Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Desert Palace - Prince of Persia inspired environment

Replies

• Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    hi, great work!.. it's got me intrigued in your workflow. Can you elaborate on it a little more?.. am I right in thinking that first you blocked things out low poly in 3d max, then took it into zbrush and sculpted high poly, before bringing into World Machine, then into UDK... I'm confused as to whether you used assets and just instanced them or if in zbrush it was all sculpted as one whole sculpt, then taken to world machine. At what point did you extract normals?.. and how was it all brought into UDk?.. Do you have any info/tutorials on this kind of workflow?
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I'd love to hear how you did the wind on your vegetation? SpeedTree or Vertex Offsetting? If it's vertex offsetting, can you share the techniques you used? <3
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    wow looks amazing, the lighting is fantastic, can't wait to see it when its completely done.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys. I apologise for the late reply, but I got my PC delievered just a few days ago.

tharle: Valid crits :) I will definietly work a bit more on the transitions; I've been thinking of replacing the grass and adding some more types of foliage here and there.

The odd lighting on the foliage in the cave is just me screwing around with interp actors; I had them working fine at first but then I started fiddling around with the materials too much. I will look into them.

paroxum, pogop, gooner442:
    Paroxum is right on the money. I used World Machine to enhance my block out/sculpt by applying erosion/snow filters and to get the masks that could be used as Landscape layers. The workflow was very similar to the one documented at Splash Damage wiki.

The main difference was, that in the end I have decided to use the Landscape tool instead of a static mesh. For that reason, I had to render my height maps and masks at a resolution that matches these values. I should probably note, that you could skip the whole blocking out/sculpting stage and set up your layout directly in World Machine. It has some in-built tools that let you do that, but I couldn't get the results I wanted using them. See section 5 in WM2 User Guide for more info.

ichii3D: I completely agree about the atmosphere; I do feel that I could push it much much more. Lately, I've been inspired by this thread and I'm hoping to remodel the foreground area manually to make it look more organic and unique.That would of course include working more on the foliage placement, etc. All in all, I'm somewhat aiming for the Uncharted 2 level of quality. I'm not sure if I can pull it off, but fuck it. At least it's gonna be a good challenge :poly142:

feanix: Yeah, it's done by vertex offsetting. I wrote a bit about it in my previous post, but I will post my material network once I get UDK reinstalled. It's very similar to what Hourences does in this tut.

Minotaur0, jocose, jeal, Shaffer, MeintevdS, dudealan2001, XRevan23:
    Thanks a lot guys :D
  • Lajza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lajza polycounter lvl 6
    HI..have you idea how to import a Heigh mapa in to UDk. I have tried to do it withe map 513x513 but it not working. I think its's problem withe size of tetxtura becouse it's need to be a power of 2 minus 1. I realy don't know how to resize this tetxure to be a regular. Can anyone help me?
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Your rocks look fantastic, did you use an alpha to get those minor rock-like details or were they hand done? Mind a quick summary of your workflow? Very jealous, great work.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lajza wrote: »
    HI..have you idea how to import a Heigh mapa in to UDk. I have tried to do it withe map 513x513 but it not working. I think its's problem withe size of tetxtura becouse it's need to be a power of 2 minus 1. I realy don't know how to resize this tetxure to be a regular. Can anyone help me?

http://www.lilchips.com/hmcs2.asp

For UNREAL ENGINE you need the HMCS TOOL to convert your heightmap . bmp into heightmap . r16
    Works fine , easy to use - you'll need to adjust just the altitude !!!
    For TERRAIN editor keep 513*513 , but for the new tool LANDSCAPE go for 512*512....still testing; strange ...:poly142:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainHeightmaps.html
    :thumbup:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LandscapeCreating.html
    :thumbup:
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    That looks great Tea&cigarettes!