Home General Discussion

Bulletstorm; Worst game ever made!

Replies

• kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm willing to bet that parents that play video games are more strict with their kids than parents that don't play video games. I also made some comments about this issue in my podcast.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I spent my childhood playing Soldier of Fortune. Back in the day that was some hardcore sh*t. I turned out fine.

I think it depends on the child. Take a child like I was, I could easily tell the difference between what was real and what was a game, and I know I shouldn't copy them.

Whereas take a child like my brother, IQ below 12 with no common sense. My parents did not allow him to play the mature, violent games. If my brother got his hands on the likes of Grand Theft Auto at the age I was playing it (8 btw) I can guarantee he'd be out on the street trying to smash car windows with his elbow and carrying around an RPG in his left jean pocket.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    HEY EPIC... 30 FPS LOCK, EH?

Sort this shit out dawwwwwg! :p Otherwise cracking looking game! It really does piss all over the console versions *hugs PC*
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Picking up the 360 version after work :) If the PC editor gets released (doubtful) or someone hacks to make it available like with Borderlands (may happen), then I'll buy it on PC :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    wooooo! gogogo play! killlll!
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Picked mine up today. was playing during lunch. Love it so far haha.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    from playing the demo I don't see what's really all that exciting in this game...

Am I missing something? The bad guys aren't really all that challenging or interesting.
    It's like borderlands without a lot of the cool rpg elements, or large roaming areas.

The art is neato at least. Maybe I need to give it another try...
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    Fox being Fox. Same story they've been reporting for 15 years.

Game looks pretty lame to me. It definitely seems to be targeting the 18 and under demographic.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Not appealing, seems like a re-branding of UT3 and a ripping off of The Club. Epic should start being more creative, or else.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with the sentiment of the last 2 posts. It just looks like UT3/Gears... Can Epic do anything different? :)
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creativity ain't where the money's at.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the game definitely isn't for everyone. Especially if you're jaded, and think games should tell you everything you need to know about how to play (which with the internet its hard not to be that!). If you play the game by running, shooting, and taking cover, the game is boring. If you utilize sliding, kicking, leashing, alt fires, weapon switches while fighting, etc, it becomes a much more active, fun, and exciting experience that you as a player are creating instead of being handed into a heavily scripted sniper sequence. You're rewarded for being aggressive, where as in other modern shooters you're penalized for charging in balls out with blood on your mind... by dying over and over.

I would not judge the game on the demo however, and not judging it on how COD, Halo, MW, Quake, and even Gears have taught us how to play shooters. It is more akin to UT/UC2, in a way - with doing creative shock combos, rocket kills, etc. You always see those videos of Halo, COD/MW2, UT, Quake, etc where some ridiculous kill happens because some random grenade flew 400ft across the map to tag someone on the head and make them do 6 flips in the air, or some shock combo killed someone who flew into a rocket... Bulletstorm is a game about that - and doing that easily and repeatedly.

dont want to sound like i'm hating on quake, ut, mw, cod,halo, etc - those games are fun, Bulletstorm is a completely different beast with a familiar face.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    That's some severe ignorance there guys. The game was made by People Can Fly, creators of Painkiller. Epic had a touch and go type of co-operation with them.

The Club had point's but it was not as dynamic or deep as Bulletstorm, nor did it have anything interesting at all in form of weaponry or skills.
    And honestly, UT3? Really? Unrealistic weapons is a UT3 thing now?
    Honestly if you think THIS is an uncreative game you have not played FPS games the last 6 years. Or games at all.

@Heartless: How about you play it first? And the target demographic for "lame" is 18 below? That's a pretty broad generalisation of a group of peoples taste man.
    @Moof, you might have played the demo wrong to be honest, this is how you play Bulletstorm:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XjOkuPcqM0[/ame]
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, bro. I'm 23 and gratuitous swearing isn't somethin' that appeals to me. All the fun of being able to kill enemies is unique ways goes out the door when it's forced.

