Home Technical Talk

Dual monitor

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi This is tecnical forum so I think to post this in the right session if is not please move it to the appropiate one ...

In anycase I would lik eto ask , What are your sugestions on a Dual screen configuration , I have to sell my old monitor and I was thinking to a dual monitor solution ....

It woul dbe either like :

A) monitor 30" + monitor 24 " ( actual one )

or

B) monitor 27 " + monitor 27 "

For budget reasons the costs is almoust the same like buying a 30 " and keep the old or sell the old and get two 27 " , slightly more expensive 27 " but not that much ...

what are your sugestions or actual favored use if you have a 27 or a 30 and you know the difference can you tell me?

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    The difference is 3" obviously!

Kidding aside, i prefer working with 2 identical sizes,but thats only my opinion.
    Working with with 2 different sizes feels unnatural to me

Edit:

And you don´t have to mess around with color settings and stuff if you buy 2 identical ones.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's probably best to get two identical monitors whenever possible.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    ok what kind of monitors do you use in the dual ? I was going for a 30 " couse of the size but I guess 2 30" is a bit too much expensive for me ...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I currently have a 23" monitor, and I'll be ordering another one in a week or so. Even two 23" seems like more than enough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a 24" and a 20", I dont really have problems with the two difference sizes. However, the difference between a 24 and 30 is 6 inches, that may be a lot. A 27 is fucking huge as well, i'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed going 2x 27.

Now more important than the size is that you actually get a good panel. I would always buy a smaller screen with a better panel at the same price. So make sure you're not looking at a "too good to be true" TN panel with terrible color shifting and poor viewing angles.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am a fun of DELL products and I always been finding myself fine with them , so I was thinking to get two Dell UltraSharp U2711 European 69 cm (27”)-widescreen (2560 x 1440) with PremierColor – Black
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is an IPS panel and should be an extremely good monitor.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    IPS means? Do you think I will find well with playing games too ? I won't regret to not take one 30"?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IPS is a type of panel that is know for good image quality, accurate colors, and excellent viewing angles. Which makes a great choice for Art, IPS panels are known to have slower refresh times than TN panels, however it looks like this panel is 6ms, whereas a "fast" tn panel would be 2-5ms or something, really should not make any difference in games unless you're an anal retentive "pro gamer" or something. =P

Also you may want to look at this, it says that u 2711 is about mid-range when it comes to input lag. I actually have one of the "worst" on that list, the 2408WFP, but have never noticed any lag when playing games.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922/4

As far as 27 vrs 30, if it was your only monitor, you might notice the difference between the two, however you're going to get TWO 27" MONITORS!!! That is an insane amount of screenspace.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW which has a TN Panel and there is no problem with color shifting or poor viewing angles at all.
    But EarthQuake is right, getting one with a good panel(most TN panels are really shitty) should be your highest priority.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Well I have a Dell 24" 2407 Rev A3 monitor atm , quite old now amd I think got some cray pixels right in center of it , nothing very noticeable tough ...

so my Idea was either flank to my 24 a 30 " or get two 27" always dell , considering the new tech Dell uses tough the results might be differing on the two monitors...
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I have a Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW which has a TN Panel and there is no problem with color shifting or poor viewing angles at all.
    But EarthQuake is right, getting one with a good panel(most TN panels are really shitty) should be your highest priority.

I highly doubt there is "no problem", more that you just dont mind. Your TN panel is undoubtedly worse than a quality *VA, IPS, E-IPS etc panel. All TNs have color shifting and poor view angles, some worse than others of course.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, it may be more like i don´t mind.But since i look at my screen from a direct angle I couldn´t care less about angles at which i look at the screen.
    Even if the colors shift if i look from far above or the side they just get a little bit darker. Most TN Panels tend to invert the colors.

The bad thing about most TN panels is that they just have a 18 Bit Color Range and try to interpolate 24Bit with dithering which is very noticable.

I agree that TN panels are mostly poor regarding visual quality but as you said some are worse than others.
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    I just upgraded to 2x 24" Dell P2411 monitors. They are perfect for me and also the fact that these panels are wide screen, having 2 side by side take up space. So you better have the space for 2x 27".

Personally I like them matched, easier on the eyes and of course no need to tinker with them to get them to match in color and display.

I got lucky and pick the monitors at $189 each (reg price is $329)! :)

http://tinyurl.com/4zmsz4z