Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

the pirate character

hello, im working for myselfe project for showreel mixed with texturing, modeling and animating.

For now I have modeled pirate character.

I would like to present it in high poly for films and low poly for games.

So, if I have high poly model, how actually I could present it in low poly?

Do i need to delete some edges to minimize poly count?

Right now poly count show 6293 faces. that is lot right? So what number of faces should be acceptably?

And of course any critics and suggestions are always welcome.

I will post some screen shoots.

thank you!

5nt4z9.jpg

2wnus89.jpg

28qw36t.jpg

Replies

• snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    the face is to flat.push and pull parts of the face
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    If your animating I belive you would keep it at high poly - but this is coming nowhere from my experience so just wait till someone varifies this :P - at least to my knowledge all the animation is kept at highpoly for smooth animation.
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    You're at over 12k triangles which isn't terrible these days, but it could be optimized greatly considering the simplicity of the character. Poly counts for the low poly models varies depending on what gaming platform or system spec you're aiming for, but I think trying to keep it under 5k triangles (which is not the same as the face count you were looking at!) would be a decent start.

Jungsik: I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly, but even for movie models it's probably fine for him to work with proxy/unsmoothed meshes for animation and only smooth for previews and final renders. The smoothness of the actual model doesn't have anything to do with the smoothness of the animation (unless you're referring to checking on deformations or something?).
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Haikai: Ahhh I see, I'm not very familiar with the animation process T_T - I was thinking deformation when animated, cause its lowpoly. Thanks for clearing that out for me - I guess it does matter on what system spec he would be aiming for - kinda makes sense if I think about it.
  • winternights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, thanks for all responds!

snake85027, I will try to push in/out more... I actually try to make him look stylish from my picture, I actually made him little changes like adding hook, etc.

Jungsik, yes Im thinking of animating him in high poly, but will see... Im stilly confuze for now to keep all in low poly in presentation or in high then in low... heh

haikai, hey I have a qustion, faces count we say actually poly count? Or is more important to look how many triangles we have?

here is also picture I made and try to mach him...

2v8mmn5.jpg

thanks
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Any kind of rendering (even the viewport although it doesn't display it that way by default) results in triangulation, so triangle counts are more accurate than poly face counts for determining the cost of the mesh. You can say that vertex counts would be even more accurate for performance measurements, but most people use triangle counts, and the term it's often used interchangeably with "polygon count."

Maya is just giving you more stats by counting the poly faces, but you should pay attention to the Tris below that.