Red gradient overlay, so real!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Well... at least the mighty foot is back. UT3 doesn't have a mighty foot, can't see why the confusion. A lack of soldiers firing real-world weapons isn't a bad thing, heck there's an overall lack of weapon creativity in FPS games in the past 13 years you'd have to go way back to 1996 for some cooler weapons and that's not even speaking for nostalgia. It's a breath of fresh air to see new games firing something not a traceline or a generic projectile that explodes.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @heartless: You must not enjoy a lot of games if something as little as that effectively ruins your entire experience.
    I heard relaxing and not taking an unserious game seriously helps a lot :P
    But it's just your opinion, just don't base it entirely on game footage, see if you can give the demo a whirl sometime, it's turned a lot of cynics around :)

And I'd rather have red gradient to communicate low health than the results of a tomato thrown in my face ;) and unlike those other games, this one does in no way aim to be "real" :P

And completely agree leilei, I miss the days of creative weapons that made it easy to identify different shooters.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not just the swearing the turned me off. I don't care for the points system. On the rare occasion I play an FPS, I like to get creative. If I manage to throw a sticky grenade at someones face from a hundred feet away, feels good man. But once X move is worth more points than Y, and the object is to get more points, no more creativity.

I doubt I'll check out the demo, I'm balls deep in some Bayonetta and I'd probably just end up playing the demo wrong anyway haha.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But what if X move is harder to do than Y and requires mastery of Y to be doable in the first place? Seems like a pretty standard mastery formula in games to me such as in Bayonetta(need to pick that up, loved the demo) or Ninja Gaiden, but you already gave indication that you're not an FPS player, so anything you say about the game is moot really, and that's fine.
    As for the quip about the demo: You can play Bulletstorm wrong; if you play it like CoD, you're playing it wrong. If you play CoD like Bulletstorm, you're playing CoD wrong :P

Anyway, more on topic: Still waiting for my Steam unlock, Europe gets the short end of the stick yet again :P
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    But what if X move is harder to do than Y and requires mastery of Y to be doable in the first place? Seems like a pretty standard mastery formula in games to me such as in Bayonetta(need to pick that up, loved the demo) or Ninja Gaiden, but you already gave indication that you're not an FPS player, so anything you say about the game is moot really, and that's fine.
    As for the quip about the demo: You can play Bulletstorm wrong; if you play it like CoD, you're playing it wrong. If you play CoD like Bulletstorm, you're playing CoD wrong :P

Anyway, more on topic: Still waiting for my Steam unlock, Europe gets the short end of the stick yet again :P
    I'll leave it at an agree to disagree. You definitely need to get Bayonetta. It's dirt cheap these days, like $14 on eBay, and I'm diggin' it more than Devil May Cry. Great mechanics, drippin' with style.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I grew up on Turok, Mortal Kombat, Unreal/Unreal Tournament, Primal Rage, Bloody Roar, etc.
    I feel as though I've turned out okay.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    "I'm going to murder your dick"
    "Murder my dick? What does that even mean? I'm gonna murder YOUR dick!"

Dialogue like this doesn't come often, folks. The game is pretty solid so far.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I'm having a lot of fun with it. I too thought the cursing, and sexual innuendo would get old real fast, but so far it really hasn't been as bad or as often as you'd think. It's just been a really fun game, with AMAZING background art. I'll be playing through this again, and again. I can see it becoming a regular part of my gaming diet in the future.

Side note, why don't any of the rifles have stocks? I know that's kind of an Epic games thing, but this is People Can Fly. Without stocks, the rifles look REALLY weird.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    I havnt played it yet, but from the trailers, it looks like a ton of fun!

The issue Im having is the dialog. Im a little squeamish when it comes to a lot of cursing and such. Not cuz I dont like cursing (I LOVE cursing). Its just that when its done this often, it feels forced and artificial. Is this the case?
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me, and this is just me, the majority of adults cursing seems forced. On this, it is a little forced, but it's not like a certain other game I can't remember... But they had dialogue like this gem: "who the fuck are you?" "Who the fuck am I? I'll fucking tell you who the fuck I am" THAT is forced, and awful. In Bulletstorm, it's not like that. But it is like Ghostscape posted;

"I'm going to murder your dick"
    "Murder my dick? What does that even mean? I'm gonna murder YOUR dick!"

