Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hacker Chara.

viv
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
viv polycounter lvl 9
Hi Folks !!!

Here is a character i am working on, a post apocalyptic stuff, this guy work as a hacker, I'll make a quick env with lots of stuff later, comments are very wellcome !!! thx :]

manue_11.jpg

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    One issue stands out to me. If the right forearm is amputated, there shouldn't be any muscle there since there's nothing to attach it to on the other end.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe that would depend on where the arm was cut, and how recent the amputation...
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    This is post apocalypse, is there still internet and computers and working electronics or did he USED to be a hacker?

One thing that stuck out to me was the thickness of the fingers on the robotic hand. If this guy is gonna be a hacker, he will need to type fast with that robot hand as well as be quick and accurate with it. Right now the fingers look to square and thick to allow that.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    I was thinking the same as Kiser. The internet represents stability/community/connectedness, which completely contrasts a post-apocalyptic setting and your characters clothing. Unless you meant hacker in a different sense, like maybe an electrical engineer or somethin'.

I don't really see him as someone who's technologically savvy. Maybe if you added some sort of gadget to him. LCD goggles, a high-tech wrist device, etc.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    maybe he hacks electrical doors, post apocalyptic robots and stuff, doesn't have to be the intertron ;)

lovely work on the wrinkles, looking really neat
  • dekorkh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dekorkh triangle
    Super nice! You sir, are a master of wrinkles... wherever there is cloth.. viv is there, making sure it flows majestically as if it was guided by tiny wrinkle spirit fingers (that is how cloth works in real life right?).

... which makes me wonder, you even nicely treated the elbow but the face looks so smooth! There's gotta be room for a wrinkle or two there.

Also, the profile of the seams that suggest the outline of pockets on the pants is too rounded and only dents in, Maybe you could bump the edges of the seams and pinch in the crease?

Also the vertical wrinkles on the front of the boots are out of control. Possibly tone them down and break up the vertical by zigzagging them a bit more maybe even widen them up.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Ooo viv is workin another character.. will be watching this thread very often :D great start
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with everyone else, I think thinner fingers are better for hackers. I love it so far, very very very nice. I don't know but maybe less wrinkles? I don't know many clothes that wrinkly! haha The wrinkles are amazing though.
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice wrinkles, dude ! I agree with the thick finger thing. Also, he needs tools, and pouches and pockets and bags and belts to put those tools in. Right now, aside from his arm, nothing tells us that this guy is a tinkerer.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    Dig the wrinkles also :)
    Only crits i got atm are the head area is lookin kinda plain. Guessing the robot arm is still wip due to being cubes but the arm to prosthetic transition could be a little smoother imo. And the symmetry on some of the folds stands out a bit in places too (back of the vest especially).

Cool character man ^^

and there can totally be computers and electronics and robots and junk in a post apocalyptic environment, what yo peoples talking bout >: |
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work, can't wait to see more close ups :)
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    I think it's a really nice concept and the model is looking awesome so far. The only thing I'd say is personally I think the metal hand is a bit cliche and isn't really needed. It's such a nice concept and has great clothes and colour, why put in that needless metal hand?
  • Treacharous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is nice, good job on the folds on the cloth sculpts.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    nice cloth!!! Any reason your screengrabs are in ortho mode ? My eyes bug out every time I see stuff orthagraphically!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    hey, nice to heard some crits right here.

