Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Backwater Gospel

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Thats astonishing, Love it love it love it. The priest fella is so cool, I love the mouth.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Psalm of Withering is prehistory of Backwater Gospel?
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Simply stunning!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that was awesome. Nicely done guys, congrats on getting this finished!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    incredibly well executed piece! I dont tend to watch much horror oriented stuff just cause Im not into that and this was a bit too gritty and dark for my tastes, overall leaves me feeling rather sad and a bit like I need to go wash my face and let my mind dwell on brighter things. Maybe thats the reaction you are expecting from some people, I dont know.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The colors mood and progression is so nicely done. I love the style. I've watched it 3 times since last night.
  • uneditablepoly
    Very awesome and unique animation! Great work!
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks people, much obliged!

Bbox85
    Thanks buddy, that's very kind of you. The internship is a mandatory part of our education and I have to say, I enjoy it so far.

I wrote up a little breakdown of the time since the original character, if anyone would be intersted:

Spring 2009:
    Via Last.FM I first got introduced to the bands Those Poor Bastards and Sons of Perdition. Being an old fan of bands like 16 Horsepower, Slim Cessna's Auto Club and The Denver Gentlemen I naturally felt drawn to the gritty Western universe.

May 2009:
    I liked the song "The Dust Storm" by Those Poor Bastards so much that I began toying around with the idea of making a fan music video for it. I wanted to try something I had had in mind for a while, namely the technique I used for the character above. http://vimeo.com/4913136

Summer 2009:
    I felt the result of my experiment had potential and as the time for pitches of bachelor project ideas was coming up at the school, I decided to see if I could make up a story for a film that would utilize the technique. The rough story beats of The Backwater Gospel started to take shape. I contacted Those Poor Bastards and Sons of Perdition and both we're interested. The latter turned out to be a vital part of the production, writing music and doing voice acting, as well as consulting the story.

September 2009:
    The project got chosen and the team was assembled.

June 18th, 2010:
    Final deadline, the film was handed in.

Fall, 2010:
    The sound was designed mainly in this period.

January 28, 2011:
    Official premiere of all bachelor films in the cinema Fotorama in Viborg, Denmark (where the school also is located). A couple of weeks later the films were put online.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    I just wanted to say that this is absolutely amazing. I loved everything about it.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Absolutely stunning. One of the best shorts I've ever seen. You've got to get someone in the industry to hook your team up with an award of some type.
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! A couple of festivals have contacted me and encouraged us to submit the film, so hopefully it will make its way to the big screen eventually. I haven't heard from the school if it's been accepted anywhere but we're crossing fingers.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Really great stuff. Excellent lighting, composition and color. You all did a great job both technically and artistically. Well executed! Rock the festivals!

-T
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that, awesome work!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Phenominal job. The art work is stunning and the style is grand. You need to get this out more dude.
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    I think a group of us watched this 3 times in a row yesterday at work. And then I watched it 3 more times during the course of the day. Well done and inspiring.
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Dude this was nothing short of amazing, really really really amazing. Be proud, seriously, holy shit. Gonna go watch it again.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, awesome short! Loved the art direction, i really like the hand painted style. And although i am not a fan at all of limited animation styles (animation styles similar to anim
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unnngggghhh unique style... great animation..... awesome overloadddddddddd.....
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    So Awesome, Watching again...and again. Big ups! Loved the style, great colaberation.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Unreal, love how dark it is! :D The massacre scene reminds me of the style that Hellsing Ultimate uses in it's fight scenes as well :D Brings back good memories.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    best. short. ever.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any infos on the mark you got for this? (if your school gives marks that is)
  • Mathorne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-M-M-M-MMONSTER THANKS! ANKKS! ANKS! I'm really happy that you guys here on Polycount especially are excited about the short!

e-freak
    Thanks man, I forgot to reply to your comment. The rainbow is one of the things most people react to, curiously enough. I can understand how people feel that it is out of place but it's actually one of the things I'm most confident with. I love how it implies that what we've just seen is a happy ending and for those in the know it's also a reference to the story of the Flood from Genesis.

conte
    Hehe, not really, Withering was made a while after Backwater and is not supposed to take place in the same universe, although they are undeniably similar.

Ged
    Yeah, it isn't supposed to be a film for everyone, actually I'm surprised we haven't got more negative criticism based on the sheer brutality of the film. But maybe those voices are just keeping it quiet.

whats_true
    I actually feel this thing is exposed way more than I would have hoped! If you do a search on Google it pops up all sorts of weird places. My favorite is a Christian forum where the message is discussed!

HandSandwich
    Jesus, you must relish the dark! That's more than I could sit through! Greatly appreciated, of course!

Renaud Galand
    Coming from you, that. means. a. lot.

e-freak
    The animators have graduated and they did really well, but the final grade is a mix between the film, the making ofs and the individual thesis. The other half of the team, the CG artists, me included, haven't had our exams yet as we started a semester behind the animators. But frankly I have close to no respect for the grading system as it's purely academical and amazing artists have been awarded the same grade as much less talented, much less hard working people. And the industry won't care anyway.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathorne wrote: »
    But frankly I have close to no respect for the grading system as it's purely academical and amazing artists have been awarded the same grade as much less talented, much less hard working people. And the industry won't care anyway.

Yes - that's my impression as well (grading in most schools and how much the grades are worth).
    The rainbow is one of the things most people react to, curiously enough. I can understand how people feel that it is out of place but it's actually one of the things I'm most confident with. I love how it implies that what we've just seen is a happy ending and for those in the know it's also a reference to the story of the Flood from Genesis.

Actually that makes good sense and I appreciate how much thought seem to have gone into this. For me it stuck out because it broke the color palette, but one might argue that this is actually now the "cleaned land" and therefore can break the palette.

Did you show this at any event/festival yet? would love to see some reactions on it :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! One of the best things I have seen in a while :) I can only imagine the sheer amount of work that was put into it.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy crap that was amazing. loved the style, really well done!