• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I was watching the live blog from kotaku and one of the devs mentioned it was faster to develop for PSP2. Wonder how long it took to port the games over.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    That price is actually not even bad for what you're getting. It's actually quite cheap!
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the question is, is the average gamer willing or able to pay that? i kinda doubt it
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    That price is actually not even bad for what you're getting. It's actually quite cheap!

Haha, didn't sony say something like this when the ps3 came out?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    And Apple says the same thing, like every time a new Mac comes out. And I still never bought one.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who knows what Sony said, they say too much :poly124:.

But I personally think (after adding all the prices of the features in this system) you get much more for you money. The OLED alone is like $1000, well maybe a bit cheaper now.. around $800?

If they remove the OLED and use a cheaper alternative I bet the price would drop by like... 2-2.5x
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    But I personally think (after adding all the prices of the features in this system) you get much more for you money. The OLED alone is like $1000, well maybe a bit cheaper now.. around $800?

If they remove the OLED and use a cheaper alternative I bet the price would drop by like... 2-2.5x

Sony is betting on the long-term cost advantages of OLED. Though more expensive at the moment, it is possible that in the near future the production cost of OLED displays will rapidly decline. They are probably also banking on the power consumption advantages of OLED displays.

On the plus side, the NGP's OLED display will likely have much better contrast ratios and refresh rate than most other portable devices. The viewing angle will be much better as well, which should work well with the NGP's accelerometer.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the plus side, the NGP's OLED display will likely have much better contrast ratios and refresh rate than most other portable devices. The viewing angle will be much better as well, which should work well with the NGP's accelerometer.

This touchscreen OLED display is better than most TV's :). I agree with what you said about the long term profit as well.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    i hope next news will be

valve/steam + psp2
    hmmmm
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire wrote: »
    valve/steam + psp2

Oh, I don't know about that. I seriously doubt that Sony would allow a competing download service like Steam to be integrated into their handheld. I'm pretty sure it will be PSN all the way as far as the downloadable purchases go.

That said, it would not surprise me to see Valve developing for the NGP. They seem to be quite chummy with Sony at the moment, since Sony is apparently a lot more willing to bend on the on-line integration and management of games on their consoles. The cross-platform integration of Portal 2 is the first evidence of this. We may just see NGP games where you can play against people on the PS3 and PC.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Is it a phone as well?

If not, it should be. I'd buy it then. :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has 3G mobile network connectivity, maybe you can do some face chat!

That would be just awesomeeeeee!

OMG new team fortress on the NGP? I already spoint myself from the thought :(
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    brandoom wrote: »
    Is it a phone as well?

If not, it should be. I'd buy it then. :)

Pretty sure Skype is gonna make its way there. or maybe google voice :)
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    From what I've been hearing, it'll have 3G, but it won't function as an actual phone. However, keep your ears peeled, rumour has it they may still announce a PSP phone soon...

Also, where are people getting $400? Or even $1000? From my internet browsingz today, I saw that the expected range is more like $250-$300--which, given the specs, I'd call QUITE reasonable.

Anyway, as always, I'll wait for the initial version to be out a while before I decide to get my own... but I DO anticipate getting one, seeing as I love my PSP3000 so very much :)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    You seem to forget what the 3ds was priced at, and while I think it would be good if the NGP was priced competitively, the hardware is insane, it's going to costly, even when sold at a loss.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Very true. Sony has already prepped people for the insaine price by stating when asked about price. " I hope that when we announce the price, people will say it makes sense."

thats code for its going to be fuck nuts expensive since its pretty crazy all the shit in it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    And with a multicore cpu and gpu I'm not sure they are going to be basing battery-life on full running effect.

Much like how the psp ran underclocked by default.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Wife works at gamestop (I know, I know) but said that pre-orders are stated at $300 but that it is a temporary holding price. If someone pre-orders it they have to tell them the price is subject to change.

@Mezz The $1000 tag started with Gamestops website. It's since been taken down but it stated the price at $999.99.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Also, where are people getting $400? Or even $1000? From my internet browsingz today, I saw that the expected range is more like $250-$300--which, given the specs, I'd call QUITE reasonable.

The $1000 figure is from a GameStop pre-order listing, and is pure speculation. But then, every figure at the moment is pure speculation. Including the figure of $400 that I threw out there.

But I do have a decent reason for expecting it to be that much. Sony has gone on record saying that they intend to sell the hardware for the NGP at a profit. In the past they have always taken a loss leader approach with their gaming hardware. With the NGP they apparently intend to go the iPhone/iPod route with the pricing. Because of that, I am anticipating a minimum price of $400. Portable technology is expensive to produce, and even at $400 I think their profit margin would be very small.

