Home General Discussion

Posture?

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
Once upon a time, there was a guy who sat in this comfy living room working tirelessly away on his computer. And everyday, he'd spend entirely too much of his time in just this one position. Until one day, he looked in the mirror and realized he was starting to LOOK like his Chair :|

Because of this.. unflattering chair-like body i've created, I'm testing out the idea of standing at my workstation
Has anyone tried this? Did it help?

Any tips & tricks to help posture? -My back will THANK YOU!

Replies

• Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Standing up might help, but when your body gets tired it tends to compensate in other ways. If you stand for a long time you might tend to lock your knees to support your weight or shift your weight causing your spine to come out of alignment.

If you really want to correct your posture there's nothing better than exercise. If you take time to strengthen your muscles they will be able to support your body for extended periods of time in any position.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Good workout will help ease your back
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, working out will help strengthen your back and relieve a lot of the monotonous strain you put on it.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    and swimming.... it makes wonders with your back and not only... i am so sad i cant practice it now :(
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    what disanski said,

Also workouts, especially for the back/shoulder area and your abdominal muscles will work wonders.
    Jogging's pretty good, too.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    "I'm told I have very bad posture. But my mom says its cuz I have a HUGE cock."
    -Daniel Tosh

Just buy a more expensive chair, and move your chair closer to your desk so that your chest is almost touching the edge. You'll see that you will always be leaning back with a strait spine.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The common consensus seems to be ... "Get off your lazy duff, and exercise!"

Who am I to argue ;)
    I don't think I can wiggle my way out of some of this advise. You guys are right. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big fan of the exercising, and get the posture question a lot.

Sitting in a chair all day is a lovely combination of physical destruction. Because of the natural forward focus of the body, most of the muscles in the front of your torso tighten. All the back muscles, lay waste in atrophy from lack of use.

This nasty duo leaves your body not strong enough to hold your bones in the right places. So calculate how many hours a day you're sitting at your desk (at work and at home), and this is how much of the day your destroying your posture. Hopefully, knowing this can inspire you to want to work to correct it.

Stretches, Yoga, Foam Roller, one of those stretchy exercise bands. You don't have to pick up heavy weights and spend a lot of time in the gym, but it helps. If you get the right stretches, bodyweight exercises and be consciously active about correcting your posture throughout the day, you'd be could not-so-quasimodo in no-time.

Here's some articles that have more info than you need:

deconstructing_computer_guy
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/deconstructing_computer_guy
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/deconstructing_computer_guy_the_other_23_hours

neanderthal_no_more_part
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_part_i
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_part_ii
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_iii
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/neanderthal_no_more_part_iv
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    if you have an iPhone I find that the "100 push ups" line of apps are easy to do and motivating, along with a good healthy dose of yoga.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    fat-cat-sitting-on-its-back.gif

I got awesome posture!
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I've tried the standing thing. You can't do it all day every day. I actually think it's awesome the first couple of days, then gets hard on your knees after the second week, and just uncomfortable after that.

It does give you focus, energy, and a sense of authority while working.
    I think a combo of a barstool, and a standup station, and switching back and forth would be the best setup ever.

You need to get a pad for your feet, as well as the station and stool though, just fyi.

Also, exercise will do you wonders.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @cholden - That was an epic post! Great read overall- I learned quite a bit of new stuff

@Firecracker - It's funny that you should mention that app. I started http://hundredpushups.com/index.html just 5 days ago! Seems they also have 200squats/25pullups/200situp programs as well. That sure will keep me going

@Seforin - No comment... haha ;)

@Moof- Ahh it's good to hear someone who's tried the standing thing! Good tips about the floor pad and stool. I'm feeling like that's going to be a necessity if I continue doing this.
    I'm noticing that it's allowing more focus and energy, but I can see it's going to take awhile for my body to be conditioned to the idea
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Some of the guys at Bungie had desks that would raise up so they could stand. Most would only stand for like an hour or two at a time and only do it one of two times a day.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Personally I really like the loud drawn out cracking noise my back makes when I stand and give it a good stretch.

Makes me feel manly.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I have one of those office desks with a motor so you can raise/lower it in matter of seconds. The trick in my opinion is to never stay still in one position for too long whatever position (sitting/standing) it might be.

I've had it for about 4 months now and I'm happy with it. I think it works. I shift maybe 2-4 times a day depending on when I remember too and how much time I'm spending at my workspace or at other parts of the office.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Wow! Who would have thought so much good advice in one place!
    Pretty much agree with it all. I use a plain ol' dining room chair. It's not conducive to sitting back so when working I tend to sit up with no contact cept th butt. Maybe that would help.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I find that i work best when i am comfy. and i am comfy when i slouch back like a fat fuck.

so i just get up like every hour and run around, go up and down the stairs, go outside water the plants or w/e. I don't think there is any way to sit that works for like hours on end. Gotta make the blood move around. No way in hell i can do computer work standing up. Then all my mind is focused on is the fact that I'm not perfectly comfy.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I used to airbrush standing up mainly, but don't feel the need to do it for computer work. I have a standard dining room chair and
    never have any back problems, weird
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, take breaks and move around. Being active in other parts of your life will help.

A standing desk is nice especially if it transitions from standing to seated. A few people at work have them and they're up and down all through out the day. They say its a good way to give your body a stretch and still keep working. Personally I'd rather stretch my legs by going for a walk outside or run some stairs. It's better for my eyes to go out and focus on other things besides a monitor. If it's used through out the day and you still take actual breaks great, but I wouldn't use it as a replacement.

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    We got motorised desks at work that transition to any height  and i alternate between sitting and standing. Its great to have the option. My only advice is that standing isn't the solution to all posture problems. You are as likely to have a bad posture standing as you are having sitting. And if you are standing, your feet are under stress. We all have special standing matts that relieves stress from your feet and back, and you should look at getting something like that as well.
  • Skinpop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinpop polycounter lvl 9
    i work from home and a while back I decided to leverage that and start doing mini workouts every 60-90 minutes. One of these workouts take about 5 minutes and is usually some combination of kettlebell swings, pull ups and body rows on rings, push ups, hollow body hold and so on. I do about eight of these every day. I don't keep a strict schedule but anytime I move around(to get lunch, grab a coffee or use the bathroom) I do one.

It's a great way to stay active throughout the day and break up long sitting sessions. Positives are that 5 minutes is rarely enough to break a sweat and I spend less time waiting around(resting) compared to a single large block of workout, also psychologically very easy to sustain since I don't feel any resistance to doing a few minutes of workout. Negatives, well none for me but this is probably only doable if you work from home. I highly recommend trying this out.