Dialogue like this doesn't come often, folks. The game is pretty solid so far.

If you can get the demo, try it out. It'll shed a lot of light on the amount of cursing
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first off,

game storyline is ok so far, and the dialog is humerous but may get old to some. Feels like a Bruce Campbell movie.

Gameplay is awesome and shines greatness! Satisfying kills, awesome 4 player coop kills, awesome looking environments, I'm having a lot of fun with it! My wife asked if it was gears of war, and granted the first 5 mins, but once you go to the planet, the color bursts off the screen! Awesome job to everyone that worked on it!

[Tech Questions for Epic guys]

* The birds in the opening menu, they look like particles with animated sprites, but the sun rays use the alpha in the texture. Is this something that is in UDK?

* The point system with the kill words and points, are those done with scaleform or are they particles?

* the fire fx look really good, they look they were done in an external program, like fumefx and made into animated texture sheet. When i got close to the particle i was little or no pixelation. Is there something in the material that was causing it to blur instead of pixelate.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    * The point system with the kill words and points, are those done with scaleform or are they particles?

not scaleform. Can't comment on the specifics, but i think it was all done manually. Scaleform came online too late to be integrated into Bulletstorm safely & without complete reworking of existing content. All of the UI used the old UI editor, and some very patient and gifted engineers and artists at PCF. :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose wrote: »
    All of the UI used the old UI editor, and some very patient and gifted engineers and artists at PCF. :)

having used to old UI editor for Hour of Victory I feel their pain!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    first off,

* The birds in the opening menu, they look like particles with animated sprites, but the sun rays use the alpha in the texture. Is this something that is in UDK?

Yup, the birds are particles with animated sprites :) And yes, it is in UDK :) Its just the "standard" lightshaft postprocess in UDK.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: thanks for the info!
    Snefer: thanks I'll have to do some playing in udk tonight.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Really great game, was quite short, beat it in one sitting in fact... I do wish the PC version wasn't such a sloppy port, so many bugs, getting stuck in geo, 30FPS lock, poor performance on my good PC etc...

But hats off, fantastic game, made me laugh out loud a few times :D
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm installing Gears of War PC again just to experience some kind of Epic/PCF game while I endure the horrible wait for Bulletstorm Europe.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had a lot of fun with this one. The General got a little overboard, and tiresome, but it all still worked for me.

Just saw the video where they show how they made a ton of different baddies off the one baddie model. That was really cool.

Official blog post in case someone hasn't seen it already: http://www.peoplecanfly.com/blog/2011/01/how-to-make-an-army-out-of-one-bald-dude/
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if I'll ever get around to post any indepth Stuff, but just discovered these two screenshots on the Unreal Site:

Matinee_05.jpg
    Matinee_04.jpg

Although I didn't own these exact scenes it pretty much sums up the first 2/3 of my job on Bulletstorm :) Matinee and cinematic Characters stuff (lighting, synching etc)! The other 3rd was MoBu, Toiletdoorknobrepairing, video editing and some internal Tools writing.

I'm not with the company anymore so that's pretty much my art-dump. Would need to see if the cutscenes end up on Youtube sometime soon, would be awesome to share them.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Demo's out, all us poor mofo's can finally try this out, just go to the bulletstorm page on steam, it's on the right side.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    well I just downloaded the demo on steam, launched it. it logged me into windows live and wanted a 25 long key code. and gave me this sweet-ass error.

wtferror.png
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    "sadist overkill" lol
    game / ai looks pretty stupid tho
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Ugh. Windows Live..why does anyone use that??
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    free bulletstorm soundtrack :) might wanna be quick, they dont stay up for long usually :D thanks kotaku

http://epicgames.com/community/2011/04/fan-freebies-get-the-bulletstorm-soundtrack/