Again, this is just speculation. But I am definitely getting the impression that Sony wants to position the NGP as a competitor to Apple rather than trying to directly against the 3DS. And I believe they will price it accordingly.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Sony has gone on record saying that they intend to sell the hardware for the NGP at a profit.

really? Coulda swore it was just announced that they were taking a loss on this one as well.

Source?
  • sicsided
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sony wants NGP hardware to be profitable.

They learned from their experience with the PSP that trying to go with the loss-leader approach was a mistake. They were going up against Nintendo with the PSP, and they got their asses handed to them despite their best efforts. If they can't dominate the handheld space and make tons of money off of software licencing, they might as well turn a profit on their hardware. It is a less ambitious approach, but much more financially responsible.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Well, that will be interesting to watch. Logic dictates that the loss-leader approach is probably the right one. Microsoft seems to have done well with it, considering they just got into the console market last generation, and got in more than half-way through the cycle. That they got burned on the PSP could have more to do with other factors.

But maybe they're right. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Okay... yesterday, I coulda sworn I saw multiple sites claiming the rumoured range for the NGP would be $250-$300... and now I don't see that anywhere... it must have all been a crazy dream in which I thought Sony would launch with something at an affordable price.

Thanks for bringing me back to cruel reality :(

Ah well, every price drops eventually...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    price is always drop. :)

btw for those who chose older software, PS-one game and maybe casual game.
    you are lucky , because android OS will be granted official playstation emulator.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    MGS and FF7, mmm :)

There already is a PSX emulator right now for Android..need to check that out.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    arshlevon wrote: »
    one of my favorite features is that it runs on android, and you can play all android games from the marketplace, thats pretty awesome, not to mention that if you develop a android game you are also get the psp2 port for free. also heard it ran a scene from MGS4 at 20 frames a sec, so not ps3 level, but not too far off.

Have a link for that info about android and the free psp2 port details Arsh?

I would love if this device had access to android as well and would make it more appealing to me, especially the development aspect.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This video might not share something you guys already don't know, but it's a good watch none the less.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gGtMrQRc_Q[/ame]
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    UDK on the NGP:
    http://www.gamespot.com/video/6287037

Sweeney says something along the lines of "The NGP is 4x more powerful than any mobile device out there today"
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    I'm the only one that still doesnt believe that it can pull the same graphics than ps3? sure, ps3 is nothing fancy, and the smaller res... but well, still, huh.

it is looking delicious, but I hope it does better than first PSP, there werent much good games
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Actually I think cman2k's link proved how wrong you are on all counts Jost.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    JostVice wrote: »
    I'm the only one that still doesnt believe that it can pull the same graphics than ps3? sure, ps3 is nothing fancy, and the smaller res... but well, still, huh.

no, you're not the only one. it's a classic case of launch hype and you can be sure to see shortcomings. NGP will be memory-, storage- and bandwidth-limited like everything else. not to mention battery-life.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the OLED and one of the touch surfaces gone missing on the retail product, for a start. after all they can't go charge the moon for it if they want to shift a few units initially. perhaps they'll have to underclock it like their last handheld to make the battery last a while - plus there were reports saying the prototypes ran HOT.

at the end of the day it's an evolution of the PSP, the rest is launch hype. compare the initial PS3 reveal to what landed on the shelves to see what'll happen next. ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    thomasp wrote: »
    no, you're not the only one. it's a classic case of launch hype and you can be sure to see shortcomings. NGP will be memory-, storage- and bandwidth-limited like everything else. not to mention battery-life.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the OLED and one of the touch surfaces gone missing on the retail product, for a start. after all they can't go charge the moon for it if they want to shift a few units initially. perhaps they'll have to underclock it like their last handheld to make the battery last a while - plus there were reports saying the prototypes ran HOT.

at the end of the day it's an evolution of the PSP, the rest is launch hype. compare the initial PS3 reveal to what landed on the shelves to see what'll happen next. ;)

Exactly, the console manufacturers enjoy to use terms like "it'll look just like ps3 games".

By no doubt is it a powerful handheld, it has a lot of cpu power it seems, but the GPU will decide what you can push to the screen.

And we've already seen what the psp2-uncharted is capable of, which looks very good, but it's not looking like its ps3 counterpart, and we have technical specs, we can compare.

Think rage-iphone vs rage-console.

or if one does not want to believe that, take it the logical way then: if sony has the ability to create a ps3 in pocketsize, and still be energy-effective, and still pack even a screen on there along with numerous other things, why isn't the ps3 any smaller than it is? They could have a ps2-slim sized ps3 out by now.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read or seen anything yet that said the NGP will have "ps3 like graphics". anywhere!

Yet.

Where did you guys read it?