greevar, nice remark, I didn't think of it yet, like achillesian said, depend of lots of parameters so, maybe i'll remove some muscle just to kill symetry.
    yep Kiser it have to be about a cyperPunk/Post Apo stuff, the hand here is MEGA rough he's gonna have some smooth fingers, with a more plausible mecha system on his hand. The modeling is done, i'll do a rough diffuse before post here .
    I imagine this guy barter eletronic stuff, "pimp"& repair those materials, and with that, hack like a cyber pirate, but still hide & solitary in a kind of "batcave" QG.
    Heartless : I mean twice tinkerer & hacker...I want him able to fight run & think like macgyver !( WHAT A REF ) but I'll add some pockets !
    thx a lot Neox .
    dekorkh thx this message is so kind, you are absolutly right like mention Nizza_waaarg, I wanted to focus n basic shape first, now it's so fun to put some bonus on it! thx for the other objective feedbacks :)
    Jungsik aajohnny Urbanmelon : thx ! have to be smoother fingers so he can pick one's nose.
    Urbanmelon, I intended to suggest it a little bit by the environment, I'll try something like add some pocket, but subtle, thx dude !:)
    Nizza_waaarg : thx for that feeds !!! :)
    chrisradsby: thx !close up on the way !
    circle of friends: hum, I don't really know, I did the same trip for my last chara, I love to mix mecha with human.It's also a subliminal way to suggest war scar->resistence->fight & hack. Hope you gonna like the final design ! thx for the feedz.
    Treacharous Hazardous : Thx a lot, it' the opposite for me, pers is evil for me
    Update very soon :poly128:
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Wow really awesome work man!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    some MarmoTest & a paintover test :
    manue_14.jpg
    manue_13.jpg
    manue_13_paint.jpg
    still fighting with the texture set ...
  • Base
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Really amazing stuff here. I like the changes to the robotic arm, especially the bits that are coming out under the elbow. Makes it feel more like it was made for his particular injury. That cloth is insanely good, I'd kill to see some wires!
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    I like what you've done with it.

His shirt and jacket remind me of Tyler Durden. Very nice.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I love it. What your character could use now is more interesting details in the textures. You could put dirt here and there and the robotic arm could use more decals and stuff. Small warning symbols and texts like what you see on machines.
    Edit: I don't know how you want this character to be but from what I can tell he's supposed to be some sort of badass and not only a computer geek/hacker. You could put some tattoos on him to push that further and also make it more asymmetrical. Some scars here and there would be cool too.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent detailing, and I like how you've handled the cybernetic arm. Very cool stuff.
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    woaahhawa. perhaps balance the robot arm with sumtin else thats techy

Great job gnna watch this
  • Urbanmelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urbanmelon polycounter lvl 7
    This is going along really well, nice renders!

The way his arm sort of stops abruptly where the robot forearm is bothers me. The extremity of an amputated limb is always round. The way you made it looks like the tissue hits the metal slab and just kinda stops against it. Maybe you could hide the transition by making the black metal thingy thicker, make the stump encased inside of it.

As of now, he doesn't look like he's evolving in a post-apocalyptic world, he is way too clean, but I'm guessing you're working on that.

Also his right boot looks really funky on the first image, like the sole is too short or something, very strange (maybe it's a render bug)...
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    hes really cool :) I think my only problem with him is the cloth folds on his trousers, they look awesome but if he bends his knee it looks weird as theres no tension and you have such strong and thick folds going on up the thigh that they look out of place and doesnt transition so well from quite smooth folds to harsh folds. he looks great though, but just think if you animated him those folds on the thigh wouldnt look right.
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    thanks a lot for the suggestion and feedbacks guyz, here is some new stuff:

1080p and fullscreen is recommended :poly003:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vx8kX09cxw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vx8kX09cxw&hd=1[/ame]
    the_hacker_vue1.jpg
    the_hacker_vue2.jpg
    the_hacker_vue3.jpg
    the_hacker_z1.jpg
    the_hacker_z4.jpg
    the_hacker_z2.jpg
    the_hacker_z3.jpg
    texture.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome Stuff!
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Freaking sweet! Beautifully realised.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    looking good, buddy. great character!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    This is brilliant, hats off to you!
  • Melonman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is absolutely beautiful. Great video too. Mind if I ask what the track is on ur vid viv?
  • viv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    viv polycounter lvl 9
    cheers !
    the song is from Jamie Maxwell, a talented guy posting on youtube his acousitc guitar version of video game ... tcheck this out ! :poly128:http://www.youtube.com/user/mymorningjackets#p/u/13/8bxHKfXmxl8
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mymorningjackets#p/u/31/8oCMqkK-Q5s
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mymorningjackets#p/u/16/7U_kgAWoin8