Home Technical Talk

Snapping vertices in Max

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,

I was wondering if max has any tool similar to snapping in Maya.
What I mean by this is, if I have a row of vertices that I want brough at the same level as another vertice, how would I do that? Now, I know I am explaining myself terribly so here is a picture:
snapss.jpg

I want the uneven vertices to be snapped at the exact same height as the 2 vertices on the left. I know I can use a Planar along the Z axis, but I do not want everything averaged. I need those uneven ones to come and meet along the length of the two on the left.

I know this works like a charm in Maya, but what about Max?

Replies

• Bal
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I use the X Y Z buttons in the Editable Poly tools, which aligns your selection to the world, then snap the aligned verts to the lowest one with the regular snap... It's super slow compared to how I do it in Maya. :(
    I think there are some alignement scripts that alow you to do it a bit faster though...
  • Mark Dygert
    Maybe this?
    sedge.gifsedge_edge.gif
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/straighten-edge
    I think Illusion Catalyst might have something like this also...
  • fmnoor
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    ^^^^yea I don't use a script for this, but that looks like a good option.

In Max though, make sure you have your snaps toolbar visible.

ohsnap.JPG

that option at the end XY is the snap by axis / align thing I love in Maya.

It's not as nice as Maya's way of doing it but it's there.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Vertex snap the last vert to the first vert and then use the straighten loop tool (Graphite) to bring the others in line.

Straighen loop is pretty well hidden. you need to go to the ribbon in edge mode.
    Go to Loops
    Loop Tools
    A floater will appear with the loop tools. they rock :D
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    u can align them on either of 3 axis (x,y or z - u do it in Edit Poly tools of your object) and then snap them to the one u want.
    U could of course snap them 1 by 1 and it wont be that bad seen that u dont have many of them.
  • THE 5
    Offline / Send Message
    THE 5 polycounter lvl 13
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Vertex snap the last vert to the first vert and then use the straighten loop tool (Graphite) to bring the others in line.

Straighen loop is pretty well hidden. you need to go to the ribbon in edge mode.
    Go to Loops
    Loop Tools
    A floater will appear with the loop tools. they rock :D

In the customize UI options you can drag them into a toolbar aswell or hotkey them (category "Poly Tools"). Just saying because I find them incredible usefull ;)
    You need to be in one of the Editable Poly submodes to activate the floater though.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    You can do this with axis project tool in IC.Shape.

The steps would be;
    1) Select all the uneven vertices
    2) Hit axis project hotkey/button
    3) Click and drag down a certain axis of one of those 2 vertices that you want the rest to be aligned with.

I list the steps because it's a lot simpler and logical than dustinbrown's method.