This is pretty cool though:
    In closing its presentation, Sony trotted out Hideo Kojima to show off a cutscene from MGS 4 rendered in real time on the NGP. It was pulled directly from the PS3 version of the game and ran at 20fps, which looked very smooth indeed to our liveblogging eyes.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't read or seen anything yet that said the NGP will have "ps3 like graphics". anywhere!

Yet.

Where did you guys read it?

This is pretty cool though:
    In closing its presentation, Sony trotted out Hideo Kojima to show off a cutscene from MGS 4 rendered in real time on the NGP. It was pulled directly from the PS3 version of the game and ran at 20fps, which looked very smooth indeed to our liveblogging eyes.

Does this hint a bit on the texture memory?

Or by pull did they mean scaled down and resized to work with psp2?
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Does this hint a bit on the texture memory?

Or by pull did they mean scaled down and resized to work with psp2?

Who knows :P, but to be fair you can use the term "ps3 like graphics" in many ways. If you can run Burn Zombie Burn on the ps3 and port it exactly as it is, does that mean the NGP has PS3 like graphics? Or... who knows really.

I still don't know who said that, I think it was just OP.

None the less, the GPU and CPU of this little device is a BEAST!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Who knows :P, but to be fair you can use the term "ps3 like graphics" in many ways.

I guess that's the problem, it's not describing in any way, nor is it specific :P

And it starts of rumours that the ngp has hardware on the ps3 level, all over the internet.

Buuuut... with that said, it's nice that is has a really flexible shader pipeline and some really powerful (for a handheld device) hardware.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    I think this will do really well and likely thump the 3DS. It's bigger than an Iphone and smaller than an Ipad. Bear in mind that the buisness card sized "PSP go" sold next to nothing so, I think the public will like psp2. Price is rumored at around 299. Not bad for what your getting. 3g sounds sexy. It's pretty much a 3g Ipad but with superior hardware.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod

it's what they said during the actual reveal conference, on stage, if I remember correctly
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k wrote: »
    UDK on the NGP:
    http://www.gamespot.com/video/6287037

Sweeney says something along the lines of "The NGP is 4x more powerful than any mobile device out there today"

hmmm the anisotropy setting is slightly bit lower than iphone retina display :(
    hopefully im wrong
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    it's what they said during the actual reveal conference, on stage, if I remember correctly

Oh alright thanks, I hope they're these ones, I just started watching them.

Can't bare to watch the whole thing so i'm taking your word for it :).

I can't wait to actually develop something for this system, I hope they have some sort of XNA type thing. Just a program that can either port an existing game or a engine itself (for general public) would be awesome!

Can't wait, start saving now! ahahah
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Oh alright thanks, I hope they're these ones, I just started watching them.

Can't bare to watch the whole thing so i'm taking your word for it :).

I can't wait to actually develop something for this system, I hope they have some sort of XNA type thing. Just a program that can either port an existing game or a engine itself would be awesome!

Can't wait, start saving now! ahahah

if it helps, it was shortly after the initial reveal. like within 10 minutes. I was following along with Kotaku though (since I don't speak japanese), so they could have twisted it.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    It seems Sony is going more for the crowed that bought up a million ipads in like the first week of its launch then the Nintendo crowed.

They want to sell the NGP for a profit this time since they didnt do that with the PSP. And although most people consider the PSP a failure due to having almost no games and when compared to the DS, people forget that the PSP has sold 63million units. 63 million, thats almost as much as the Wii. Thats pretty crazy and if Sony was making profits off those systems instead of a big loss then they would have made a nice profit.

But now they seem to be doing the smart thing of actually getting game developers to support the platform. Could work out for them if they can sell around those kinda numbers for the NGP. I mean hell they sold 63 million PSP's when there was almost no games for the system. Imagine if they had a ton of games how many they could sell.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Sony has the hardware lovers sold on this, they need to heavily concentrate on the gamer crowd. A few original AAA titles will be the selling point on this one. Call Of Duty, Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance might sell this, but if they release an Original title that ranks up to those guys, it's an instant sell to many gamers.
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a grand piece of hardware, but if anything im more excited about the Playstation suite! An official PS1/2 emulator on android, best idea ever!
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    PS2 emulator, really? care to share the link?

seeing as it seems rather difficult to achieve playable PS2 emulation on a modern day PC and not possible on the current PS3 without the legacy hardware, you'd think it might be a little too much for a cellphone.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I think I saw somewhere earlier in this thread that there will be a PS1 emulator for Android, but I don't recall anything about PS2. Either way, I won't be getting this. Haven't had a portable gaming system since around 2002 as PC and Xbox have been enough for me.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's only PS1 emulation. Playstation Suite is just the colab between Android and Sony where you can play PS1 on the Android systems. Also there is going to be a Sony Store type deal on your Andriod phones and tablets filled with old and new games.

Basically hardware neutral game development network for all handheld devices that come from Android or Sony.