polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cheese_Shinobi polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    The pin seems to come straight out on your model, but in the reference its bent downward and alot longer, which is somethingh i think you should change, would be nice to see the metal plate on the stock modelled on too! overall though, looks pretty good.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks gilesruscoe, I had kindof forgotten to adjust the pin, silly me!
    Added the metalplate to the stock aswell. I think I´m going to move on to making
    the weapon sling, if I got that translation right :P

Perhaps I should explain my goals a bit more in detail.
    I plan to model the Nagant in the style of the sniper rifles used at the battle
    of Stalingrad in WW2, firstly just as a high poly to improve my smooth mesh
    skills.

More C&C are welcome!

fcpf7l.jpg

fbbxic.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Howdy. Not a terrible start right now. I would vary up the cloth, it's very noticable that it's just the same cloth copied over and over. Also a lot of your edges are looking really soft right now. I would add another edge loop on either the other side of the edge or maybe on the same side to sharpen it up. Looks better on bakes, in my opinion.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Okay, where to start.

First, go back to the way you had the bolt handle originally, it was correct. The M38 is a different weapon than the rifle in your reference images. Your references are of a M91/30 with a PU scope and a bolt handle modified to accommodate that scope. The M38 was made by taking extra M91/30s and shortening them to carbine length.

This is a decent start, but some of your proportions and larger shapes are subtly off. I'm seeing issues with the wrist and comb of the buttstock as well as around the receiver (the main chunk that holds the bolt and the root of the barrel), and up towards the forearm and front sight hood. Bottom line, we need to find you better refs of the right rifle. : )

I have both rifles but I'm not in a position where I can take photos. I'd recommend perusing http://7.62x54R.net , which is a fantastic encyclopedia on the Mosin Nagant family of weapons.

Last thing - the canvas strip wrap around the hand guards looks cool (I even put it on my real M91/30), but it isn't historically accurate and wasn't used for a very specific reason - even one loose thread or frayed spot can get in the way of the view down the iron sights, which is a big problem. If you decide to keep it on your model, I'd recommend depicting the wrapping as much thinner. I'll try and get pictures of mine later.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, with the wrapping and bent bolt it looks like your intentions were to make a 91/30PU. In some areas your flow looks a bit bad, namely in the parts i've circled here
    731efa1c65bd548e8c316d0e0b8a4f92.png

adding more polys around there to ease the contours will help.
    Dont let any of the crits discourage you, this is more accurate than the average dickhead gets their weapons.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the slow response, and thank you all forl your comments.
    I took the cloth part into Mudbox and addes a few wrinkels to break up the repetition and make it more... well, cloth-like :P I think I will have to make the strings around the cloth alot thinner since they kindof block out the details right now and I´m not really sure what material they are now anyway.

GarageBay9, thanks a bunch for that photoref link, it helps out alot! Regarding the cloth; I cant call myself an arms expert at all, I just thought the cloth would look like a cool added detail, but thanks for the info. Btw, your own Mosin Nagant, is that a real replica or an airsoft version? Just curious.

ErichWK, I´ve tried to overview my lines, I think I see some of the softer lines you mean, but if you point them out it would be appreciated!

Harry, I´ve added more lines to the areas you pointed out, but I still have some issues at one of them, I´ve posted my wireframe so that someone can perhaps point out any obvious mistake on my behalf.
    And on the contrary, all your crit is MUCH appreciated! :)

Im going to do a make-over of the thing holding onto the reloading mechanism next.

Trigger thingy updated:
    1z3o2hc.jpg

This still looks bad:
    jhv85i.jpg

Cloth:
    11c5gl3.jpg
    2d8q44i.jpg
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update to show I´m still working on this!
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo, high-poly finnished! Starting with lowpoly!

2uigkma.jpg
    v43zw3.jpg
    2whpf2h.jpg
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice I'd say. Good job so far.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here it is, my preliminary done Mosin Nagant rifle. Any comments and crits are welcome!

34ypkjb.jpg
    2mdqxxe.jpg
    30nhg29.jpg
    243kdtt.jpg
    33tjcxc.jpg
    nxrio9.jpg
    wtdkpe.jpg

Maps (1/2 resized):
    1-Grid
    2-Diffuse + AO
    3-Normal
    4-Specular
    2hnw8x3.jpg
    11j2cck.jpg
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    looking good, but i dont think your spec map is doing much justice rite now...
    esspecially on the wood and metal.
    i'd add a lot more grime to both as well as play with the levels on the wood to make the details pop a bit more
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your metal looks quite milky and soft when it should really be a little sharper, also any reason you removed the AO from the spec?
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Why is your cloth using such a ridiculous amount of texture space? you also seem to have a lot of unique bits that really dont have to be, like the stock.
  • Cheese_Shinobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit guys!
    If any of you have some tips about how to make this look better just post them! I havn´t done that many weapons at all in the past.

MikeF - I really think the specular map is the hardest to accomplish but I really want to get better at that. I´ll try to grime it and fix the wooden textures.

sneakymcfox - I never thought about having the AO in the spec at all to be honest :P But if you think that could add something I will try!

gmax5 - Thanks!

zakhar2 - The stocks are unique because the areas where the wood gets curved arn´t the same on both sides. The screw doesnt fit the same on the two sides either. I wanted the cloth to have a nice space of texture to not loose any cloth quality, but perhaps I can make it take up less space.
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i like it so far.

That normal map has loads of micro errors.. of is it me?

That spec map... needs more values.. drop in the ao to taste.. add overlay or other at 50%, paint with greyscale and highlight the bits you need, darken the bits you need. I think.

Keep at it, reminds me of Cod:World at War.