Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

InDeSem 2011

Hey guys, been a long time. I'm organizing a symposium/workshop on design virtual architecture. Game and level design in some ways can offer some interesting perspective on the phenomenon. This is a call for contributions, if you think you could contribute to the theme or know someone who can, please send an email to me: joris[ AT ]indesem.nl

Pasted below is the mission statement:

In recent years our means of interacting with one another have changed dramatically thanks to emerging virtual realities, globalization and mass customization. Historically, built space has been a platform for social interaction; how can architecture ensure a relevant public role in this emerging media driven society, which seems to operate entirely separate from traditional collective spaces?In the face of this phenomenon, it could be said that architecture as we know it is losing ground to new cultural forms. The possibilities of instantly expressing and sharing our myriad individual thoughts and beliefs, increasingly at anytime and anyplace, are creating fundamental changes in society and consequently our spatio-temporal practices.

Where, as designers, do we now take our cues: The liquid phenomenology of the screen? The emergent qualities of advanced algorithms? Endless iterations of ‘related links’? The grassroots democracy of the ‘Like’ button? Architecture sees itself in a moment in which existing paradigms have to be redefined and new values have to be critically evaluated and tested so as to be able to properly form an active approach to the challenges posed by an increasing divide between old and new social realities.

Designers must find ways to operate in this new context. Is architecture able to provide new models for the intersection between the media-driven society and physical environment, and can this be balanced with traditional social interaction and engagement? In recent years we have seen various suggestions; liquid, interactive architecture, ever mutating according to the needs of the user, ‘blurring’ architecture, based on spatial qualities suggested the computer screen; open-source urbanism, employing the participatory dynamics of games; light, nomadic urban forms made possible by infrastructural and communications networks, and so on. Conversely, is it still possible to argue that there is no pressing need for change, that we should instead reinforce historical types and stable, tried-and-tested notions of social space?

INDESEM 2011 will investigate these questions with appropriate philosophical and practical tools. It will do so in a one-week workshop for 80 international students, comprising lectures, excursions, exhibitions, debates, documentaries and more.

Link to the symposium website:
http://www.indesem.nl/

Info on the symposium:
What makes INDESEM (INternational DEsign SEMinar) special is the cooperation between students of different nationalities and renowned architects and theorists. INDESEM was organized for the 1st time in 1962 by a group of students (Wiek Röling among others) directly connected to Stylos.

In 1986 the workshop was reinitiated by Herman Hertzberger and an independent group of students. Since then it has been held frequently (annually or bi-annually). Each edition of INDESEM is guided by a particular theme, which is intensively explored during a week-long workshop.

The final results of the workshop, as well as the content of lectures and debates will contribute towards a publication. More than just a memorabilia for participants, this book is a focused effort to contribute to the architectural debate.

For the previous edition of InDeSem, here is their website: 2009.indesem.nl.

*if anyone feels this is inappropriate, it's different from the normal polycount contributions but I think it could be beneficial.

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I can't find a concise description of what 'indesem' is. Not in your post, not on the homepage, not on the about page. There's just a couple of vague blurbs of text.

It's something with workshops. Something with digital media as well. Some jibber jabber about "liquid phenomenology", "grassroots democracy" and other overly complex words.

Give me a 50 word explanation of what the
    -target audience
    -subject
    -goals
    -methods
    -timescale
    are, in an eyecatching manner. By that I mean, a larger font, bright color (pink?) or whatever you can come up with.