Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fiddler

This is my first post so hello :)

I`m working on fiddler model. Low poly has about 12k triangles.

I going to do whole environment scene with vegetation and nice old man pose playing on the fiddle. Later maybe I will try to do animation from it.
But first i`d like to show you high and low poly w.i.p. of fiddler.

What do you think about it?

fiddler_4.jpg

fiddler_1.jpg

fiddler_2.jpg

fiddler_5.jpg

Replies

• Karol F
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fiddle wireframe:

fiddler_6.jpg
  • Karol F
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    I think it looks nice. I can't give a technical view on it, because I'm just starting out learning how to model.

It does seem weird to me that you would sculpt out the lines in the socks though.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know if I'm diggin the texture on the fiddle, looks a bit like sandpaper..or really course, but then again the fiddler is an elf/hobo type dude so i doubt he'd have Stradivarius.
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Awesome!
    Love the wrinkles on most things, the face/expression = fantastic. Hands are also great!

Im thrown off by the grade of wrinkles on the vest, the flow of the edges imply large smooth wrinkles as if the fabric is fairly thick but you seem to have really sharp fine ones on it. Also the two corners are different sharpness, the lower one is very soft and rounded while the one that sits right above the buckle is pretty sharp.

The rolled up sleeves seem to get thinner at the elbow, I would expect that if they were rolled/pushed up, they would bunch up in that area creating a thicker band where they meet the arms.

But still, very cool!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm enjoying the style here quite a lot. The textures on your character look very nice and the materials seem to read pretty easily. However, I think you might want to take a look at your character's topology again, because I have a feeling you could do a bit of tidying up and optimizing.
    As for the violin I think the textures are looking nice, but the area near the f-holes is reading a bit off to me. Maybe if you brought in some edge highlighting around the holes they would pop a bit more to contrast with the darker wood you used around them.

looking forward to seeing more :]
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    That's some really solid work man! Looking forward to more!
  • Karol F
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback :)

In few days I will show something more from the scene
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what you are planning to do for the environment?
  • Karol F
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I`m planning to do town gates where the fiddler will plays by the road. I`d like to do a lot of vegetation and maybe any audience.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh, very cool setting. Im going to throw this out there as just an off the wall idea, not trying to step on your toes at all. What if he is an animal charmer of sorts with that violin of his? It could be a story element and at the same time lighten your load a bit, rather than doing several full characters, which I'm under the impression is quite time consuming, you could make some animals.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to your next update!