend together. personally i would suggest that you darken the plastic on the diffuse and tint the metal and plastic different colors. it's a shame your overlays have barely any color because that would help immensely.

while i'm on the topic of specular maps, the camo version should not have different tones in the specular map for the paint itself. think about it; why would the darker paint get less light than the lighter paint when they're both the same material?

secondly, you have no large shapes, only micro details. while this might impress a regular polycounter, you lose the chance of having readability at a distance, at a glance, or when the maps are scaled down to lower than 2048. let's zoom out and take a look:

akdude1.jpg

because you have no large shapes and only scattered micro noise, all those nice details you made just got destroyed and only the generic cloudy overlays/textures added show through. and because the gun is very desaturated and doesn't have tons of tonal separation as mentioned before, the metals and plastics all blend together even more. here's an example of what i'd do:

akdude2.jpg

nice clear tonal separation between materials, brown plastic mag and tinted materials along with strong lighting gives it a nice color boost. i also cleaned up the mag and receiver noisiness and added some nice big details to the important bits. big details like these will make the asset look real chunky at all distances. wearing mechanical surfaces is all about clean surfaces for readability, and then awesome big chunky shapes to make it look nassty.

lastly: listen to what my boy in the above post said about the aliasing, because aliasing should be minimized as much as possible on all aspects of a model and texture. just zoom in and out and pan all around your model and the things you need to fix should become pretty obvious.

so yeah, keep going. most people on polycount are just going to blindly praise once you get near a certain skill level and i think you're approaching that. the gun just needs some work to elevate it past the CG look.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That sure is some high level advice you're getting here :) Very curious to see you apply some of this!
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    while i'm on the topic of specular maps, the camo version should not have different tones in the specular map for the paint itself. think about it; why would the darker paint get less light than the lighter paint when they're both the same material?

I think what he's - possibly - trying to mimic there is the fact that many times field-expedient camo finishes on rifles are done with scrounged paint that has wildly varying specular qualities. You're right, it's not technically correct, but if he's using just that single grayscale spec (no split spec color & spec power / gloss), it does sort of carry that subtlety through and show the mismatching paint decently. Again, not technically correct from the art execution standpoint, but... the end result looks a LOT like real rifles I have handled that have seen the same type of field painting, and those have been everything from old AK parts kits to Rhodesian FALs to M4s and M16s fresh back from AFG and Iraq (still had sand in the nooks and crannies).
  • ChrisHaze007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OM NOM NOM. That gun looks delicious :P
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    nice necrobump
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some free time to edit textures of ak, by great advices of racer445 and Amsterdam Hilton Hotegreat. Materials still unfinished as i see it right now because i somehow didn't saw last messages earlier. :(

aknna1.jpg

Done base hipoly of modern SVD sniper rifle.

svdnna1.jpg
    Rendered in Xoliul shader too.
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick up on textures:
    aknna2.jpg
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more tweaks on texture and i think ak is done:
    aknnea1.jpg
    aknnea2.jpg
    aknnea3.jpg
    aknnea4.jpg
    aknnea5.jpg
    aknnea6.jpg
    aknnea7.jpg
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    love the render dude. what are you using?
  • ThaSlimShady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    bcottage wrote: »
    love the render dude. what are you using?

I'd like to know too!
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    somehow i am starting to love weapons looking on such awesome work.
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage, thanks, i used xoliul shader.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    BLACKMETAL wrote: »
    bcottage, thanks, i used xoliul shader.

cool. I know you are using maya, so did you use xoliul shader for maya or did you import it into 3ds max. Also idk why but i thought u were using Vray :P
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts, 3ds max has much better version of xoliul shader.
    Vray is so slow and it's good only for hipolys.
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Great thanks!! BTw hoe did u make those little signs and numbers, aswell as that grip pattern in Maya for he high poly
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
    really nice work there man... could we please see your texture maps?
  • BLACKMETAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts, i did that in ps.

Chicken Dip, sure
    Tex_sheet.jpg
  • Kostja08
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude!
  • gel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gel polycounter lvl 7
    Very Nice work Black Metal,

Have you tried using PBR shader?
    Love to see the results.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Really damned inspirational. A god among men!